The littlest octo

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

The littlest octo

Post by Dusty2 »

This guy is the smallest octo I have seen in the open. He could have fit in a thimble. He moved around while I took pix then he settled on a piece of metal switched off his colors and became almost invisible instantly. Note he is missing one of the front tenticles, This is what happens when these little guys venture out in the day light. Little fishes love octopus legs.
5716net.jpg
5721net.JPG
5722net.JPG
5726net.JPG
Last edited by Dusty2 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Re: The littlest octo

Post by divergirl07 »

I didnt know Octos HAD testicles........ :evil4:
"Life is short.......... I want it all ...NOW!!"
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

divergirl07 wrote:I didnt know Octos HAD testicles........ :evil4:
I just spit diet pepsi on the monitor.
Jenn
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

MMMMMM Octo testicles - PNW Fish 2009
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

enchantmentdivi wrote:
divergirl07 wrote:I didnt know Octos HAD testicles........ :evil4:
I just spit diet pepsi on the monitor.
It's a GOOD thing I was NOT drinking when I read this thread!! =D>
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Typos aside, that's really neat and thanks for posting about it. =D>
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

oops! sorry folks the spelling checker did me in. Thats what I get for posting so late at night.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dusty2 wrote:Note he is missing one of the front testicles, This is what happens when these little guys venture out in the day light.
i know a few divers that can relate. :evil4:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I'd like to add, all joking aside those are AWESOME pictures and turned out very well. I got me a reefmaster mini for xmas and I cannot for the life of me get a good pic yet. I have been an above water photographer for some time now, and man talk about a completely different flavor of imaging.

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

It was a typo aided by the spell checker but what the heck. It did at least get a rise out of people :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake:
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Norris, I had a reefmaster mini for a bit, and if I remember correctly it is a fixed focus lens, with a fixed focus macro setting as well. I never could get great shots out of it either. I moved to a point and shoot (with an auto focusing lens) and that helped immensely.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Biodiversity_Guy wrote:Norris, I had a reefmaster mini for a bit, and if I remember correctly it is a fixed focus lens, with a fixed focus macro setting as well. I never could get great shots out of it either. I moved to a point and shoot (with an auto focusing lens) and that helped immensely.
I bit my tounge on that one and didn't say anything. I have no love for any of the dedicated underwater cameras.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Dusty2 wrote:I bit my tounge on that one and didn't say anything. I have no love for any of the dedicated underwater cameras.
Apparently, you didn't bite your tongue either long enough, or hard enough.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Diver_C wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:I bit my tongue on that one and didn't say anything. I have no love for any of the dedicated underwater cameras.
Apparently, you didn't bite your tongue either long enough, or hard enough.
Sorry, Just IMHO. They are OK for that tropical dive trip if you just want pix to show your friends and family but not really good at much in our NW waters. If you are looking to produce really good pictures you need a good camera that will give you the flexibility to grow with experiance. At the price of good quality digital cameras these days most of the dedicateds just don't measure up. Just my 2psi
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Certainly noted and thanks. I notice that they sell a macro lense for the thing, you think that may help? I know it would allow me to get a little closer. The strobe they sell retails for like 300+ so it will be some time before I mess with that. So much for trying to save money on getting into the underwater photo world.

he he

Rick
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sorry Rick, Didn't mean to deflate your balloon. I made the same mistake when I started. Wish you had dropped me a line before buying. I could have helped you get in the door for about the same money. The macro lens would probably help but you want to decide if the camera is going to work out before you dump more money into it. From my side I would suggest putting it on ebay and cutting your loses while it is still in good shape. If not use it for a little while then decide. And yes wait on the strobe.

For you and anyone else out there planning to get into underwater photography PLEASE talk to me or some of the other guys on the board before jumping in. It's free and will probably save you money and you can learn from our mistakes.