Whidbey Island Critters

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Postby Dusty2 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Good grief, Are you sre there's a critter there! I don't think I'd know it if I saw it.

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Postby nwscubamom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:51 pm

Good grief those are well-disguised!!!
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Postby Grateful Diver » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:29 am

I gotta wonder how many of those things I've swam over and dismissed as a kelp leaf ... as usual, great pics, Jan ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Sapsuckers in love

Postby Jan K » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:02 pm

Revisited Lagoon Point waters and found that not only the Hedgpeth"s Sapsuckers are still there, but that they are making sure that there be more of them in the future =D>

Last edited by Jan K on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Oh, I love the way the cartoon blends into the photography on this one, Jan!

I've only done the Fingers twice, but neither time did we see a whole lot of life. The structure is interesting, though.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames

WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Postby WylerBear » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:36 pm

The Black & White Pens are so cool! Very nice shot.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Postby John Rawlings » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Great shots, Jan....as always!

You never know WHAT you will find on the "Fingers". Several years back my buddy, John Campbell, and I found one of the largest octopuses we have ever seen there in a huge clay cave. There was a stack of crab and clam shell debris cascading down from the mouth of the den that was darn near 6 feet deep!

Sometimes I have seen both the "Fingers" and the Ferry completely COVERED with both fish and invertegrate life, while at other times it is like there is no life on them at all....it all depends on the time of year.

I suspect that every site in the Sound is that way....it all just shows that we need to dive them as much as possible just to see what shows up!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Possession Point Fingers

Postby Jan K » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:31 pm

Not so far from the Possession Point ferry ( don't want to swim the distance between them), are the Possession Point Fingers. Somewhat different terrain, interesting formations, not so much sea life during my visit, but promising for sure...

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:57 pm

LCF wrote:Jan, how are you doing the Possession Point Ferry? With a charter, or your own boat, or how?

Even better then that, I found a friendly soul who lives on Whidbey, owns a boat and is willing to take me out :supz:

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:46 am

Jan, how are you doing the Possession Point Ferry? With a charter, or your own boat, or how?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Another visit

Postby Jan K » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:24 am

It looks like February is trying to erase the memory of gloomy winter in my mind. I am diving a lot - which is great, but lagging behind with processing pictures - which is not so great... Another dive on the Possession Point ferry on Monday, when the weather was sooooo nice.

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Postby Grateful Diver » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:28 am

Spectacular, as usual ... your diver is exactly what Cheng and I looked like on our second dive at Skyline Wall on Monday ... which is when I took that picture I'm currently using as an avatar ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Deception Pass

Postby Jan K » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:11 am

President's weekend was such a beauty, the weather was perfect. We should have more of them, got enough ex- presidents to cover the year..:) And the tides were great too, so Deception Pass was just the right place to celebrate. I am still researching the name for this sponge, so as for now, the Finger sponge must suffice, even if it looks more like a Saguaro cactus then my hand... \:D/

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:16 am

Valerie, thank you. It was one of the dives when nothing much was showing up to aim my camera at, so when the crab rose up from the muck ....

Lynne - yes the Possession ferry is a great dive. I wish I had a real wide angle lens to capture more of the scene ...

Bob, as I said before, I live on Whidbey, so it is so much easier for me to meet you here, just let me know ahead. Although, I missed already couple opportunities to do so.. ](*,)
And I agree with your seasonal theory, and not only on the Pink tritonia..

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Postby Grateful Diver » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:48 am

I've been seeing a lot of Pink Tritonias lately ... wonder if it's a seasonal thing.

Like Lynne ... I would love to hook up with you for a dive, Jan ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:45 am

Ah, the Possession Point Ferry -- So far, my favorite Puget Sound dive. Great page, Jan!

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Postby Zen Diver » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:36 am

I love the Cowboy Crab Jan! Brought a smile to my face this morning.

Thanks.

-Valerie

Jan K
I've Got Gills

More

Postby Jan K » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:10 am

Another week went by, busy diving, but no new critters sighted, at least the weather was nice :salute:

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:27 pm

LCF wrote:I'd sure love to get up to Whidbey Island one of these days and actually meet (and maybe even DIVE with) you.

Just let me know when you coming. This weekend I am taking Janna's REEF fish and invert classes in Anacortes, but usually I can always find time to meet you..

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 pm

I try to get out pretty regularly, but rarely several days in a row!

I'd sure love to get up to Whidbey Island one of these days and actually meet (and maybe even DIVE with) you.

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:18 pm

LCF wrote:You've been busy, Jan! Hope you figure out what's bugging your strobes.
What are the tritonias climbing on in that last picture?

Trying to escape the dreary weather above \:D/
Still trying to pinpoint the problem, down to the bulkhead connector.
The two T.festiva in the last picture are checking out Orange Sea pen as it is burying in sand. Many times you will see just an orange spot in sand..

BTW I am following this forum, you are pretty active too .. :supz:

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:36 pm

You've been busy, Jan! Hope you figure out what's bugging your strobes.

What are the tritonias climbing on in that last picture?

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:32 pm

It looks like Saturdays are bad news for my strobe. Another failure ](*,)

Jan K
I've Got Gills

February diving

Postby Jan K » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:51 pm

The week started with Monday dive at Langley. Monitoring Lingcod egg masses, the count stands at eight, two were lost since my last visit, but I found two new ones. Also for the first time - I got attacked by one. I did survive it OK :bounce:

Wednesday I went to check out Gedney Island, aka Hat, with a new found dive buddy Tom. Strobe failed me again.

Thursday I collected some of the Winged Nudibranch, aka Pacific Stomach Wing - it is not known what they eat, Dave Behrens will look into their bellies, hopefuly solve the mystery :book:

Friday, back out on Zodiak to Gedney Island, found some nice Sand Rose Anemones, not much else #-o

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Postby nwscubamom » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:53 pm

Cool shot, standing on its hind legs! Slugs amaze me sometimes!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------

Return to “Critter Watchers - PNW Marine Life”