So this washed up on my beach today...

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

So this washed up on my beach today...

Post by Nwbrewer »

This (sadly deceased) Mola Mola drifted up on the beach in front of my place near Shelton. We saw a live one a few years ago, but nowhere near this large!

Mola Mola with 5' 2" child for scale.
_DSC2861.JPG
_DSC2860.JPG
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
RoxnDox
Submariner

Re: So this washed up on my beach today...

Post by RoxnDox »

Very sad to see it dead, for sure.
Very surprised to see it anywhere in the Sound, let alone all the way down by Shelton! Never heard of one in here...
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

What a sad yet fascinating sight!

Every few years a live one will be spotted at Redondo in the summer. Lost? Or on an adventure?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Oh no!

Diving with a live one is near the top of my bucket list. Can we set up a mola mola emergency text hotline for sightings?
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice find nevertheless! Any sign of how it died?
Did you get to swim with the live one you saw?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

YellowEye wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:26 pm Nice find nevertheless! Any sign of how it died?
Did you get to swim with the live one you saw?
No there were no marks on it as far as I could see, but I couldn't exactly flip it over...

I did not get to swim with the live one, it was cold and I didn't have my drysuit handy. Interestingly it was within 10feet of where we found this one, just separated by a few years.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Jim Lynch wrote a novel about unusual critters washing up on the beach in South Sound. It's titled "The Highest Tide". A good read. I'm really old, and have been playing in the sound for over 60 years, and have never seen a sunfish in the sound. I've seen many off the coast, the last time October 4th. That is a really interesting find. Thank you for posting.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
oystercove_Matt
Getting To Know Folks

Post by oystercove_Matt »

we had to drag it off the beach because it started to stink. but this is a 500LB fish and we had to drag it out with a 6 horse motor (it took 1hr to get rid of wish i had pictures)
that kid
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi!
There's been a recent finding that there are actually two species of Mola in the NE Pacific Ocean - Mola mola AND Mola tecta! They are looking for reports (even old sightings), see this thread for info:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28263#p297389
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

oldsalt wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:39 pm Jim Lynch wrote a novel about unusual critters washing up on the beach in South Sound. It's titled "The Highest Tide". A good read. I'm really old, and have been playing in the sound for over 60 years, and have never seen a sunfish in the sound. I've seen many off the coast, the last time October 4th. That is a really interesting find. Thank you for posting.
-Curt :rawlings:
Thanks for the info on the book! I just ordered it. It has great ratings.
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------