Type of gunnel or...?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Type of gunnel or...?

Post by lavachickie »

I've taken a cruise through Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest but must have missed these...

What type of gunnel is this? I've seen them at Mike's Beach, also this weekend at West Wall of Pulali and Pinnacle. Beautiful dark pink/red.

Bigger sizes at

And these guys... saw them at Pinnacle. They look like someone stuck a sea cucumber in a crack and the end exploded. :)

Many thanks for the help!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: Type of gunnel or...?

Post by oldsalt »

A lot of people on this forum are better than me, but I think the top one is a Longfin Gunnel, Pholis clemensi. The bottom seems to be the extended tentacles of Cucumaria. Nice pictures.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I believe it's a longfin gunnel and orange sea cucumber.
Kelly
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I'm relieved that Kelly agrees with me. I gave away most of my keys and guidebooks to my god-grandson who graduated from UW school of fisheries. I kept a copy of Kozloff because he signed it and gave it to me. Kozloff says the orange sea cucumber, Cucumaria miniata, lives in crevices in rocks or under rocks piled upon one another and reveals itself only through the extended tentacles. Since my source is dated (ancient), the scientific name may have changed. They do that you know. I got some pictures of Cucumaria last week at Sucia Island - tentacles only.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Hi,

Your gunnel seems to be a pretty good match for the Red Gunnel Pholis schulzie which is a species not often reported. It could also, as others have mentioned, be a Longfin Gunnel but I suspect that it would take a number of additional photos, including some detailed macro shots of the back and face markings, to differentiate between the two. Penpoint & Rockweed gunnels also can be red in color but I don't think they have the patterning that is shown in your excellent photograph. If you see these regularly it might be worth talking to a professional icthyologist and arranging to provide a captured specimen.

The second picture is Cucumaria miniata AKA Orange, Red, Vermillion, or Burrowing Sea Cucumber. The one in your photo has only extended its feeding tentacles about halfway. These guys are quite common in shallow water but you'll almost never see one unless it has extended its tentacles; when they're retracted the animal is very well hidden. The best time to see them is when there is a lot of phytoplankton in the water. When you do see one take a few minutes to watch it feed; the motion of the tentacles being pushed down the animal's throat one by one (to swallow the collected food) is almost mesmerizing.

Hypnotically yours,

Alex
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I'm pretty sure it's a longfin, as it almost exactly matches the pic in Lamb and Hanby (pg. 368, photo B). Plus, the photos I could find online for Reds didn't seem to have as "busy" of a pattern of markings.

But I'm no expert . . . :tomnic:
Kelly
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

My vote is for Longfin Gunnel (Pholis clemensi) and Orange Sea Cucumber (Cucumaria miniata). We saw an Orange Sea Cucumber today that had NO tentacles extended. When I shone my light on it to point it out to my student it drew itself in and as it almost disappeared from view, we got a very good look at its pentaradial symmetry of the tube feet-you could clearly see a "star" shape as it closed up. It was very cool.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Tidepool Geek wrote:Hi,

Your gunnel seems to be a pretty good match for the Red Gunnel Pholis schulzie which is a species not often reported. It could also, as others have mentioned, be a Longfin Gunnel but I suspect that it would take a number of additional photos, including some detailed macro shots of the back and face markings, to differentiate between the two. Penpoint & Rockweed gunnels also can be red in color but I don't think they have the patterning that is shown in your excellent photograph. If you see these regularly it might be worth talking to a professional icthyologist and arranging to provide a captured specimen.

The second picture is Cucumaria miniata AKA Orange, Red, Vermillion, or Burrowing Sea Cucumber. The one in your photo has only extended its feeding tentacles about halfway. These guys are quite common in shallow water but you'll almost never see one unless it has extended its tentacles; when they're retracted the animal is very well hidden. The best time to see them is when there is a lot of phytoplankton in the water. When you do see one take a few minutes to watch it feed; the motion of the tentacles being pushed down the animal's throat one by one (to swallow the collected food) is almost mesmerizing.

Hypnotically yours,

Alex
Definitely a longfin gunnel. No hesitation. I see then every dive at Point Hudson.
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Hello again,

Dusty2 wrote: Definitely a longfin gunnel. No hesitation. I see then every dive at Point Hudson.

I stand corrected. On closer examination I think the most noticeable difference (which I managed to not notice) is the head oramentation; it seems to be more elaborate on P. schultzi than on P. clemensi.

A side note: In Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest the photo that Andy Lamb uses to illustrate his description of P. schultzi was taken at Point Hudson.

Mistakenly yours,

Alex
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Tidepool Geek wrote:Hello again,

Dusty2 wrote: Definitely a longfin gunnel. No hesitation. I see then every dive at Point Hudson.

I stand corrected. On closer examination I think the most noticeable difference (which I managed to not notice) is the head oramentation; it seems to be more elaborate on P. schultzi than on P. clemensi.

A side note: In Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest the photo that Andy Lamb uses to illustrate his description of P. schultzi was taken at Point Hudson.
That's because "Dusty2" took the photo that's in Lamb's book.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Greg Jensen wrote:
Tidepool Geek wrote:A side note: In Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest the photo that Andy Lamb uses to illustrate his description of P. schultzi was taken at Point Hudson.
That's because "Dusty2" took the photo that's in Lamb's book.
:highfive: :highfive:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

Tidepool Geek wrote:Hi,

Hypnotically yours,

Alex
For cuke watchers everywhere ;) it is fun to watch.
Attachments
cuke_PO.jpg
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice sequence, Scott. They are even cooler to watch on video. Pretty darn coordinated for a glorified worm!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Greg Jensen wrote:

That's because "Dusty2" took the photo that's in Lamb's book.[/quote]

And the one in Milton Love's also :neener: