White Lined Dironas MIA?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: White Lined Dironas MIA?

Postby YellowEye » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:37 pm

ljjames wrote:Please keep documenting this stuff... I've seen pretty significant biodiversity changes down in the mid-sound post Sea Star Wasting syndrome, it would be interesting to keep taking notes, present thoughts to the marine ecologists (like Dr. Harvell) and see what they think. When i chatted about the 'post SSWS' time with Dr. Paine (RIP) he believed that we would see a massive biodiversity shift and potentially loss of diversity.

For folks who ask "why log dives" well, you don't need to log the whole dive but things of note (such as more or less of what you are used to seeing) can be helpful when looked at over time and in the 'big picture'.

keep asking questions, keep reporting!

I'm sad to report that the biodiversity downturn is huge all the way thru the San Juan Islands, Neah Bay, and the Port Hardy area as well, based on recent sightings. Reefs that used to be covered with gobs of colorful life, are now acorn barnacle wastelands. Only the super-high current areas seem to be spared. Even on Browning Wall, the current tuck-ins are now white with acorn barnacles. :( Even medium current areas like Lacan channel are bad. The super high current-swept areas are still looking good though....

I have noticed an increase in red rock crabs, as they seem to be one of the few creatures who munch on the barnacles...

-Eric

jmartel
Avid Diver

Postby jmartel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:00 pm

There was a couple on Rockaway (Bainbridge Island) earlier this week. Haven't really seen many others though.

ljjames
I've Got Gills

Postby ljjames » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:49 am

Please keep documenting this stuff... I've seen pretty significant biodiversity changes down in the mid-sound post Sea Star Wasting syndrome, it would be interesting to keep taking notes, present thoughts to the marine ecologists (like Dr. Harvell) and see what they think. When i chatted about the 'post SSWS' time with Dr. Paine (RIP) he believed that we would see a massive biodiversity shift and potentially loss of diversity.

For folks who ask "why log dives" well, you don't need to log the whole dive but things of note (such as more or less of what you are used to seeing) can be helpful when looked at over time and in the 'big picture'.

keep asking questions, keep reporting!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"

Greg Jensen
Perma Narc'd

Postby Greg Jensen » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Last October on a dive at Rosario I recorded Dirona as "abundant" on my REEF form (100+ seen)

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Postby H20doctor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:32 pm

mz53480 wrote:
Scubak wrote:We saw...a Huge Clown on F.I. East Wall

^^^
Probably H2Odoc...

Yep... There tasty underwater snacks .. YUMMY :taco:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen

mz53480
I've Got Gills

Postby mz53480 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Scubak wrote:We saw...a Huge Clown on F.I. East Wall

^^^
Probably H2Odoc...
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!

Scubak
I've Got Gills

Postby Scubak » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 pm

We saw some last week on Fox Island and a Huge Clown on F.I. East Wall
Today was a Flabbelina, very tiny at 3 Tree
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"

theonly_JT
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Postby theonly_JT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:52 am

Wow good to know!! Maybe they'll come back next year?! I saw a bunch of the little Flabellina triophinas at Sund Rock last weekend, pretty cool little guys.
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude."

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Gdog wrote:Great pics, Tom!

Thank you sir!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Postby Gdog » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Great pics, Tom!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Only occasional in Puget Sound, not like in year's past where you could literally get sick of seeing them.

I saw two large gorgeous white lined dirona in their brownish red phase at Norrander's Reef last week. They were so gorgeous I mistook them at first for Golden Dirona.

In fact, nudibranch populations seem to my eye to be down the last few years in Puget Sound.

I hope I'm wrong, or that it's just cyclical.

Finally saw quite a few Flabellina triophina at Octopus Hole last week, the first ones I've seen in Hood Canal in awhile.

Here's hoping to see more!! :partyman:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

mz53480
I've Got Gills

Postby mz53480 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 pm

I remember seeing a small one at Sund rock on Sunday. North wall, about 30fsw.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!

theonly_JT
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

White Lined Dironas MIA?

Postby theonly_JT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:18 pm

I just realized that I haven't seen any white lined dironas around this year. Last year around this time I feel like I saw a lot of them! Has anyone been seeing them?? I love those little critters. :popcorn:
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude."

Return to “Critter Watchers - PNW Marine Life”