Pinto Abalone Status Review

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
taylortex
Frequent Bubbler

Pinto Abalone Status Review

Post by taylortex »

ATTENTION PNW Divers!!! Please show your support for Washington's abalone, and spread the word.

Click here for more details: https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/pinto_abalone/
Also, please see the attached pdf.

PINTO ABALONE STATUS REVIEW

Pinto abalone are iconic marine snails valued for their cultural importance, role in the marine ecosystem, beautiful shells, and as food. Despite a ban on harvest and the establishment of a captive breeding program, information available to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife suggests that remnant populations are not reproducing in the wild and may be in peril of local extinction. WDFW is soliciting any available data on the species, and seeks public comment on a proposal to list the pinto abalone as a state endangered species. Please join us for a presentation at one of two initial public meetings listed below. Data and comments received at the meetings, through mail, via email, or over the phone will be summarized for a status review submitted to the Fish and Wildlife Commission. For more information contact our representative, or visit https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/pinto_abalone/

Please consider attending one of the following public meetings:

December 4, 2018, 6:00 p.m.
Northwest Maritime Center
431 Water Street, Port Townsend, WA 98368

December 10, 2018 6:00 p.m.
Anacortes Public Library
1220 10th Street, Anacortes, WA 98221

Or, submit comments and questions to:

WDFW, Fish Program, attention: Michael Ulrich
P.O. Box 43200
Olympia, WA 98504-3200
(360) 902-2737
Michael.Ulrich@dfw.wa.gov
Attachments
WDFW Ad_Pinto Abalone_Endangered Species Listing Proposal_Nov2018.pdf
(291.31 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Cmjstealth
Avid Diver

Re: Pinto Abalone Status Review

Post by Cmjstealth »

I had a conflict and wasn't able to attend this meeting but curious if others did and there are any updates since then?

On the subject of pintos: if you have yet to find one in the wild (like me) point defiance has one in the touch tank of their fancy new aquarium. How often do you get the opportunity to pet and/or feed bits of kelp to an endangered species?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Pinto Abalone Status Review

Post by H20doctor »

i have seen abalone in the san Juans .... but i would never disclose the location
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen