Baby Mosshead Warbonnet

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Baby Mosshead Warbonnet

Post by Scubie Doo »

So, I always get asked how big critters are. I showed my family the following photo and explain how the warbonnet swam over my strategically located mirror.

My son immediately says "How big is that fish?" I said small. And I proceeded to show him the WB on the "ball" of my mirror, where it meets the handle.

He said "Cool, but how big is your mirror?" So I went out and found something (a dime) the same size as the "ball" on the mirror and inserted that into the photo.

He looked and said "HOLY SMOKES! That is tiny." I had a good chuckle and I was surprised to see the size comparison. I often think about bringing something to compare size. But it is very difficult to place objects next to critters. I did use a Lego figure once. But George lost Bee in Cozumel, so that was short lived :-)

I was surprised to see the size of the warbonnet next to a dime.
Last edited by Scubie Doo on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Baby Mosshead Warbonnet

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool! Glad you got to geek out with your son!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

I recall you saying it was small. I didn't realize it was that small!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:Very cool! Glad you got to geek out with your son!
Yeah, love geeking out with the kids. I have an entire family of non-divers. So they are always so curious.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

stphnmartin wrote:I recall you saying it was small. I didn't realize it was that small!
Yeah, isn't that amazing. It's surprising we can even get photographs of these critters. Kind of cool to contrast that with your awesome aerial shots. Good times.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

wow that is super tiny! :)
Really fantastic pics as always!
I saw a bunch of really small Buffalo Sculpins blanketing the rocks at Keystone yesterday. I love baby fish season!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Jesse, I'm going on a recovery dive soon to find Bea and bring her back. Clearly we need her in our photos!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

ScubaJess wrote:wow that is super tiny! :)
Really fantastic pics as always!
I saw a bunch of really small Buffalo Sculpins blanketing the rocks at Keystone yesterday. I love baby fish season!
Yeah pretty amazing huh? I was shocked at the size.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Jesse, I'm going on a recovery dive soon to find Bea and bring her back. Clearly we need her in our photos!
True dat.