Sea Spiders at Three Tree

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dsisson
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Sea Spiders at Three Tree

Post by dsisson »

I ran into quite a few of these when I dove the site earlier this year. I have since been keeping my eyes open, but have not run into any of these critters anywhere lately. Is anyone aware of any sites with Spider sightings?
IMG_8480.jpg
IMG_8470.jpg
IMG_8445.jpg
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Sea Spiders at Three Tree

Post by YellowEye »

dsisson wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:46 pm I ran into quite a few of these when I dove the site earlier this year. I have since been keeping my eyes open, but have not run into any of these critters anywhere lately. Is anyone aware of any sites with Spider sightings?
IMG_8480.jpg
IMG_8470.jpg
IMG_8445.jpg
Hi!
Nice pics!

We used to see these sea spiders regularly at alki junkyard, usually at 40-60 feet deep. We seem to be seeing a lot less of them in the last year or so though...

I recently saw a spider of a different species at deception pass (below). You can also find a different species on red soft coral. Andy Lamb's book says we may have 50 species of sea spider in the pnw!
FB_IMG_1594806795640.jpg
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
dsisson
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by dsisson »

Following up on this post, I recently dove Alki Junkyard and found dozens of Sea Spiders across the whole of the site. Many where carrying large clusters of eggs. It must be that time of year.
DSC08003.jpg
DSC08032.jpg
DSC08062.jpg
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool snaps!

Oh boy! Yes, junkyard has been completely flooded with spiders lately. The most I've ever seen. I saw maybe fifty last Sunday, and that was when looking for neon sea fleas, not spiders. To think about a year ago there were few spiders to be found! There are also lots of the neon sea fleas now of many colors, some mating or with babies! Neat!
received_2785977928311771.jpeg
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Cool beans! Love the Sea Spider action. Great work.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

cool post!!! I found some poop loving aliens at Alki Junkyard :luv: :rofl: :eek:

love that super cute neon sea flea family photo YellowEye!!! :popcorn: :luv: :partydance: :taco:
Attachments
Dulichia amphipod
Dulichia amphipod
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: