Northwest Nudibranchs

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: serendipity

Post by dwashbur »

dphershman wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:A pretty one from yesterday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes indeed Bob.... very nice!

This itty bitty white nudibranch caught my eye on the pipe at Redondo on Saturday. I didn't notice until later that its surrounded by quite a few Barnacle Eating dorids Onchidoris bilamellata. Am I correct on these? Any guess as the the identity of the white one (about the size of a corn kernel).

Dan
It's also a barnacle-eater. We used to see a lot of that white variation at the oil dock.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Northwest Nudibranchs

Post by Dusty2 »

I posted these elsewhere but thought I'd do them here so the nudie lovers could see. All of these were taken at Les davis. The opalescents are out in great numbers and are really huge at Les Davis right now
9212net.JPG
9216net.JPG
9256net.JPG
Speaking of huge this guy is about a foot long and 5 to 6" across the antlers. Check out the opalescents in the picture to get an idea of scale.
9232net.JPG
9233net.JPG
A really nice Diamond tritonia
7566net.JPG
7572net.JPG
And what series would be complete without the pretty white lined shot
7323net.JPG
Last edited by Dusty2 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Nice pics Dusty, the Opalecents were all over Cove 2 last sunday too.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

Sunday at Redondo. I have seen The shaggy Mouse once before but didn't get a pic. This was a big one.
Redondo752009 039.jpg
Redondo752009 040.jpg
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Nice pix! It's hard to get a good-contrast pic of those guys because they tend to be the same color as the background.

Is that an anemone he's munching on?
Dave

--
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

He's definitely on it. Whether or not it's being eaten is debatable. For as much as I liked about Redondo I'd have to say overall the plumose anemone's are sad looking. I dont think I saw one that was opened up. Maybe the lack of current is like an involuntary weight watchers program for them?
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

Heres a few from Edmonds Underwater park on sunday. There were many to be seen. I can ID this one thanks to this post & forum. Thanks for the education all.
I give you Hermissenda crassicornis the Opalescant Nudibranch.
EUP7122009 018_edited.jpg
EUP7122009 020_edited.jpg
EUP7122009 012_edited.jpg
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Nice shots! =D> I'll bet that it feels great to feel yourself progressing like this, huh? :highfive:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice shots. I never get enough of these guys this time of year. And the shaggy is definitely eating the anemone. It's their favorite food and you can tell it's in distress by the stringy white filaments you see in the picture. They are a defense mechanism but of no use against the shaggies.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

When is John going to stop holding out & show the rest of us how to get rich doing this for a living? :bootyshake:
I love to learn, theres no doubt about that. Too bad its so expensive. I REALLY want a strobe & a focus light. I can live with my puny little camera for a while longer. I'd love to hear what you started with John. maybe I wouldnt feel so bad.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Here's a few for the party - The Flabellina triophinas at Sund this week were abundant, large (for them) and gorgeous. Found them laying eggs, mating, and just doing what they do. (Come to think of it, throw in eating and that's all that they do...)

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dphershman
Aquanaut

Neah Bay Nudibranchs

Post by dphershman »

I went to Neah Bay last weekend, here's of some of the nudibranchs from our dives. Being on the coast produces some interesting variations in species and size!

White Nudibranch (duh!) Doris odhneri

a pair of Noble Sea Lemons Peltodoris nobilis with a hermit crab hitch hiker.

Itty bitty Longhorn Nudibranch Hermissenda crassicornis

A pair of Cooper's Dorid Aldisa cooperi

a really large Orange Peel Nudibranch Toquina tetraquetra
Dan Hershman :smt024
dphershman
Aquanaut

A Frosted Nudibranch of a different color

Post by dphershman »

Frosted Nudibranchs Dirona albolineata are usually all white, but sometimes you'll find them with color variations leaning towards orange, pink or even violet. I saw violet ones in Victoria BC at Ogden Point a couple of years ago and haven't seen one since. So I was excited when I recently found this one at Neah Bay. Its kind of an pinkish-violet color (I think-- unless my monitor is playing tricks on me).

