Whidbey Island Critters

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Postby nwscubamom » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:53 pm

Cool shot, standing on its hind legs! Slugs amaze me sometimes!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------

gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Postby gomi_otaku » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:01 pm

Those pictures of the stomach wing eggs cleared one up for me as well!
gomi_

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Tritonia festiva

Postby Jan K » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Possession Point Fingers slugs looking over Sea Pens, This Diamond Back Tritonia was not giving up, I checked on it after ten minutes, but it did not climb up the orange giant...

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Funnel Sponge

Postby Jan K » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Yes Whatevah, got to get back there again soon. Since we are still on the Deception Pass local and the dilemma of sponge identification, here is another one from that dive, the best I can guess that it is Funnel sponge, judging by the grooved and knobby exterior as compared to the smooth one of the Trumpet sponge. But as the good book says: "the only definitive way to distinguish the two is via spicule sampling and microscopic inspections." Only tools I had on me was a camera and strobe which did not fire... The Trumped sponge was shot three years ago in the San Juans, thus disqualifying it as genuine Whidbey Critter..

whatevah
Aquanaut

Postby whatevah » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:04 am

Jan I think you did very well to get such good photos given the available light and the visibility. I am really glad you were able to come along. I didn't get any noteworthy photos but I thoroughly enjoyed the dive. The personality you've given your Proliferating Anemone caricatures really gave me a chuckle. Since my galleries are a tangled mess and I'm not going to find time to reorganize them anytime soon I just uploaded my photos at the end of an existing gallery. This link will get you to the first of them if you're interested...

http://uwphoto.geckoworks.com/g/most_re ... 21#photo_s

It is a relief to hear that your strobe is working okay now. Let's try the same location again soon. I want you to see the Granulated Claw Crabs. I've pretty much given up on positive identification of sponges, but FWIW, I usually call those Glove Sponges, or Dead Man's Finger Sponges.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Sponge

Postby Jan K » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:59 pm

After poking around for answers to the sponge question, I decided to move the previous thread back to the Whidbey Critter fold. The general consensus so far is that it is extremely hard to get taxonomy right, one cannot rely on morphology, therefore pictures don't help, I am told. So for the time being I will call it the "Yellow Finger Sponge" until somebody with much more know-how corrects me.

:book:

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:48 pm

I love the profusion of types of anemones that we have in our underwater "gardens" here. I did the Edmonds Oil Dock dive today, and there were scores of the Christmas anemones with their beautiful green and red striped bodies. So pretty!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Postby John Rawlings » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:00 am

Jan K wrote:.....glad you enjoyed the pink beauties as much as I did :bounce:

I certainly did enjoy them....I think that they are some of the most beautiful creatures to be found here in the PNW - in an underwater world KNOWN for its beauty!

As always, thanks for sharing your art with us! =D>

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:49 am

John Rawlings wrote:Did you discover what the problem was after you surfaced and examined your system? - John

That is the maddening part. I know it was not the battery, for I used the DS-125 modeling light the entire dive, I checked the connection before I got wet, and then back home, it worked again. And I made two dives since then and the strobe worked fine. Must be the ghost of Deception Pass messing with my mind... :pale:

Oh, and thanks for kind words, glad you enjoyed the pink beauties as much as I did :bounce:

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Postby John Rawlings » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:40 am

GREAT salvage job, Jan! I think that most of us in that situation would have simply spent the entire dive cursing into our regulators!

Did you discover what the problem was after you surfaced and examined your system?

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:28 am

I guess this truly proves that it's the photographer, not the camera!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Postby Zen Diver » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:12 am

You've outdone yourself this time Jan, simply BEAUTIFUL!!!! :prayer:

-Valerie

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Proliferating anemone

Postby Jan K » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:37 am

Everything was great, Saturday morning at the North Beach on Deception Pass, the tidal currents were so favorable and even the sun tried to shine on us, not a frequent matter at this location. As we start our descent, I stop to take first shot and to my horror, the strobe does not fire. Deception Pass is not a spot one casually returns to the vehicle and fiddles with the cable, controls or whatever might be wrong, ( I did check it before the dive and strobe was firing OK). So I ended up switching to Shutter Priority mode, rised ISO setting and used the focusing and modeling lights to salvage the dive. Pictures are grainy and depth of field is very shallow, but at least I managed to get some pictures to record our dive. Thanks WHATEVAH !
BTW, the place is amazing, looking forward to come back..

