Springtime Nudibranchs at Titlow

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

Springtime Nudibranchs at Titlow

Post by dphershman »

Springtime at Titlow means rotten viz but there is compensation in the bloom of nudibranchs :)

Here are some photos from this past Monday on a dive with my buddy Mark.

There were 'gazillions' of tiny Flabellina trilineata around the pilings. Especially on the southeast corner of the outer pilings. So many that you had to watch be careful not to touch anything.

There were also a number of larger Opalescents (longhorns) Hermissenda crassicornis on both sides of the row of inner pilings.

This opalescent was a bit small, but when I saw the photograph I realized there was something even tinier right in front of the Opalescent's nose. (Anyone have an idea what that might be?)

The ledges to the south were covered with Leopards Diaulula sandiegensis

My buddy Mark also spotted a couple of Janolus fuscus, but sadly I wasn't so lucky. :(

After a long winter of finding hardly anything its great to see the return of these critters.

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Springtime Nudibranchs at Titlow

Post by Grateful Diver »

On that third pic, it's probably another nudi ... I got something like that at Possession Pt. ferry once. When I blew it up for a closer look it was a similar (but slightly different) nudi. Scale's about the same though.

Awesome pics, as always ... nice to know the nudis aren't disappearing all over the sound, like they seem to be at some sites ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Grateful Diver wrote:On that third pic, it's probably another nudi ... I got something like that at Possession Pt. ferry once. When I blew it up for a closer look it was a similar (but slightly different) nudi. Scale's about the same though.

Awesome pics, as always ... nice to know the nudis aren't disappearing all over the sound, like they seem to be at some sites ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nudibranchs have been absent from most of my dives in south puget sound this winter as well.

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Glad to hear this as I've seen little to none at TTN and Redondo
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Glad to hear this as I've seen little to none at TTN and Redondo
Did a dive at Redondo on Mar 26th. We saw 4 different nudis: a few Noble Dorids, a Brown Horned Dorid, a Shaggy Mouse, and a few White Lined Dirona. They seem to be coming back at Redondo as well. The Brown Horned Dorid was a new find for me and my wife.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Nudibranch season is truly here! I saw a TON of various slugs at Zees and Sunrise this weekend. The lemon dorids and leopards were everywhere on Zees Reef. Many egg ribbons as well.
Zees and Sunrise - April 3 2016 (1 of 12).jpg
Zees and Sunrise - April 3 2016 (11 of 12).jpg
Dave