Nudibranch ID

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Nudibranch ID

Post by cephalogoddess »

I saw this very odd nudibranch today at Alki Cove 2. I have been doing lots of research and can't figure out what species it is. Beautiful, huh? It was about 4 mm, very tiny. I was at about 15 feet when I saw it. I'm away from my David Behrens pacific coast nudibranch book this weekend, but maybe I can find it in there.

(also, first time posting photos here so hopefully you can see them!)

Cheers,
Taryn
Attachments
IMG_2271.jpg
IMG_2270.jpg
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Nudibranch ID

Post by theonly_JT »

Oh wow those are beautiful little critters! I've never seen them before. Will be waiting for someone to post with an ID! :popcorn:
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Well, I've continued to research possible nudis and consulted Behren's Pacific Coast nudibranch book. Still no luck. It looks similar to Anetarca armata, but not exactly the same and that species only lives in California. I emailed Nudi Pixel; do you guys know of anywhere else I can send this photos for expert identification? Perhaps this is an unnamed species or some sort of mutated species
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Hi Taryn,

You might try the Sea Slug Forum - http://www.seaslugforum.net/
They have information on and images of just about any nudibranch imaginable. Searching for a photo match can be daunting because there are so many species covered but, if all else fails, you can send your photos to them for an I.D. Be aware though: this is a busy site run by one guy - a reply can take a while.

Sluggishly yours,
Alex
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

nice find
It's a good day.... nobody died!
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Thanks guys. I sent the photo to Nudi Pixel for identification. Maybe I can find someone from around here on the sea slug forum and send to them as well!
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Any other ideas of places/people I could send this photograph to? I'd really like to know what it is... because if no one knows, perhaps it's a new species or hybrid or something. One can hope ;)
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I did some searching, with zero results. If you find out, please post that, I'd love to know!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

It's super cute, whatever it is! :)
Nice find!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Well folks, it turns out it's a hermaea olivae; an odd color. Especially because I actually saw several of that same species but they were all a greenish brown. I know color varies based on what type of algae they are eating; I just find it odd that one nudibranch at the same location and time is a completely different color than the others of its own species.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Very nice find, nevertheless.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Thought I'd post photos of the other Hermaea olivae nudibranchs I saw on the very same day! Sorry; not best photo quality but those little suckers (lol, they are sap suckers) are so small. Isn't it crazy what a different color the others are? I must've seen about twenty of these greenish brown ones.

-Taryn :)
Attachments
IMG_2356.jpg
IMG_2340.jpg