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Postby Jan K » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 pm

Tom Nic wrote:Love your stuff Jan! So enjoyable... :prayer:

Did you resize the pics? Or did you use Spatman's suggestion?

And for the record, I'd scroll upsidedownsideways to see your stuff! \:D/

Tom, I have to confess my total ignorance on the sizing for different search engines and computer screens and resolutions, I am not computer savvy and I assumed, until that other thread, that people see what I see on my screen. I explained my dilemma about vertical scroll, I have to do that too, but so far nobody complained, so I keep plogging along. I still use Photoshop 5.5, so that tells you how far behind the curve I am.. There is a point when if it is not fun, it is not worth doing. I enjoy sharing my underwater observations with others and it is fun. So if you guys like it the way I was doing it till now, I am in. Old dog - new tricks, my brain is taxed enough. Cheers my friends :partyman:

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Love your stuff Jan! So enjoyable... :prayer:

Did you resize the pics? Or did you use Spatman's suggestion?

And for the record, I'd scroll upsidedownsideways to see your stuff! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

Scubak
I've Got Gills

Postby Scubak » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:03 pm

Great Photos Jan,
Your work is fantastic...
And educational.
Love it and keep em coming.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Postby Sounder » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:28 pm

LCF wrote:Prior to this year, I had only ever seen one of these critters, but this year, it seems we're encountering them on almost every dive, although they're quite small. Anybody else feel as though there are more of them than usual?

I always seem to see them during my descent... then I hit the brakes, get my buddy's attention and point to it... then they eventually get close enough to see that I'm not crazily pointing at the water... until then, they're thinking "yeah Doug, I'm swimming in the water too." #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!

LCF
I've Got Gills

Postby LCF » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Prior to this year, I had only ever seen one of these critters, but this year, it seems we're encountering them on almost every dive, although they're quite small. Anybody else feel as though there are more of them than usual?

enchantmentdivi
Perma Narc'd

Re: Winged Sea Slug

Postby enchantmentdivi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:45 am

Jan K wrote:Well, when I found clusters of them next to what I believe are their eggs, I realized how limited my horizons are - there were hundreds of them! The eggs are the giveaway, so keep a lookout ! :)

OH MY OH MY OH MY! Jan, you just answered a question from a dive I did about 5 years ago at KVI. A few of us were diving off of a buddy's boat, and we didn't quite drop down on the reef itself. We ended up doing a sand dive. Every 2-3 yards, we come across a pile of hundreds of those eggs. None of us knew what they were. After a while, it became kinda creepy because there were literally dozens, if not hundreds, of those piles of eggs--each pile containing hundreds of eggs. After the dive, I looked in books, I described them to others, etc, and I could never find out what they were. I finally just gave up. I think I had almost forgotten about that dive and those mystery eggs because I have never seen them since.....until now, looking at your photos!!!! YAY--you've solved the mystery for me!!! Thanks Jan!
Jenn

Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Postby Diver_Dave » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Love your pics. on here...
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Winged Sea Slug

Postby Jan K » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 am

Until now, my encounters with the Pacific Wing Stomach, aka Winged Sea Slug, aka Pacific Wingfoot snail..... were one on one basis, so I considered them rare. Well, when I found clusters of them next to what I believe are their eggs, I realized how limited my horizons are - there were hundreds of them! None of them "flying" so at first I did not know what they were, but here they are, another Whidbey Island Critter surprise. The eggs are the giveaway, so keep a lookout ! :)

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Postby Zen Diver » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:04 am

Hitchhiking? Piggyback ride?

\:D/

-Valerie

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Postby Tom Nic » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Hmmm.... sex or cannibalism... eh? :rr: ...would they "joust" for hunting or mating territory? OK, perhaps I'm overthinking this and giving Mr. Lewis too much credit, but... :book:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Moon snails

Postby Jan K » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:32 pm

Moonsnails are not rarity in our water, and most of the time they are just cruising the sea floor, looking for food. After taking few pictures, usually I move on, for how many photos of them you want ? But time to time I come upon situation which get my extended attention. Their Cockle hunting shenanigans are always fun to watch, but this time I found something new, to which I have no answer. Mating ritual ? On two occasions on the same dive I found two Lewis's moonsnails together, the first encounter (upper shot), they were already disengaging) and on second encounter, one was riding on top of the other. Any ideas ? :dontknow:

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Postby Zen Diver » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:21 am

I don't think I've ever seen Buffalo Sculpin eggs, thanks for sharing Jan! Awesome shots, as always. =D>

-Valerie

Return to “Critter Watchers - PNW Marine Life”