Red octopus with parasite-What's up?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dtodd
Avid Diver

Red octopus with parasite-What's up?

Post by dtodd »

Saw this red octo at Three Tree yesterday with a leech-like parasite on it.
I usually see these parasites on Pygmy Poachers but never before on a ceph. I would have thought that the octo would groom it off. Anyone else seen this before?
Red octo with parasite.jpg
Octo parasite.jpg
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Red octopus with parasite-What's up?

Post by GearHead »

Saw one like just that at Maury Island once. My buddy was able to remove it with some gentle pinching.
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Howdy,

OK, this is just idle speculation subject to correction:
1. The parasite shown is of a group commonly referred to as "fish leeches".
2. The fish leeches I've seen have suction cups at either end for attachment and movement; a large one at the tail and a smaller one at the head that is equipped with a sort of hypodermic needle for sucking the host's blood.
3. These suction cups exert a surprisingly strong grip and tend to grasp onto whatever they contact. I've had to pull them off of fish, glass petri dishes, and my own skin and it seemed that the best adhesion was to the glass. I couldn't really feel anything from the one that stuck to my skin.
4. A bit of Googling didn't turn up any references to external parasites on octopuses.

Speculation A: The leech in the image was more of a hitchhiker than a parasite on the octopus. It could have been picked up randomly as the octopus travelled about or the leech might have latched on because the octopus had just eaten its host. :burntchef:

Speculation B: At the time of the photo, the octopus simply hadn't noticed the leech. Eventually, either the octopus would find and remove it or the leech would leave on its own to find greener (bloodier?) pastures.

Speculation C: I'm not sure if this is the normal state of affairs but at least some of these leeches are obligate parasites on one species - I suspect that a leech that evolved to target an octopus would look quite different that the one pictured.

Speculatively yours,
Alex
dtodd
Avid Diver

Post by dtodd »

Well Howdy Alex,
Thanks for the speculations!
Another Cephalophile on twitter suggested that it was a senescent male octo who had given up.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

dtodd wrote:Well Howdy Alex,
Thanks for the speculations!
Another Cephalophile on twitter suggested that it was a senescent male octo who had given up.
Great. Now I can't stop picturing him sitting there on the ocean floor, muttering.

"Muh wiener's gone. Crazy female broke it off. Nothing matters. Muh wiener's gone. Leech? Who cares, nothing matters, muh wiener's gone..."
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com