Whidbey Island Critters

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Eel Grass Buffet

Postby Jan K » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:50 pm

In the murky waters of Holmes Harbor I found two slugs in the close proximity, one is the hunter which uses its hood like a fishing throw net to catch small crustacea living on the blades, while the Dendronotus iris, or Giant Nudibranch is more famous for attacking Tube-dwelling Anemones, here on the Eel Grass it is using its teeth on hydroids..

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Cabezon's snack

Postby Jan K » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:55 am

The Cabezon was not about let its "Gunnel on the Stick" snack go when I found the two on Langley Tire Reef yesterday :

Seth T.
Amphibian

Postby Seth T. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:11 pm

Ha! Awesome! :laughing3:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Postby Sounder » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:58 pm

Now THAT'S funny!!! =D> :prayer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Giant Sea Cucumber

Postby Jan K » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:22 pm

There are two ends to the Giant Sea Cucumber .
The front :

And the rear :

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Crab trap

Postby Jan K » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:08 pm

I did not see what the trap was baited with, but it sure attracted plenty of dinner guests..

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:11 pm

Very clear, and VERY interesting! Janna, any thoughts?!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:13 pm

It was very interesting to watch. Here is another shot, it shows how the star is hesitant to "touch down" the arms facing the sea pens while all the others are in normal, down position. Sorry about the quality of the picture.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:14 pm

Wow. Now THERE'S a study begging to be done and a paper begging to be written! :book: :smt024
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Sunflower star encounter

Postby Jan K » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:18 am

I dove a new site on Whidbey yesterday, rather uninspiring underwater topography with not much cover sea life -Current swept sandy slope with patches of empty clam shells and gravel. Searching for critter to photograph, I came upon an area with many very small, juvenile Orange Sea Pens. Large Sunflower Star in its usual fashion was moving speedily over the sand approaching the Sea pens. I was curious to see what will happen when the two creatures meet. One is well know predator which even eats its own species and the other a gentle filter feeder, much, much smaller size. I expected the Sea pen bury itself in sand and hope for best, since the Sunflower star has no difficulty digging up clams buried way down under the sand. Well, was I in for a surprise. Not only the Sea pen did not panic and bury itself, it stood up and the Sunflower Star stopped in its track!. As you all know when watching “Pycnopodia” marching across the seafloor, it is all legs. When it came close to the tiny pen, the tube feet retracted and the arm of the star reared up, without even touching the pen. I saw it repeated again and again when the star moved sideways and encountering the other sea pens in the group. It did not crawl over them as I expected. The sea star was obviously stopped by some thing coming from the sea pen, but not visible to my eyes, it was not transmitted via touch... The Sunflower star then gingerly moved away from the sea pens. ...

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:32 pm

One of the things I love about your pictures is that they make me aware of creatures I may very well have looked past, or not even noticed. I'll have to look for the slime worms from now on!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Late Halloween

Postby Jan K » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:34 am

I took the liberty of turning the photo upside down and adding little bit of Hollywood to the scene - the way the blobs of worms wiggle and shake when you swim by, could give you creepy feeling if it wasn't a sunny day yesterday .. :pale:

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:09 am

Tom Nic wrote:Was he actually sleeping, or did you just catch him with his eyes closed?!

The reason I depicted this GPO as sleeping was that unlike other encounters with GPOs, when they move a little and change colors when I move around taking pictures, this one just sit there, and was in the same location and posture almost one hour later when I checked on him at the end of dive. And no, he wasn't dead \:D/

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:00 am

Was he actually sleeping, or did you just catch him with his eyes closed?!

Very cool, as always Jan!

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:09 am

Scubak wrote:Jan,
I'm surprised you didn't do a Halloween cartoon...something like your christmas card... Kirsten

Kirsten, I got caught up in diving and work.. So here is one from the past..

Scubak
I've Got Gills

Postby Scubak » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:26 pm

Jan,
I'm surprised you didn't do a Halloween cartoon...something like your christmas card...
no worries though, your pics are wonderful as always.
I sent the link to this thread to my friend, whose 6 year old son is just now "discovering" the ocean and sea "pickles"... :)
Thanks so much. I want to order him one of your books and ship to him for a suprise...
Thanks so much.

Kirsten

Jan K
I've Got Gills

GPO

Postby Jan K » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:22 pm

Octopus Lullaby :-({|=

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Postby Sounder » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:09 pm

Jan K wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:How long do you have to wait, sitting in one spot to observe this type of behavior. I see critters all the time, however I cannot predict what it is they are up to. This is truly amazing footage of nature at its best!

Once you recognize potential predator - prey encouter, hunker down and let nature perform. Some plays are longer then others, sometimes nothing happens - so dive often \:D/

I love this philosophy. Such wisdom. :prayer:

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:32 pm

Pez7378 wrote:How long do you have to wait, sitting in one spot to observe this type of behavior. I see critters all the time, however I cannot predict what it is they are up to. This is truly amazing footage of nature at its best!

Once you recognize potential predator - prey encouter, hunker down and let nature perform. Some plays are longer then others, sometimes nothing happens - so dive often \:D/

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Postby Pez7378 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:14 pm

How long do you have to wait, sitting in one spot to observe this type of behavior. I see critters all the time, however I cannot predict what it is they are up to. This is truly amazing footage of nature at its best!

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Postby nwscubamom » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:50 pm

Jan, that is really interesting stuff! I knew what it ate, and that it bore a hole, but never knew all the pouncing stuff that the Lewis's Moonsnail does! Very cool that you caught that on film!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Postby Sounder » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:18 pm

Nice work Jan!!! That's amazing!!! I would love to see video of this event. =D> :prayer:

Seth T.
Amphibian

Postby Seth T. » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:06 pm

Wow! Sucks to be the cockle! :pale:
Seth T.

PADI Master Diver

http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:01 pm

Deightful Stuff Jan!

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Moon snail hunt

Postby Jan K » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:33 pm

I had same encounter more then a year ago. Same technique applied by the hunter and the hunted. Same result.

Return to “Critter Watchers - PNW Marine Life”