The Hunt for NEON Crustaceans! *UPDATED*

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
bmc825
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

The Hunt for NEON Crustaceans! *UPDATED*

Post by bmc825 »

Hello Everyone!

As a scientific diver who is new to this club, I am hoping to tap into your wealth of knowledge as local dive naturalists.

I am looking for rare colorful amphipods known as Podocerus cristatus (see pictures in poster below). These critters are small (~2-5mm) crustaceans that are often camouflaged against subtidal habitat. However, some divers (including me!) have spotted individuals with remarkably bright color patterns along the west coast of North America. Coloration can range from exciting red fluorescence to neon patterns that mimic local nudibranch species (e.g., Flabellina trilineata).

Both colorful and camouflaged individuals are rarely documented and I need help documenting the location of these animals. At my sites in the San Juan Islands (WA), I typically find them at depths from 20-100 ft in hard bottom areas that experience low to high current. They use their spider-like body to cling to red algae, branching bryozoans, hydroids, sponges and tunicates while they extend their antennae into the water to filter feed. You probably won’t be able to spot the camouflaged individuals, but the colorful ones should be more obvious and are a super exciting find against the dark blue/green background of our waters.

If you see such an amphipod, please:
1. Take a picture or video, if possible.
2. Note date, time, site, habitat, and appearance of individual.
3. Contact me, at bmc825@gmail.com.

I am excited to hear from you all soon!

Best,
Brittany

Podocerus Poster_2.png
Last edited by bmc825 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: The Hunt for NEON Crustaceans!

Post by nwscubamom »

Hi Brittany, I was under the impression that no invertebrates may be collected in Washington waters without a collection permit from WDFW. Can you clarify how that would work, or if that's even the case anymore?
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
Welcome!
We've seen them at Alki Junkyard, Point Hudson and Skyline. You can search on this site for some images.
That purple one is really cool, where did you see that?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

The main thread with images of some of our finds is here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27934

A couple more snaps:
82981752_10157070009291229_7589400210682413056_o.jpg
92697182_10157292119806229_4269343705795657728_o.jpg
bmc825
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by bmc825 »

**STATEMENT OF RETRACTION**

I wish to thank the knowledgeable divers who brought to my attention an important oversight in my collection request. As a recreational diver, you CANNOT collect invertebrates without an authorized permit. As a scientific diver and PhD student at a museum, I am covered under my advisor’s permits and have permission to collect these specific amphipods after extensive training and approval of dive plans from my institution’s dive safety officer. Unless you are in a state which allows recreational collection of invertebrates with a fishing license (e.g., Florida), please do NOT collect animals.

However, photography or videography of these animals (“Step 1” in the poster image) will still be super helpful toward research endeavors. Please send along any observations that you make to my contact info.

My apologies for the confusion. I have updated the original post accordingly.

Sincerely,
Brittany
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: The Hunt for NEON Crustaceans! *UPDATED*

Post by nwscubamom »

Thanks for looking into that detail and clarifying, Brittany!
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

If they are rare, is it wise to collect them for science?
What happens to the collected individuals?
Can they be alternatively studied in situ?
How does one estimate a safe number of collections that will not adversely affect the distribution of a rare population?
Can they be easily sexed or aged?
Are the mating and molting seasons/behaviors known?
If a rare individual is taken, how long might it take for another to take its place?
Do commercial interests exist for such rare species? (e.g. aquarium trade)
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

My observation is that there are a lot of the drab ones at certain times of the year at certain sites. So perhaps only rare as in rarely noticed. I heard elsewhere there was an interest in studying if the color variants are separate species, not sure if that's the case here.