Squid at Alki Junkyard

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Gooch
Submariner

Squid at Alki Junkyard

Post by Gooch »

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/22640176[/vimeo]

Any one know what this squid is doing? I thought it was the mama squid for these eggs but I couldn't figure out what it was doing with this action. A friend thought it was preparing to lay another egg maybe.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Squid at Alki Junkyard

Post by Scubie Doo »

Not sure what it is doing, but that is very cool! It looks like it is depositing another egg.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

+1 on the depositing another egg.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I don't think they deposit eggs with their mouth.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I've seen Caribbean Reef Squid laying eggs in crevices under rocks and they went tentacles first with them splayed out.

I didn't think they had other orifices??? :dontknow:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I tend to agree that it is laying eggs. They do receive the sperm packets orally. It is logical that they would deposit them the same way.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Cool! Didn't know that.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I thought I would put in a few pix of the squid action. I have another short video but the squid is just sitting very still on the eggs and looking at me with it's big eye.
Attachments
alki 056.jpg
alki 055.jpg
alki 053.jpg
alki 051.jpg
alki 049.jpg
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Is it normal that the eggs are as big as the squid depositing them?
Kelly
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'm not sure, but I believe they are egg cases, not a single egg.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

So there are several eggs in each one?
Kelly
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

That's my understanding.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Take a close look at photo #3 and you'll see the actual eggs inside the sacks. Each sack represents the output of one squid so that means that one big bunch of female squid created that clutch. These guys only live from 4 to 9 months so they have to produce allot of young to survive.

From the cephalopod page:
Loligo opalescens eggs are laid on sandy bottom substrates in 10-50 m depth, although there is a report of a shrimp trawler pulling up eggs from 800 m. Females encapsulate hundreds of eggs in a sheath that is made of many layers of protein. Bacteria grow between the layers and may serve as an antibiotic to prevent fungal infection. Females insert the egg capsules into the sand with a sticky substance that anchors them in place so that the ocean surge can aerate them. The presence of eggs on the bottom of tanks stimulates females to lay more eggs. Groups of capsules are placed in masses that can extend into egg beds. Some egg beds can cover acres of the ocean floor. The eggs take 3-5 weeks to hatch. The warmer the water, the shorter the incubation time. Bat stars, Asterina miniatus, are the most prevalent predators of eggs. Fish do not eat them, although they will nip at eggs not covered by the sheath. There is no brooding or parental care.

If your interested the article is here. http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/Lopal.php
LittleGoat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LittleGoat »

It is most likely not from the mouth, but instead from the siphon. It point in the same direction at the tentacles and arms. It is the area that the jet of water comes shooting out of in a threat response.
I am not a capricorn... I am a Seagoat.