Question on sea life

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Question on sea life

Post by JJHACK »

I was wondering if anyone could share the details on the life form that is two parallel connected tubes that are burrowed into the bottom and extend up from there about 1.5-2"

If you touch them they suck right into the sea floor. They are all brown in color but have a yellow or goldish looking fibers/ whiskers/ or what the proper description is I'm unsure. These are around the inner edge of the holes on the top edge.

I saw them at alki Saturday. They so reminded me of the worms in the silly movie tremors years ago.
The best things in life are not things
60south
Pelagic

Re: Question on sea life

Post by 60south »

You mean a geoduck snorkel, each tube maybe 2-3 cm in diameter? It's the breathing tube(s) for a honkin' big-ass clam. :burntchef:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Geoduck ?
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

those are clams .. some of them are really nasty and furry , like old worn out skin with growth all over them .. you will see them in the shallows
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Post by JJHACK »

Thanks guys, I was hoping my description was enough to understand what I was seeing.
The best things in life are not things
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Since he mentioned "whiskers" on the inside of the opening, I'm guessing he saw horse clam siphons
Tresus.jpg