Reef of glass sponges found off Washington's coast

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

That is cool! But how are those any different than your regular Cloud Sponge that we have in Hood Canal, and in BC? Those are silica based sponges too - so I'm stumped why they think they're so rare?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Post by Huskychemist »

nwscubamom wrote:That is cool! But how are those any different than your regular Cloud Sponge that we have in Hood Canal, and in BC? Those are silica based sponges too - so I'm stumped why they think they're so rare?

From the article: "Glass sponge reefs were found in British Columbia about two decades ago, but in more inland waters."

Seems to me the big issue is where they found the reef...

Interesting!
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Right, but it also said this:

Researchers didn't even think the oxymoronic structures -- sponges made of glass that form reefs -- even existed anymore.

And this:
Instead, the crafty creatures went to depths too dark for the tiny plants -- but not so deep that they couldn't get enough oxygen.

Which seemed to contradict the BC statement - plus the ones in Hood Canal have been around for who-knows-how long and surely 'researchers' are aware of those. You can go see 'em anytime - just go out with Pacific Adventures and ask to dive the Knuckle. (or become a tech diver and I think more options open up to you - I think there's some deep ones at Sund Rock even? Not sure...)

So I guess what threw me is the article seemed to contradict itself.

As you know, Cloud Sponges are taught in the basic REEF curriculum - and are usually found in the 90+ foot depth range. However, once I was up in Campbell River/Quadra Island diving, and found a cluster in only 18 feet of water!!! ULTRA shallow!!

Last edited by nwscubamom on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

A reef of glass sponges, creating a deep-sea oasis 650 feet below the surface, was discovered for the first time in U.S. waters off the Washington coast.
Nailer, are you thinking what I'm thinking? :bounce:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Calvin wrote:
A reef of glass sponges, creating a deep-sea oasis 650 feet below the surface, was discovered for the first time in U.S. waters off the Washington coast.
Nailer, are you thinking what I'm thinking? :bounce:

Uh oh, You guys thinking of upgrading to one of these?

http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/pubs/allha ... 0/pg14.htm

\:D/

Jake
Rob Holman
Avid Diver

Post by Rob Holman »

Is a glass sponge the same as a cloud sponge, or is a glass sponge a category not a species?

Looks like a poorly written article, but given the way they report on dive accidents, they seem to only get about half the story correct anyway.

There are also Cloud sponges in the Puget Sound in 80 feet of water attached to small rocks in the middle of a sand bank of all places! In between Gedney Island and Camano head.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Nice avitar Rob. :axe: