Any recent dogfish sharks?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
RoxnDox
Submariner

Any recent dogfish sharks?

Post by RoxnDox »

Hi all, just a curiosity question... Last weekend I was out fishing in Henderson Bay for flounder, but I ended up catching (and releasing) three dogfish. All in the same area, maybe 50 ft or so depth. I searched the forum for dogfish reports and pictures, nothing too recent showed up, so I was just wondering if you all see very many of them? And if you do, are they normally solo, or schooling up with others?

The internet reports that they run in packs, one reason for the 'dogfish' name, and there are some photos like that, but most are of single fish. So just wonderin' :popcorn:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Any recent dogfish sharks?

Post by Scubie Doo »

Just had a pesky one dart at me yesterday at cove 2. Around the 80' mark.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Anytime I've ever seen them they were singles. Nothing lately.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

While out looking for something bigger, We saw one at Redondo last Sunday.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Thanks all :) they were a bit sportier on the line than your average flounder, rather fun actually... I ended up poking around later and kept finding interesting things about them :)
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

They can actually school in the hundreds, as my dad and I had experienced fishing as a kid. You reel one up and 5 or six will come up with it. I've only ever seen the lone rangers while diving though
-Erika
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I know, no picture, it didn't happen.
But I saw one at Skyline yesterday, July 27. But it just quickly checked me out and before I could snap a picture, it was gone...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Echo wrote:They can actually school in the hundreds, as my dad and I had experienced fishing as a kid. You reel one up and 5 or six will come up with it. I've only ever seen the lone rangers while diving though
Years ago, shortly after the sinking of the GB Church off Portland Island, my son and I were diving the wreck. He dropped into the water first, popped up and said, "Dad, there are sharks down there!" When I looked I assured him that they were just dogfish. They were in a school of about 50 circling the mast of the ship. They were also quite aggressive, similar to lingcod on eggs. They would break out of the circle and swim right at us, occasionally nipping at us. It is the only time I have seen them schooling, but during a collecting trip with an ichthyology class we would catch several in one cast of the net.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Jan K, saw one Saturday at Skyline Wall, about 3 feet in length. Didn't hang around long enough to get a picture.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Jan K wrote:I know, no picture, it didn't happen.
But I saw one at Skyline yesterday, July 27. But it just quickly checked me out and before I could snap a picture, it was gone...
The same thing happened to me three days later at the same site. I was taking pictures of a candy-stripe shrimp when my dive buddy started flashing me with his light. I looked up and there was a dogfish checking me out from about 4 feet distance. Before I could get my camera re-adjusted from a 1-inch subject to a 3-foot subject it lost interest and swam away.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Maybe I should take my flounder bait (turkey hot dogs) and chum the area for you so there'll be more photo ops :) :) :)

Jim