Jan's book

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
LCF
I've Got Gills

Jan's book

Post by LCF »

I thought this deserved its own thread, rather than being buried in the long one with all the picture pages.

Yesterday, I got my copy of Jan's book, Beneath the Whidbey Island Waters. I have only one criticism of it -- It is WAY too short!

The small book is absolutely beautiful. The quality of the reproduction of the photographs is excellent. This screams out to be a Christmas present for anybody you know who dives around here, or divers from elsewhere who would enjoy seeing what we go down there to see, or for non-divers who keep asking the question, "Does anything live down there?"

Thank you, Jan, for getting this put together (although I still think a real publisher and a real coffee-table book should be in your future!)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

This sounds wonderful. I'm a big fan of Jan's art (both drawn as well as photographed). Please post info on how/where to purchase.

-Ben
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Where can we buy one?

... actually, I might buy several ... Christmas is coming, after all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Yeah, I'd be interested in getting one too! :bounce:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Lynne, thank you very much for your kind words.
I set up PayPal: send funds to: honkoc@hotmail.com. Type in the address books should be send to. The cost per book is $26 plus 2.50 P&H. Jan
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Well done, Jan! and LONG overdue!

Jackie
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

AWESOME!!! Thanks for showing some details.

I realized all the info about this is on the Whidbey Island thread - buried! Glad a new thread that highlights this book has been started.

I just ordered my copy, Jan.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I've never done a paypal transaction. How does it work. :dontknow: I want to buy copies of your book too!! :bounce: I absolutely LOVE your work. I can just imagine the wonder in the eyes of the kids when their parents show them these pages. Well Done Jan!!! =D>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:I've never done a paypal transaction. How does it work. :dontknow: I want to buy copies of your book too!! :bounce: I absolutely LOVE your work. I can just imagine the wonder in the eyes of the kids when their parents show them these pages. Well Done Jan!!! =D>
I can paypal for you if you'd like - sometimes setting up an account and jumping through all the hoops is a pain in the butt.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Pez7378 wrote:I've never done a paypal transaction. How does it work. :dontknow: I want to buy copies of your book too!! :bounce: I absolutely LOVE your work. I can just imagine the wonder in the eyes of the kids when their parents show them these pages. Well Done Jan!!! =D>
Just PM me your address, send me a check and I PM you mine address, if that works better for you. Jan

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Jan, I got my book!! Thank you so much for sending it so quickly!

I think you should be autographing these :)

Anyway, it's a great book and really fun to have around to show guests. (and my curious grandchildren who love sea critters too!)

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

nwscubamom wrote: I think you should be autographing these :)
Totally! Come on Jan, whip out your sharpie and charge everyone another couple of bucks for the Authentic Autographed version! \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

OK, when you order, just say you want to have it signed - no charge - bonus for NW Dive Club members :salute:

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Sweet! :occasion5:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Aw man! And I already have mine and no autograph! Oh well I am going to have to stalk Jan at Keystone and run up to him like he's a rock star with my book open and pen out.. I'll even sigh, screem, and cry if you want Jan.. ;) If you ever wondered what it felt to be a beetle.. \:D/
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

Got my book and I (l) (l) (l) (l) (l) it! It's beautiful!

Thank you, Jan!

dd
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I saw Delaina's book. It is indeed beautiful, and can't wait to own one for myself. It will also make a great gift.

Rich
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

For fellow Northwest Dive Club divers not into the PayPal thing, you can send check, just PM me address where to mail the book and I give you address where to send the check... Happy Holidays, keep on diving ! :supz:

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Books just arrived, and they are beautiful! Thanks Jan!

-Valerie

(and, mine are autographed :bootyshake: )
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Got my books yesterday-one autographed for me, and one for non-diving friends. I love mine and can't wait for the longer version. And I hope paging through their copy will spur my friends to finally learn to dive. But if not, I'm sure they'll still enjoy it-it is sooooo beautiful, and educational, and humorous-what's not to love?
Thanks again, Jan.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

Man, is Jan fast or what? I ordered a copy for my wife on Monday, and Friday it was in our mailbox. I hope my check got to him as quickly. Thanks so much Jan, I know my wife will love it, and count me in as another one eagerly awaiting a sequel!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We really need to figure out how to get a publisher interested in putting together a coffee-table book of Jan's pictures. Anybody know anything about publishing?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Jan "The Man" Kocian

Ordered mine wednesday night, if not thursday sometime...and sure enough, got home from work today (friday) and it was waiting for me! Quick! Jan, the pictures look wonderful, and sign me up for an extended coffee table edition. Maybe this collection will convince my dad to hop back in the Puget Sound. I am hoping, after all he is the one that got me interested in diving, and I have to drag him toward the equator to get him suiting up to go diving anymore!

Thanks, and have a wonderful Christmas.
-Jacob