Slug hunting at Titlow today

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

Slug hunting at Titlow today

Post by dphershman »

Last edited by dphershman on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Hershman :smt024
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Slug hunting at Titlow today

Post by lundysd »

stellar photos -- A good Hermissenda shot always cheers me up :)

I haven't seen any Onchidoris around here in a long time, so it's nice to see that they're returning.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Very nice. For some reason, lots of Dironas here on Whidbey too ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Jan K wrote:Very nice. For some reason, lots of Dironas here on Whidbey too ...

thanks!

This seems to be a rather banner year for them everywhere I've been lately. And they're all fairly good sized as well.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Lovely photos and an awesome rig!
If you want to see barnacle eaters come on up to PT. The place is crawling with them right now and sure to be for a long time judging from all the egg masses covering everything. I have noticed that they need to lay allot of eggs cause the hermit crabs just love them. Funny thing though, the more there are the harder they are to see. When they are massed together on the rocks they blend so well that people just don't see them even when I point right at them!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The big dironas are out in force at Les Davis, as well. Must be the nudibranch tourist season or something :rofl:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Judging by the photos, Id say your lighting is " Spot ON ". Luv the Starship ! it shows alot of research went on in that rig !! GREAT PHOTOS! would a Nikon D40 fit that rig ?
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Blow-N-Bubbles wrote:Judging by the photos, Id say your lighting is " Spot ON ". Luv the Starship ! it shows alot of research went on in that rig !! GREAT PHOTOS! would a Nikon D40 fit that rig ?
Not that particular case but Ikelite does make a case for the D-40
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Blow-N-Bubbles wrote:Judging by the photos, Id say your lighting is " Spot ON ". Luv the Starship ! it shows alot of research went on in that rig !! GREAT PHOTOS! would a Nikon D40 fit that rig ?

Thanks!

Yes, ikelite makes a housing for the D40 that would work in a setup like this. But given the cost of all the parts that go in this I'd suggest that you spring for a newer D3100, D5000 or even a D7000. These have twice the megapixels of the D40, plus they have a video mode you can use if you like.

This setup was assembled over several years. First thing to get is the housing plus a single strobe. Add a second strobe as your budget allows. I just got the focus light this last summer, it makes focusing on tiny objects a lot easier, as dof gets critically narrow. The focus light also has a red light that acts as a kind of 'stealth' mode during night dives, as UW critters don't see red very well and consequently don't get freaked out when I approach.

As for the abundance of Dirona, I recall that a couple of years ago I hardly saw any, now they're everywhere. I used to see lots of Clowns at Titlow, but there were none at all yesterday. Same with Leopards. I wonder if some smart researcher has ever thought of looking at the relationships between population levels of slug species... I mean this year it Frosteds, next year will be something else's turn to be dominant? Would be interesting.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Terrific shots!! =D> That sure is an impressive rig. With the converter, that is 126mm, 35mm equivalent. Does it take some practice to get used to shooting at that focal length? I have a D90 for my above the water use, not plans to take it under water. I am still using the YS-90 strobe that you sold me a few years ago, it works great! Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

DiverBob wrote:Terrific shots!! =D> That sure is an impressive rig. With the converter, that is 126mm, 35mm equivalent. Does it take some practice to get used to shooting at that focal length? I have a D90 for my above the water use, not plans to take it under water. I am still using the YS-90 strobe that you sold me a few years ago, it works great! Bob

Glad you're using the strobe (you got a great deal!)

lets see..... 60mm x 1.4 X 1.5 = 126mm Yep!

Its a bit harder to use than just the 60mm by itself due to the increased magnification and the shallower dof. But its worth it to get the extreme closeups of the tiny Flabellinas that I figured would be there.
yodelhawk
Frequent Bubbler

Post by yodelhawk »

All I can say is "Wow!" What cool pics!