Whidbey Island Critters

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Love your stuff Jan! So enjoyable... :prayer:

Did you resize the pics? Or did you use Spatman's suggestion?

And for the record, I'd scroll upsidedownsideways to see your stuff! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

Scubak
I've Got Gills

Postby Scubak » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:03 pm

Great Photos Jan,
Your work is fantastic...
And educational.
Love it and keep em coming.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Postby Sounder » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:28 pm

LCF wrote:Prior to this year, I had only ever seen one of these critters, but this year, it seems we're encountering them on almost every dive, although they're quite small. Anybody else feel as though there are more of them than usual?

I always seem to see them during my descent... then I hit the brakes, get my buddy's attention and point to it... then they eventually get close enough to see that I'm not crazily pointing at the water... until then, they're thinking "yeah Doug, I'm swimming in the water too." #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Prior to this year, I had only ever seen one of these critters, but this year, it seems we're encountering them on almost every dive, although they're quite small. Anybody else feel as though there are more of them than usual?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames

enchantmentdivi
Perma Narc'd

Re: Winged Sea Slug

Postby enchantmentdivi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:45 am

Jan K wrote:Well, when I found clusters of them next to what I believe are their eggs, I realized how limited my horizons are - there were hundreds of them! The eggs are the giveaway, so keep a lookout ! :)

OH MY OH MY OH MY! Jan, you just answered a question from a dive I did about 5 years ago at KVI. A few of us were diving off of a buddy's boat, and we didn't quite drop down on the reef itself. We ended up doing a sand dive. Every 2-3 yards, we come across a pile of hundreds of those eggs. None of us knew what they were. After a while, it became kinda creepy because there were literally dozens, if not hundreds, of those piles of eggs--each pile containing hundreds of eggs. After the dive, I looked in books, I described them to others, etc, and I could never find out what they were. I finally just gave up. I think I had almost forgotten about that dive and those mystery eggs because I have never seen them since.....until now, looking at your photos!!!! YAY--you've solved the mystery for me!!! Thanks Jan!
Jenn

Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Postby Diver_Dave » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Love your pics. on here...
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Winged Sea Slug

Postby Jan K » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 am

Until now, my encounters with the Pacific Wing Stomach, aka Winged Sea Slug, aka Pacific Wingfoot snail..... were one on one basis, so I considered them rare. Well, when I found clusters of them next to what I believe are their eggs, I realized how limited my horizons are - there were hundreds of them! None of them "flying" so at first I did not know what they were, but here they are, another Whidbey Island Critter surprise. The eggs are the giveaway, so keep a lookout ! :)

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Postby Zen Diver » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:04 am

Hitchhiking? Piggyback ride?

\:D/

-Valerie

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Hmmm.... sex or cannibalism... eh? :rr: ...would they "joust" for hunting or mating territory? OK, perhaps I'm overthinking this and giving Mr. Lewis too much credit, but... :book:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Moon snails

Postby Jan K » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:32 pm

Moonsnails are not rarity in our water, and most of the time they are just cruising the sea floor, looking for food. After taking few pictures, usually I move on, for how many photos of them you want ? But time to time I come upon situation which get my extended attention. Their Cockle hunting shenanigans are always fun to watch, but this time I found something new, to which I have no answer. Mating ritual ? On two occasions on the same dive I found two Lewis's moonsnails together, the first encounter (upper shot), they were already disengaging) and on second encounter, one was riding on top of the other. Any ideas ? :dontknow:

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Postby Zen Diver » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:21 am

I don't think I've ever seen Buffalo Sculpin eggs, thanks for sharing Jan! Awesome shots, as always. =D>

-Valerie

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Buffalo sculpin

Postby Jan K » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:41 pm

This Buffalo sculpin was well camouflaged, but the freshly laid eggs gave him away.

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Callused tunicate

Postby Jan K » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:55 pm

Thank you all, here is something from the tunicate world, solitary critter, unlike all the other colorful tunicates around it... Until recently, it went by the name Ascidia callosa.

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Postby nwscubamom » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:06 am

I like how their eyes are widely spaced - giving them a bit of personality!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------

WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Postby WylerBear » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:06 am

Jan,
Great photos, as always. I am absolutely captivated by the head on shot of the Purple crab. It's fantastic!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Postby Zen Diver » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:58 am

Love the shots Jan, they are darn cute critters!

-Valerie

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Shore crabs

Postby Jan K » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:33 pm

While finishing dive in the shallow water, look out for small crabs, very numerous at times, some color variations too.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Postby spatman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:16 pm

why isn't this thread a sticky anymore?

i didn't see it and thought maybe it had gotten deleted! :pale:

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Postby Grateful Diver » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:40 pm

LCF wrote:Beautiful photographs, as usual, Jan! I've never seen one of the pink ones.

That's 'cuz you'll usually find them at places where there's nothing else to see except sand and sea pens ... Seahurst Park, Owens Beach, Steilacoom, and Fox Island West Wall (if you don't find the wall, that's about all you'll see) for example.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:50 am

Beautiful photographs, as usual, Jan! I've never seen one of the pink ones.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Pink Tritonia

Postby Jan K » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:54 am

Winds are blowing and rain is falling. In the protected waters of Holmes Harbor, I came across two of the large slugs which are considered common, but which I found only once, single specimen, three years ago at Langley. Finding these two nudibranchs made my day, regardless of the mayhem above the water..

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Postby Grateful Diver » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:14 am

LOL - this one's great!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Leopard dorid

Postby Jan K » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:49 am

And the underwater safari goes on in the New Year..

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Lingcod

Postby Jan K » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:52 pm

Yesterday I made last dive of 2007 at Langley and found first two Lingcod egg masses of this season.
Image[/img]

I wish everybody here on the NWDC HAPPY NEW YEAR !
What a great group of people...

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:58 am

Jan, getting a chance to come up to Whidbey and meet, and perhaps dive with (or alongside of) you is very high on my list of things I'd like to accomplish in 2008!

Return to “Critter Watchers - PNW Marine Life”