Dive At Octopus Hole and Pacific King Crab (Sad Low Oxygen)

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
oystercove_Matt
Getting To Know Folks

Dive At Octopus Hole and Pacific King Crab (Sad Low Oxygen)

Post by oystercove_Matt »

Me and NWbrewer Went On A Dive Today At Octopus Hole The Dive Was Awesome And We Saw 4 GPOs One Out In The Open. We Also Saw 2 Woolf Eels And They Where Also Struggling To Breathe Its So Sad To See These Amazing Critters Struggling To Breathe. we also saw a realy cool Pacific King Crab and that was amazing :supz: It Was An Amazing Dive And The Vis Was About 3Ft Near 10-15ft And Then You Drop Below 19ft and the vis opens up to about 10ft after that it slowly opens up as you go deeper we saw 2 other divers while swimming along the wall and there where several cracks in the rock of the wall we swam out slowly to about 50ft and realized that we where too deep and started to swim up the slope we then started swimming south at 40ft to the shallow wall and swam just over half the wall before turning at 1500psi buddy at 1000 (we are both diving steel 119s and have About the same SAC rate) and slowly rose up the wall to 20ft and swam around looking at stuff for 10min then went to 10 ft and so on in the shallows there where some :burntchef: looking crab and we rose from the water at 1hour and 3min
if you want you can look at this short video of the dive enjoy https://youtu.be/BsNZWSOQtjs :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Attachments
GPO out in the open trying to get some fresh O2
GPO out in the open trying to get some fresh O2
that kid
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive At Octopus Hole and Pacific King Crab (Sad Low Oxygen)

Post by Nwbrewer »

While I'll happily take credit for oystercove_matt's diving skills, he somehow has adopted H20doctor's punctuation.....

And it's a Puget Sound King crab....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Wow, I've never heard of anyone seeing pskc in the hood canal. Good find!

I've heard reports of weak wolf eels at sound lately too. Sad!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

that's a spiny lithode crab (sometimes called a 'red fur crab') Acantholithodes hispidus, often seen at that site. Not a PS king crab.
oystercove_Matt
Getting To Know Folks

cool good to know. we also saw him on a different day not far from there
that kid
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Sounds like another low oxygen event in the canal. So sad.
oystercove_Matt
Getting To Know Folks

on our last dive there about a month ago all the critters seemed to be back to normal
that kid