One Eyed Ratfish

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

One Eyed Ratfish

Post by Tom Nic »

Ok, Bassman and I saw this big old boy on a night dive at Three Tree. He is one of the larger Rat Fish that I have seen.

He looks like he lost or injured an eye ...perhaps in a battle of some sort? Disease or parasites? I was thinking of posting his eye on the Eye ID Thread, but figured that was an unfair advantage! :rr:

He was more relaxed about being around us than the Rat Fish typically are. Mature perhaps? Or perhaps he couldn't see us as well?

Anybody else seen him? I bet he's been around a season or two. How about a NWDiveclub name for him?

Ideas anyone?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

He's a Pirate!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

How about Cyclops, or One-Eyed Willy?
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I really like "Cyclops," but I think we should name him "The Reverend" after the gentleman who discovered him! Next person to photograph "The Reverend" at 3TN gets a free one-day dive sherpa duty, including a back massage, from Bassman! :smt035 :bootyshake:
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Woo-hoo! Guess where I'm diving next! :supz:

-Valerie
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

You'll have to find a female name because it doesn't have an intromittent organ on its head...meaning it's female =)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sure... just barge in here and show us how smart you are! :prayer:

I think the "One-Eyed Reverend" is perfect - named for the discovering party, non-gender specific.

AND remember the game... the next person who photographs this particular ratfish wins a day with Bassman :smt035 as your personal dive sherpa.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Haha, sorry! I teach a fish biology lab here at the UW =D
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:Woo-hoo! Guess where I'm diving next! :supz:

-Valerie
Uh ... Redondo, I hope (see ya there in about an hour) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Sounder wrote:AND remember the game... the next person who photographs this particular ratfish wins a day with Bassman :smt035 as your personal dive sherpa.
I note with wonder and amazement the fact that BASSMAN's services are being "volunteered" by someone other than himself....most curious!

How does that work....exactly?

:bootyshake:
Last edited by John Rawlings on Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

John Rawlings wrote:
Sounder wrote:AND remember the game... the next person who photographs this particular ratfish wins a day with Bassman :smt035 as your personal dive sherpa.
I note with wonder and amazement the fact that BASSMAN's services are being "volunteered" by someone other than himself....most curious!

How doesthat work....exactly?

John...you have to remember that Sounder thinks he is the volunteer coordinator for the club. :salute: He volunteers me for stuff all the time. I usually end up smacking him around later. :violent3:
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

rjarnold wrote:You'll have to find a female name because it doesn't have an intromittent organ on its head...meaning it's female =)
An introwho organ? Huh? Can you say that on a family friendly dive forum? #-o Fish have "organs" on their heads? :smt119 Or is it only ratfish? I KNEW I shouldn't have been absent when they taught that in school... Dad's very pathetic birds and bees lecture did NOT cover ratfish! :la: :book:
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Haha - here's a picture of the male. Notice the little thing sticking out at the top of its head. This is only for ratfish. Scientists believe it is used to grasp the female during courtship, but I don't believe it's ever been seen.

http://norb.homedns.org/nwp/storycode/a ... ure-56.jpg

Family friendly, what's that?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

rjarnold wrote:Haha - here's a picture of the male. Notice the little thing sticking out at the top of its head. This is only for ratfish. Scientists believe it is used to grasp the female during courtship, but I don't believe it's ever been seen.

http://norb.homedns.org/nwp/storycode/a ... ure-56.jpg

Family friendly, what's that?
Do you mean the light colored patch on the bridge of it's nose / forehead kind of? That's about all I can see "sticking out"... and it sure doesn't look like it could "grasp" anything!?

As far as family friendly :-) we've had some folks go overboard with photos posted that would be frowned on at work by some people's bosses... haven't had any complaints about fish biology or invert reproduction yet, and we have LOTS of talk about that here! :-) \:D/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tom - it actually can extend out almost like a jointed finger. It's hard to describe! If anyone can manage to find a photo or a link of a photo showing it extended, it would be MUCH more clear.

Still, like rjarnold said, no one, as far as I know, understands how it really works! Whenever you happen to see one extended you will understand once again that the good Lord has a sense of humor!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

When I was looking for photos (google images, "ratfish") there was a drawing of one that was extended. I didn't use it since it wasn't a 'real' photo though, and I can't look it up right now because I'm on dial-up :) But just do a search and look for the pencil drawn one...think it's on the 2nd page of images.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Here it is:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DG

You can see how it extends out over the face, almost like a finger. I've seen it underwater, but never when I had a camera.

- John

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pinkpadigal wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:

How doesthat work....exactly?

John...you have to remember that Sounder thinks he is the volunteer coordinator for the club. :salute: He volunteers me for stuff all the time. I usually end up smacking him around later. :violent3:

Hey, I'm just trying to create a fun little game to give someone a fun little prize. The fact that I volunteered "Tickle-Me-Bassman (Keith can explain)" to carry all the gear for someone isn't my fault. :bootyshake: I LOVE these games! \:D/ :bounce:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

John Rawlings wrote:Whenever you happen to see one extended you will understand once again that the good Lord has a sense of humor!
(Oh the jokes that are going through my head) :supz:

So, whenever you happen to see one extended, did you disturb something or is he just "happy to see you?"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:Whenever you happen to see one extended you will understand once again that the good Lord has a sense of humor!
(Oh the jokes that are going through my head) :supz:

So, whenever you happen to see one extended, did you disturb something or is he just "happy to see you?"
Ok now, Easy there Sounder... Down Boy... Easy... Easy...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Okay now Sounder!

My back can barely carry my own gear much less than anyone elses.
and as for the Back massage, "Tickle me, Not!" ...I don't think so!
Elmo wont go there!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

You guys are funny. :partyman: Hey, at least I didn't name MY crotch-strap after YOU!!! #-o :bootyshake:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hey I have not posted the fact that every time I don my BC , the last thing I do is grab my "Doug" and clip it.

oop's #-o

Oh well, :dontknow: now that it's out there...

Every time anyone has to clip a "Crotch Strap" just think to yourself...

"Doug!" as you strain to reach for it.

I often find myself asking my dive buddy (tom Nic), "Have you seen my Doug?" "oh yea, there it is. It was caught up, under my BC!"

Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sadly, this is a true phenomenon. It started after King 5 was interviewing Rawlings during our infamous snow-dive, and I said (with my hood already on so I was accidently speaking louder than usual) "Hey, where's my crotch strap?!" #-o