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Nice photo - I never tire of seeing this species.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tom Nic wrote:Here's a few for the party - The Flabellina triophinas at Sund this week were abundant, large (for them) and gorgeous. Found them laying eggs, mating, and just doing what they do. (Come to think of it, throw in eating and that's all that they do...)
Wow! Those shots are clear as a bell, Tom! I think that this one below is especially gorgeous and needs to be up on your wall! In your "mind's eye" imagine it with a double burgundy/brown matt and a natural wood frame....ooooh!

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I agree with John ... that's an exceptional shot!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:...and needs to be up on your wall! In your "mind's eye" imagine it with a double burgundy/brown matt and a natural wood frame....ooooh!
Thanks guys.

Hmmm.... now need to see if my wife will let me put a picture up.... ;)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I been tryin for a long time to get what I felt was a really good Opalescent shot but they never quite seemed to turn me on till I got his one last thursday at port Townsend. For once everything came together.
1184net.JPG
this one got my interest because they were actually laying but when I got the picture on the computer I noticed that to the right there is the smallest puget sound king crab I have ever seen!
1475net.JPG
And several other nudi shots turned out good too.
1494ecu.JPG
1495net.JPG
1579net.JPG
1707net.JPG
1710net.JPG
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Dusty2 wrote:I been tryin for a long time to get what I felt was a really good Opalescent shot but they never quite seemed to turn me on till I got his one last thursday at port Townsend. For once everything came together.
1184net.JPG
this one got my interest because they were actually laying but when I got the picture on the computer I noticed that to the right there is the smallest puget sound king crab I have ever seen!
1475net.JPG
Cool shots! And in the second picture at the top edge of the frame, just right of center there's a really tiny dude, maybe a Flabellina?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Great shots, Dusty!

It's amazing the tiny life that can be discovered when you peer closely enough at even the smallest macro photos!

- John

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

dphershman wrote:Cool shots! And in the second picture at the top edge of the frame, just right of center there's a really tiny dude, maybe a Flabellina?
Yep Flabellina trilinata. There are lots of them at PT but they are really tiny and this is how you see most of them. As an added bonus in another photo.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Dusty2 wrote:
dphershman wrote:Cool shots! And in the second picture at the top edge of the frame, just right of center there's a really tiny dude, maybe a Flabellina?
Yep Flabellina trilinata. There are lots of them at PT but they are really tiny and this is how you see most of them. As an added bonus in another photo.
I wasn't there so I didn't see it in situ, but the coloring looks more like a Flabellina verrucosa to me :neener:
Dave

--
dphershman
Aquanaut

Hooded Nudibranchs at Cove 2

Post by dphershman »

I've seen Hooded Nudibranchs Melibe leonina this summer one every dive so far this summer at Cove 2, hanging out on the seaweed between 10-40 feet. Last night I had my camera! (no photo, no proof)

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice spotted specimen Dan. Wish you could have been with me a couple weeks ago at Sund Rock. There were literally hundreds! Packed so tightly together on the kelp it was almost impossible to get an individual picture. Plus the Flabellina trophina were everywhere below 30 feet. An awesome photo op. It was a branchers paradise.

If you haven't already check out http://underthesound.smugmug.com/Underw ... 4936_S8a4v
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Dusty2 wrote:Nice spotted specimen Dan. Wish you could have been with me a couple weeks ago at Sund Rock. There were literally hundreds! Packed so tightly together on the kelp it was almost impossible to get an individual picture. Plus the Flabellina trophina were everywhere below 30 feet. An awesome photo op. It was a branchers paradise.

If you haven't already check out http://underthesound.smugmug.com/Underw ... 4936_S8a4v

Cool! Let me know the next time you go--- my schedule is more open this year than last!