the hunter ...

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

the hunter ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Ya think he was hungry?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: the hunter ...

Post by Joshua Smith »

Bob- what an amazing pic! Where did you take that?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Here's Bob, Solo diving, sitting in the same spot for HOURS waiting for just this opportunity to take a pic of this!

AWARD WINNING PHOTO!!!
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

WOW! That's fantastic! :hello2:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

AWESOME ! Perfect shot ... :supz:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Oh... My... Goodness... Awesome! :notworthy:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I'm convinced he gives out pheromones to attract these creatures and events. I believe he took this tonight at Redondo. I was also there, diving with billandwende, pogiguy05, and cardiver, and while we saw some cool stuff, we didn't see anything as cool as this!!
Kelly
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Yup ... that was me that passed you guys as you were heading out. You were heading right for the two lumpies I had just left ... did you find them?

This was over in the eelgrass ... I hadn't been over there in a couple weeks, and decided to head over and see who was home. Most of my lumpie pics didn't turn out so well (wrong strobe setting, mucho backscatter) ... but this one did, as well as some stubby squid pics I took earlier in the dive.

Cardiver and pogiguy were waiting on the beach when I got out of the water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Bob - that is simply a fantastic shot! Outstanding!!! =D>
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Wow! Just.......WoW!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

What a really great shot. Did you have a little "squid blind" you were hiding in until he came by? ;)
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice shot. The question is who is doing what to whom ? It could be a mating thing or an act of canalization. At any rate. Right place + right time = Awesome shot!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dusty2 wrote:Nice shot. The question is who is doing what to whom ? It could be a mating thing or an act of canalization. At any rate. Right place + right time = Awesome shot!
Uh... look closer. No interspecies mating kinkiness going on. Or cannibalistic orgies. One squid. Eating (or trying to eat) what appears to be a Bay Pipefish, or possibly a Tube Snout. :smt064
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Grateful Diver wrote:Yup ... that was me that passed you guys as you were heading out. You were heading right for the two lumpies I had just left ... did you find them?

This was over in the eelgrass ... I hadn't been over there in a couple weeks, and decided to head over and see who was home. Most of my lumpie pics didn't turn out so well (wrong strobe setting, mucho backscatter) ... but this one did, as well as some stubby squid pics I took earlier in the dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah, Bill and I figured it was you. We found one golf ball-sized lumpie. And we heard you also saw that HUGE hermit crab--biggest I've ever seen.
Kelly
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

ktb wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Yup ... that was me that passed you guys as you were heading out. You were heading right for the two lumpies I had just left ... did you find them?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah, Bill and I figured it was you. We found one golf ball-sized lumpie. And we heard you also saw that HUGE hermit crab--biggest I've ever seen.
Yes. Kelly described it as being as "big as your head" to me........
I seriously doubt that! :arsespank:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

cardiver wrote:
ktb wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yes. Kelly described it as being as "big as your head" to me........
I seriously doubt that! :arsespank:
I had forgotten how over-inflated your head was . . .
:neener:
Kelly
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

That was definitely a big hermit crab ... biggest one I've ever seen. I think he was wearing a football helmet ...

Here's that golf-ball size lumpie you saw ... at least I think it's the same one, as I had just left him when I passed you guys ...

Truth to tell, the first 35 minutes of my dive were pretty uneventful ... it wasn't until I turned around and started back that things started happ'nin ... this poor little fellow was the first thing I came across that was worth a picture. Unfortunately for him ... he was worth about 30 pictures ... this is probably the best of 'em, though ...

... and here's a slightly different angle on the hunter ... that's definitely a tubesnout he's dining on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I like this last one even better! Love the colors.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yep that last one is definitely a better angle. Makes it easy to see it's a tube snout that is having a bad day! Love that evil look from the squid.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Stunning! Knock your fins off stunning. WOW WOW WOW!!! Yes, I like the 2nd shot better. Bob, absolutely amazing photo!!! PLEASE OH PLEASE enter that baby into some photo contest - how about the dive expo? (for starters anyway)

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Did I mention "nice shots!!" I mean it. Very, very good photography.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

The level of detail on that lumpie is amazing. And I agree with everyone else--that squid pic is truly remarkable.
Kelly