Whidbey Island Critters

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Goose neck barnacle

Postby Jan K » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:08 pm

They are reported as being common elsewhere, but I found only single individual at Keystone Jetty. Maybe not rough water enough for them.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Postby Sounder » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:59 am

Zen Diver 2 wrote:Poor Black Rockie.... :pale: :crybaby:

Fortunately, that hook will rust out and he'll be just fine. In the meantime, I imagine he'll have a good reminder NOT to bite things that look like that.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Postby Zen Diver » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:53 am

Poor Black Rockie.... :pale: :crybaby:

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:27 pm

Wow! What a picture! Each time I think I've seen it all, Jan continues to amaze... :supz: =D>
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

Jan K
I've Got Gills

hooks hurt

Postby Jan K » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:20 pm

Not a good feeling... #-o

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Postby Nwbrewer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:28 am

Tom, vis at mukilteo was probably in the 20' range last night if you don't mind driving a bit to get to the vis. Of course with the I-5 Mess starting tonight, it's gonna be hard for folks to move from one end of the sound to the other.

Jake

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:49 am

Heck, I could hardly see them after they were blown up! #-o

Great find Jan! =D>

My guess is that if you're a juvie crab about the safest place you could be around a star is on it's back!

It's fun finding stuff after you take a picture! Although, with my new Sea Vision mask and it's wonderful bifocal I'm seeing all kinds of stuff that I didn't know was there!

Now if the viz would improve... Hood Canal from surface to 35fsw was maybe 3'. I need to go check out some of the local amazing viz people have been talking about!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Postby John Rawlings » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:10 am

Hi, Jan!

Did you see those tiny crabs before you took the photos, or did you notice them after you down-loaded the images? I don't even think that my old eyes would have seen them!

Great stuff!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Postby Tangfish » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:25 pm

Jan, have you ever considered making a book out of your wonderful photos and illustrations? I'd surely be a buyer, as would many here. :book:

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:41 pm

Jan, I love your pictures for so many reasons.

When I took Laurel LeFever's fabulous marine life identification class, Laurel started it by saying he teaches it to convince people that there's more to see in the Sound than wolf eels and GPOs. His class and your photographs carry the same message -- move slowly, inspect closely, and you will see and learn amazing things about the life in our local waters.

Thank you for your ongoing contributions to my education!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Sunflower star mother

Postby Jan K » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:13 pm

Most of the time, the Sunflower Star is involved in some unsavory action, usually eating some other invertebrate or even another Sunflower star. So I was surprised to find a scores of tiny crabs finding comfort in the arms of one of the marauders..

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Crab season

Postby Jan K » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:07 pm

When I got to the scene, the crab was not struggling at all, so I don't really know how it got in there, I see sometimes crabs hiding next to the anemones, and not getting caught. Maybe the crabbing was closed.. #-o

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:04 pm

Sea of Green wrote:Second question, what kind of lighting are you using for it? Built-in flash or external strobe? Single or dual strobes?.

Sorry, forgot to mention the lighting - Ikelite DS-125 external, single strobe. I started with Ikelite DS-50, but the battery compartment kept on flooding. I am thinking about adding a second strobe, it just gets too bulky, the rig I got is already quite heavy...and expensive (for my diving budget :) )

Sea of Green

Postby Sea of Green » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Jan K wrote:Kirsten, I am always open to suggestions, if there is somebody who knows about publishing, well, lets see what can be done, thanks .

Sea of Green: I have Olympus C-8080 in Ikelite housing, it is a Point and Shoot camera, the lens is fixed, 7.1 - 35.6 mm zoom (digital #s).

Second question, what kind of lighting are you using for it? Built-in flash or external strobe? Single or dual strobes?

And yes, I also would gladly pay to have a poster-size print of your work suitable for framing, like a 12X18 or larger. I know somebody who does that sort of thing. If you're interested, I'll pm you his contact info.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Postby Sounder » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:54 am

Exactly! You could continually add volumes to it!

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:30 am

[quote="Sounder"
I think having a way to print all his works to date and put them in a book that could be continuously added to would be perfect... Jan's work is like a cell phone - the minute you get it, it's out-dated.[/quote]

Sounder, funny you mentioned it, that was one of the hurdles I try to deal with. I thought maybe it the "book" was spiral binded, there could be supplements added periodically to keep it up to date. But publishing is subject I don't know anything about..

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Postby Sounder » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:23 am

Jan K wrote:Kirsten, I am always open to suggestions, if there is somebody who knows about publishing, well, lets see what can be done, thanks .

I think having a way to print all his works to date and put them in a book that could be continuously added to would be perfect... Jan's work is like a cell phone - the minute you get it, it's out-dated.

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:43 am

Kirsten, I am always open to suggestions, if there is somebody who knows about publishing, well, lets see what can be done, thanks .

Sea of Green: I have Olympus C-8080 in Ikelite housing, it is a Point and Shoot camera, the lens is fixed, 7.1 - 35.6 mm zoom (digital #s).

Sea of Green

Postby Sea of Green » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:04 am

Jan, what camera and lens are you using to get these great macros?

Scubak
I've Got Gills

Postby Scubak » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:32 pm

Jan,
If we could find you a publisher or get you published...would you?
Your work is great and timeless and very special.
Thanks for this thread.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"

BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Postby BbbleMkr » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:06 pm

And, if you ever decide to compile your art into book form, point me to the queue, I'll have VISA in hand.

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Oregon Hairy Triton

Postby Jan K » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:43 am

Well, thank you all - your kind words are encouraging.
So on we go with Whidbey Island critters. It seems that the Oregon Hairy Triton is about finished with their parenting job - many of the egg capsule spirals are empty. Next time you have the chance to watch the Triton lay eggs, stop and watch them for while as they jerk and twist on top of the capsules laying those eggs... \:D/

BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Postby BbbleMkr » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:37 pm

Love them, love them! Please don't stop!

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Postby Grateful Diver » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:16 pm

Jan, your pictures and the stories you create around them continue to be my all-time favorite forum reading.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:51 pm

Jan, don't ever think that people aren't looking at these wonderful pages! Every time I open a site and one of your threads comes up as having new posts, I look to see if you are the poster, and if so, I immediately go to see what you have added.

Not only do you do beautiful photography and clever, funny artwork, but these pages are an incredible critter identification resource as well. You have multiple photographs, frequently from different angles, and identify the creature as well as add information about its habits. As I've said before, these really should be collected into book form. But failing that, KEEP THEM COMING!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames

Return to “Critter Watchers - PNW Marine Life”