Trapped or sheltering in a lion's mane?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Trapped or sheltering in a lion's mane?

Post by derekcs »

I was at Cove 2 today and saw a lion's mane at 60-65 feet. The main part of the body was probably 3-4 feet long. There was a fish about 18 inches in size trapped inside the mass of arms and swimming around. I couldn't tell if it was sheltering in the jelly or being eaten. It seemed to be swimming away from me and hiding within the jellyfish. Didn't look stunned or otherwise harmed. It doesn't look like any fish I'm familiar with. Am I crazy or is this some kind of salmon? Is it about to be eaten?
Attachments
Untitled.jpeg
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Re: Trapped or sheltering in a lion's mane?

Post by Greg Jensen »

That looks like a baby prowfish- and the behavior certainly matches (hiding in a jelly). Any other pics showing more of the body? That would be a pretty special sighting if it is a prowfish.
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

Greg Jensen wrote:That looks like a baby prowfish- and the behavior certainly matches (hiding in a jelly). Any other pics showing more of the body? That would be a pretty special sighting if it is a prowfish.
Was hard to get shots with the macro lens on, but I did get this one of the tail end.

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

wow that's neat! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Checking various sources, it doesn't appear to be a prowfish- specifically, they lack a lateral line (which is obvious in the photos) and the scales are wrong. Also the dorsal fin appears to start too far back.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Medusafish (Icichthys lockingtoni) is a better fit, in terms of the characters that I mentioned. As the common name implies, they live in jellyfish.

This would be a new record, not only for Puget Sound but also the Salish Sea
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

Greg Jensen wrote:Medusafish (Icichthys lockingtoni) is a better fit, in terms of the characters that I mentioned. As the common name implies, they live in jellyfish.

This would be a new record, not only for Puget Sound but also the Salish Sea
Should I forward these photos to the aquarium?
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Should I forward these photos to the aquarium?[/quote]

Sure. I've already told the NOAA and UW fish collection people about it. Apparently there was one previous record from the Salish Sea, found west of Sooke BC in 1935, but it didn't get included in the 2015 list that I was looking at. Any way you look at it though, it's a great find
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

Greg Jensen wrote:Should I forward these photos to the aquarium?
Sure. I've already told the NOAA and UW fish collection people about it. Apparently there was one previous record from the Salish Sea, found west of Sooke BC in 1935, but it didn't get included in the 2015 list that I was looking at. Any way you look at it though, it's a great find[/quote]

Thanks for the info! So if I have it right, it's the first live sighting recorded in Puget Sound ever and the first in all of the Salish Sea in 80+ years?
Ronish
Just Settling In

Post by Ronish »

Wow! How cool and thanks for everyone who have added to the id. I was with Derek when he spotted this and it's wonderful to have some context for what we saw. :)
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

derekcs wrote:
Thanks for the info! So if I have it right, it's the first live sighting recorded in Puget Sound ever and the first in all of the Salish Sea in 80+ years?
Yep! just a tad jealous
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

That is an incredible and amazing find!
Thanks for sharing those pics!
I have never seen anything like that!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Derek, there is always something special to being the first. To a climber it's a first ascent, virgin wrecks for wreck divers, for wildlife enthusiasts a first sighting. Congratulations.

Greg, thank you for offering your expertise on this and on the web site in general. No one would have known if it weren't for you. I also appreciate your integrity in giving Derek the credit for the sighting. It seems to me that your asking for additional pictures was the key, since the lateral line is so apparent in them when it wasn't obvious at all in the first picture.

I salute all involved. Curt :salute:
Happy to be alive.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

oldsalt wrote:Derek, there is always something special to being the first. To a climber it's a first ascent, virgin wrecks for wreck divers, for wildlife enthusiasts a first sighting. Congratulations.
Greg, thank you for offering your expertise on this and on the web site in general. No one would have known if it weren't for you. I also appreciate your integrity in giving Derek the credit for the sighting. It seems to me that your asking for additional pictures was the key, since the lateral line is so apparent in them when it wasn't obvious at all in the first picture.
I could not agree more. Derek's ability and luck (after all, how many time we swam through the stinging trails of Lion's main and all we got is burning lips) and Greg's help with tracing the correct ID. He help me more than dozens times when I guesses wrong...
It sure is encouraging to see new critters still waiting to be encountered in our local waters...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Jan K wrote:
oldsalt wrote:Derek, there is always something special to being the first. To a climber it's a first ascent, virgin wrecks for wreck divers, for wildlife enthusiasts a first sighting. Congratulations.
I could not agree more. Derek's ability and luck (after all, how many time we swam through the stinging trails of Lion's main and all we got is burning lips) and Greg's help with tracing the correct ID. He helped me more than dozens times when I guesses wrong...
It sure is encouraging to see new critters still waiting to be encountered in our local waters...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown