Octo *IN* a Ling!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Octo *IN* a Ling!

Post by nwscubamom »

Don Coleman found this strange sight the other day and asked me to post his photo for him due to technical difficulties he's having with his computer. He says:

"I took a few hours off to do a fun dive today with my son-in-law. We found an octo and a ling, actually an octo in a ling. Thought it was worth sharing. The octo is still alive. The ling was a bit lethargic. I wonder if either will survive? "

Great shot, Don!! What a weird experience it must have been!

- Janna :)
Attachments
IMG_9271.JPG
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Octo *IN* a Ling!

Post by Tom Nic »

Janna did a fun dive?!? Awesome! You need to do that more often!! \:D/

What an amazing picture of the Octo-in-a-Ling. Reminds me of pirates of the Caribbean... :pale:

Just when you think you've seen it all...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

What a great find! Talk about biting off more than you can chew!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Defiantly looks like a no-win situation! Hard to feel sorry for an alfa predator but in this case I think it's appropriate
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

No Tom, Janna didn't do a "fun dive" it was Don. Janna just posted it for him. What a silly question - I can't believe you even asked. You KNOW Janna doesn't dive for "fun!"

I'm guessing the ling was lethargic due to difficulty getting oxygen - the octo's arms are plugging things up a bit. I bet the ling either died, or became so lethargic that the octo was able to escape.

What a weird thing to happen upon!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Sounder wrote:No Tom, Janna didn't do a "fun dive" it was Don. Janna just posted it for him. What a silly question - I can't believe you even asked. You KNOW Janna doesn't dive for "fun!"
That's right!!! NO FUN!!

[-X
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:No Tom, Janna didn't do a "fun dive" it was Don. Janna just posted it for him. What a silly question - I can't believe you even asked. You KNOW Janna doesn't dive for "fun!"
Oooopppsss. My bad. What was I thinking?! :axe:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow- THAT is pretty wild.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

So who was trying to eat who?
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

Thanks for posting the pic Janna! I found that guy yesterday on The Pinnacle SW side. We'll be keeping our eyes open for him this weekend. Great example of you never know what you'll find when you dive!
don
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That is one of the strangest uw photos I've ever seen. What a great find, I really wonder what happened. Do ling cods usually eat octos (or the other way around)?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Calvin wrote:That is one of the strangest uw photos I've ever seen. What a great find, I really wonder what happened. Do ling cods usually eat octos (or the other way around)?
I think a big enough GPO could opportunistically grab a smaller Ling. And I would also guess that a Ling wouldn't hesitate to nab a smaller octo found in the open. So I vote yes for both! :supz:
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Tom Nic wrote:
Calvin wrote:That is one of the strangest uw photos I've ever seen. What a great find, I really wonder what happened. Do ling cods usually eat octos (or the other way around)?
I think a big enough GPO could opportunistically grab a smaller Ling. And I would also guess that a Ling wouldn't hesitate to nab a smaller octo found in the open. So I vote yes for both! :supz:
This is a link to a video of a GPO grabbing and eating a shark. I dont think the ling would have to be all that small!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xECjNBk ... re=related
brownick
Avid Diver

Post by brownick »

Very cool picture! Thanks for posting!
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

That is really, really creepy!!!!

Here is another Octo / Fish encounter that did not end well for one party:

Dave
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

A year or two ago some friends of mine in Canada described finding the exact same thing up there- a ling with octo tentacles coming out of its gills and down its body. But they didn't have a camera with them. At first glance they thought it was tangled in a net or something. As I recall, the outcome there was still in question.
Thanks to Don for sharing- glad he had his camera!