Naked Dirona

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Naked Dirona

Post by Tom Nic »

I've read in my nudi books that Alabaster Nudibranchs will readily shed their cerrata if attacked? or bothered? But until today I hadn't seen one that had - or at least that I presumed had.

Check out the White Lined Dirona on the left - looking very naked and chilly without it's cerrata! Either some are starting to grow back or else only the small ones were left.

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: Naked Dirona

Post by nwscubamom »

OK, that's REALLY cool! I've never seen that! I'd read the same thing too, Tom, but never have witnessed it. (like California Sea Cucumbers spewing their guts out to foil a predator - never seen that either)

Great catch and nice shot!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I saw a Dirona lose its cerata to a rose star (one of the few things that eat nudies). The star raised a couple arms up high and slapped them down on the Dirona, and all the cerata were stripped off as it crawled out from underneath.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Very interesting Greg! Now THAT would be very cool to see!

That's fascinating about the Rose Stars - I had never heard of anything eating nudi's - although if something did it figures that it would be a starfish.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

Tom Nic wrote:Very interesting Greg! Now THAT would be very cool to see!

That's fascinating about the Rose Stars - I had never heard of anything eating nudi's - although if something did it figures that it would be a starfish.
I have to admit, i've never spent anytime reading up on it, but i always had the impression that their weren't many nudibranch predators either.

I've been working on a nearshore rockfish stomach contents project this last year and have found quite a number of nudi's in the stomachs of fish... mostly in greenling.

Scott
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scott G wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Very interesting Greg! Now THAT would be very cool to see!

I have to admit, i've never spent anytime reading up on it, but i always had the impression that their weren't many nudibranch predators either.

I've been working on a nearshore rockfish stomach contents project this last year and have found quite a number of nudi's in the stomachs of fish... mostly in greenling.

Scott
Wow! That IS interesting! Any particular species of nudi or could you tell? You'd think that if nudi's were more than an occasional part of Rockfish' diet that folks would observe predations? Unless it is only certain niche species - i.e. this type actually tastes "good" or is palatable? Just wondering outloud... SO many questions! I greatly appreciate the responses.

Tom
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

the last time i did it is fresh in my mind... there were several clown nudi's and those Nanimo dorids (watermelon dorids) or whatever they're called.

was funny to see those because i had just posted wondering if anyone knew why they were in pairs pushing each other around then i found 3 pairs of them in stomachs, none solitary.

Of course you also find rocks and corraline algae in their stomachs, so it is possible, but in my mind, unlikely that the nudi's weren't the taget of the attack.

interesting though, where the fish are from their are many more Diorna's (sp.?), Janolus, and those monterey yellow dorids... and i've never seen any of those in a stomach.