REEF Site question

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

REEF Site question

Post by Tom Nic »

Hi all!

Didn't want to bother Janna as she has a host of other things on her mind right now, so I thought I would ask you.

Has anyone dove the Tacoma Sewer Pipeline on Ruston Way and also knows the REEF code or name? I couldn't find one the other day, and I searched by a bunch of different names...

Surely someone has done a REEF survey there and knows the name of the site?

Thanks in advance...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Re: REEF Site question

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Tom,

Because of its proximity to Les Davis, I would imagine that you would list it as Les Davis. That is my best educated guess.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Tom,

Because of its proximity to Les Davis, I would imagine that you would list it as Les Davis. That is my best educated guess.
I could do that, but it's not Les Davis it is a completely different site.

We'll get it figured out... either it already has a REEF code or eventually will! :burntchef:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I haven't checked to see if there is a code but if there isn't, on the paper survey foms REEF used to want you to write something like "1/2 mile south of Les Davis" or whatever. Now that is online, there really isn't a way to do that, so I'd just call REEF. If there isn't already a code, they'll give you one.
Hope this helps.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hi guys, I just saw this and will get it taken care of probably in the next few days. I agree it should not be called Les Davis, and unfortunately I'm the only one who assigns zone codes and the folks at REEF HQ won't know what to do.

So I'll get it moving here in a few days for you!

Thanks muchly for your patience...

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

please don't call it the Tacoma Pooper Pipeline :rofl:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Too bad, I did! A new site code is now assigned - and sorry for the delay - thanks for being patient on this.

Tacoma Pooper Pipe / Marine Park Pipeline
47 17.166
-122 29.135

I took the directions found on NWDC and just followed where I thought it was talking about on Google Earth. If you think those coordinates are wrong, let me know and I can change it.

You can now officially do REEF surveys on the Pooper Pipeline!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

Yay! :joshsmith:

I am adding the Tacoma Pooper Pipeline to my list of sites to visit next time I'm in the south Sound!
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Ross, there is no way I am diving a sewer outfall pipe with you. :nutty:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

I didn't say I wanted to go to the end of the pipeline...
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

nwscubamom wrote:Too bad, I did! A new site code is now assigned - and sorry for the delay - thanks for being patient on this.

Tacoma Pooper Pipe / Marine Park Pipeline
47 17.166
-122 29.135

I took the directions found on NWDC and just followed where I thought it was talking about on Google Earth. If you think those coordinates are wrong, let me know and I can change it.

You can now officially do REEF surveys on the Pooper Pipeline!

- Janna :)
Janna, thank you so much - with all you've been going through you don't need to apologize to me or anyone else for the delay!

I want to dive this site a lot more... eel grass beds, sandy bottom, then a pipe covered in tons of life.

Unfortunately my first survey (which I just turned in) will be pretty lame as we aborted our dive not too far in when Bill's camera flooded. Stil saw critters, however, so I turned in a survey!