more octo!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
jedijordos
Avid Diver

more octo!

Post by jedijordos »

alki octo
Attachments
circlesoctocopywrite.jpg
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: more octo!

Post by cardiver »

Kind of ruins the pic by having your name plastered across the entire image.... :dontknow:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

It's still a cool pic though. It would be cooler with the watermark in the corner or something though, or at least more faded.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

It's a great pic........
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
jedijordos
Avid Diver

Post by jedijordos »

I agree its not near as cool with a giant name posted across the middle. I really like these images and I dont want people to be able to "steal" them from the internet. If I just had a watermark in the corner someone could easily crop it off in photoshop. This way I think anyone who poaches this image will have a really hard time removing the name. I have no intention of promoting myself by putting my name across the image. I just dont want other people to have it on their desktops or websites etc. Probably would be better if i used a screen name or company name, so it didn't look so vane.
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

Jordan, the watermark issue is definitely a tough one to think about. A small bit of advice if that is your concern though... you posted a 3 mb photo. Anyone with 5 minutes of time and some rudementery knowledge of photoshop could take that photo, remove your name with simple PS tools, and resize it giving them a great little image for web use. That, however, is enough effort to discourage most or all.

Might try to emboss the watermark... it's all stealable i guess, only so much you can do.

Nice shot though, the texture is great!... frame it up next time a little more towards the octo and its even better...

Scott
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Without the watermark, it's a great octo pic. With the watermark, it's a watermark picture with an octo in the background. By the way, it took about minute to erase some of the watermark.
There are ways without using a watermark to make it very difficult to download pictures, but I'm not the one to ask how. Hope you find a better way to protect your pictures while still being able to show them. You obviously know how to take a great picture!
jedijordos
Avid Diver

Post by jedijordos »

OUCH! I need to learn how to properly watermark my stuff! quick!
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

Sorry to burst your bubble, Jed, but anyone can do it. I don't even have photoshop and this took me twenty minutes. Time won't deter those who want the picture badly enough.

http://i35.tinypic.com/znvltf.jpg
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: Digital Image Stealing

Post by nwscubamom »

Hey Jedi,

I used to worry about the same thing, but after years of shooting pics and posting them on the internet, I've had only one problem - (that I know of) and it was quickly resolved with many apologies on the part of WDFW. :)

First off, I soon came to realize - there are WAY better photographers out there than I am...so why exactly would anyone really want to steal MY images? I found I had a rather artificially inflated view of how great I thought my photos were, until I started browsing the internet and saw that while my pics were cool and OK to ME, they weren't really anything THAT amazing. #-o I soon became humbled. :notworthy:

Secondly, posting smaller versions of your photos would help in your desire to minimize usage for wallpaper or whatever. I would suggest uploading a max size of 600 - 800 pixels wide. If you're really worried, don't post at all. (but that kind of defeats the purpose of taking photos in my mind - I love to show others what I've seen down there!)

With the recent availability and affordability of digital underwater cams, the internet is now flooded with tons of images from underwater photographers - and its not like there's a shortage of pics so people would have to steal yours and claim them as their own.

If you are a professional photographer that might be different - when it's your livelihood and you have tens of thousands of dollars tied up in camera gear, I can see it. I have a number of diving friends who fall into this category - and they don't go posting their images on forums like this. They all have their own professional websites with copyright notices, where they can adequately control what they post and tag their photos. Also they do regular image searches to see if others are using their photos illegally. I would suggest a photo website like smugmug, but sign up for a professional account, if that's your goal. (you can watermark and control downloads)

As the years have gone by I've become less paranoid and more of the philosophy that I want others to enjoy and learn about the underwater world through my (mediocre) photos. I've had many requests for use of my pics in publications and for personal use. If you make it so people can easily email you to ask permission, it's been my experience that they WILL ask.

YMMV. (your mileage may vary). Here's hoping you'll be able to find a resolution that suits you!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

excellent advice, janna.

the only thing i would like to add to the conversation in general is that if you really want to post large-ish images for people to view, creating a website with a flash based photo album or slideshow will prevent almost all casual users from being able to grab an image off of the webpage to repurpose. unfortunately, some drawbacks to flash are: 1) linking to a specific image can sometimes be problematic, 2) most online services don't offer flash based albums, so you'd probably have to create your own website, which i could help with (shameless plug), and 3) most require a little knowledge or training on how to update them.

hope this helps, and i look forward to more of your pics.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I like to keep life as simple as possible. Therefore, my philosophy is, if I put it out on the Net, especially in a forum like this, it's fair game. Periodically someone, usually from here, will ask for permission to use a photo or a comment or story or whatever, and I'm always happy to give it but don't consider it necessary. I do appreciate the courtesy, and you'll find that most folks here really are that honest. But really, if you post it here or anywhere else in large form and in a way that can be saved to someone's computer, you're asking for it to be taken. Again, for myself, I don't care. I consider it a compliment. You may not like it, but there it is. I suggest you just go with it; fewer ulcers that way.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

jedijordos wrote:I agree its not near as cool with a giant name posted across the middle. I really like these images and I dont want people to be able to "steal" them from the internet. If I just had a watermark in the corner someone could easily crop it off in photoshop. This way I think anyone who poaches this image will have a really hard time removing the name. I have no intention of promoting myself by putting my name across the image. I just dont want other people to have it on their desktops or websites etc. Probably would be better if i used a screen name or company name, so it didn't look so vane.
If someone *really* wants to steal your stuff, they will. I try to make it a little bit harder for them, posting my images in flash and having a watermark in the corner (so if they crop it out then they'll at least lose some of the photo). But, there is no hard and fast way to totally prevent theft.

My advice, spend your time taking and enjoying photos, rather than worrying about what people do with them. If you find an instance of theft, be vigilant.