Wierd Crab...

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
gracefulc
Avid Diver

Wierd Crab...

Post by gracefulc »

I found this crab hiding amongst the I-beams at Cove 2 saturday. He doesn't quite look like any crab I have previously seen unless he's just the hulk version of a kelp crab... He was probably 4-5" across his shell, very large, and just looks, well, WIERD! Anyone? :dontknow:
Attachments
UnknownCrab.jpg
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: Wierd Crab...

Post by nwscubamom »

Scaled Crab, or Placetron wossnessnissssskippi... Wait, let me try that again. Placetron wosnessenskii. There, I think I got it right that time.

- Janna :) (tripping over that name there)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

I can't imagine anyone would care, but i recently ingested the fact that the species name "wosnessenskii" is in honor of a Russian zooligical museum curator of the 1940's Ilya Voznesenski.

Normall reserved, I could not pass up this oppurtunity to dispense this information, as i see no other time i may be able to in my life.

:)

also, "stewardess" is the longest word in the English language that you can properly type with your left hand.

okay, now its time to go to bed.

Scott
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I heard somewhere along the line that such names end in "ski" because they couldn't spell "toboggan."

It's WAY too early in the morning to be thinking about such things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
FishGirl
Getting To Know Folks

Post by FishGirl »

Scott G wrote:I can't imagine anyone would care, but i recently ingested the fact that the species name "wosnessenskii" is in honor of a Russian zooligical museum curator of the 1940's Ilya Voznesenski.

Normall reserved, I could not pass up this oppurtunity to dispense this information, as i see no other time i may be able to in my life.

:)

Scott
You learn something new every day...thanks Scott!
I love you, I whispered into the ear of the ocean. Ever since I've known you, I've loved you. I must see all your marvels, know all your beauty." And the ocean listened and snuggled still closer to me. Hans Hass
><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
¯`·. ><((((º>`·.