is this a masking crab?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
spatman
I've Got Gills

is this a masking crab?

Post by spatman »

Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

No, it's an adult male sharpnose crab (Scyra acutifrons).
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Greg Jensen wrote:No, it's an adult male sharpnose crab (Scyra acutifrons).
thanks, greg!

i know this isn't the best picture, but do you recognize this one? is it a juvenile sharpnose?

Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

It's either a juvenile or a female. Females have small claws, as do males until they reach sexual maturity.
Like other spider crabs, once they molt to sexual maturity, they never molt again. But it's not clear what determines the size that they become sexually mature. Some do it at 5mm, some at 45mm.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thanks for the insight! do you have a particular book or resource you could recommend for crab ID?
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Click on my website button and you might get some ideas :book:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

spatman wrote:thanks for the insight! do you have a particular book or resource you could recommend for crab ID?
Hey, spatman!

Greg is the author of a REALLY FINE book on crabs and shrimps....as I'm pretty certain you have already discovered when you clicked on his web site!

Greg....is there any chance of an updated larger version in the future? I know that you and your colleagues must've found a lot of new species in this region to add over the past few years.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Greg Jensen wrote:Click on my website button and you might get some ideas :book:
ha, i'm such a dork. thanks for pointing out the obvious! i'll get a copy of your book as soon as i have the available scuba units...
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I've been working on a new edition for quite a while- it will add about 60 more species, including several that I've described and named since the first edition came out, plus 'new and improved' pictures. The catch is that the present batch have to sell out before the publisher will do another edition.
So if anyone's holding off waiting for the new version- you'll just have to wait that much longer!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Greg Jensen wrote:I've been working on a new edition for quite a while- it will add about 60 more species, including several that I've described and named since the first edition came out, plus 'new and improved' pictures. The catch is that the present batch have to sell out before the publisher will do another edition.
So if anyone's holding off waiting for the new version- you'll just have to wait that much longer!
Not me! I can be patient! I wore out the first copy that I bought when it first appeared years ago and have since bought one of the new editions to replace it.

When it finally comes out I'll snatch up the new one in a heartbeat!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ok, greg, i'm doing my part to help get your new edition released. just ordered the current version. looking forward to getting it!

thanks again for your help.