What kinda fish is this?!?!?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Winter
Dive-aholic

What kinda fish is this?!?!?

Post by Winter »

Very curious of this fishy found by Katie Downs off Ruston Way today. My dive buddy Phill actually shot this picture since it was a bottle collection dive and didn't bring my camera. Looked like a cod/shark mutant. Side of the poor fella was injured, and viz was cloudy cuz we were collectin treasures. Waynne F, Phill and I have never seen this fish in our combined total of 6000+ dives.
WHAT IS IT?!? I can't wait any longer! :smt064
Attachments
M0011276.JPG
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
in_minsk_we_trust
Avid Diver

Re: What kinda fish is this?!?!?

Post by in_minsk_we_trust »

Wow! Hard to tell from the picture.. did it have an eel like body or definable dorsal and anal fins? How big was it? Any chance it could of been a Brown Cat Shark?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Looks like a Pacific Cod. Side view would be something like this:
Only the one I have there is a juvenile, and yours looks like an adult. Others have seen adult Pacific Cod in the last year and have some great shots.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

my thought was Pacific Cod also, with that long barbel.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

It was pretty icky viz at Katie Downs yesterday but after doing some checking yeah it' seems pretty clear it was a Pac. Cod. I'd never seen one and this guy was hanging out in a log, he looked terribly beaten up and didn't move much at all.
When I found a picture in an ID book the pic was a near exact match. Though this guy had many white splotches (like a salmon get's towards the end of the spawn run) all over it's back and sides, you could see that the flesh was deteriorating.
Poor fishy!

Thanks for the help everyone
Here's a picture I found

Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Last Sunday I did a fun dive off "Down Time" at Rosies Ravine. After skirting the top of the deep wall I started a zig-zag pattern up slope. At ~80ft, I came across this guy. Like Janna, I have seen what I believe to be Juveniles, but I have never seen an adult until now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVwj0u_8fC4[/youtube]

-Mark
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Nice find!!! Love how he rests his whisker right on the rock. Like a little whisker shelf. Yup.
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

My own experience has been that Pacific Cod just weren't around to be seen for a while (friends tell me they were quite abundant in certain places up until about the mid eighties) - but I've seen a few recently and I'm hearing more reports like these from other divers, too. Do y'all get the sense that these fishies might be back "in town" to some degree?
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

whatevah wrote:...(friends tell me they were quite abundant in certain places up until about the mid eighties)
I was told that as well. Just south of the Hood Canal Bridge was a hot spot.
whatevah wrote:....Do y'all get the sense that these fishies might be back "in town" to some degree?
Not sure but I can tell you that I have seen a fair population of what appear to be Juveniles off Port Townsend during certain times of the year. Late spring, early summer IIRC.

-Mark