"New study reveals all octopuses are venomous"

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
spatman
I've Got Gills

"New study reveals all octopuses are venomous"

Post by spatman »

Dr Bryan Fry from the Department of Biochemistry at the Bio21 Institute, University of Melbourne said that while the blue-ringed octopus species remain the only group that aredangerous to humans, the other species have been quietly using their venom for predation, such as paralysing a clam into opening its shell.
http://uninews.unimelb.edu.au/view.php?articleID=5755
gcbryan
Submariner

Re: "New study reveals all octopuses are venomous"

Post by gcbryan »

I didn't think there was anything new about this. I knew that the GPO uses an enzyme that affects the muscle tissue whether it's called venomous or it is simply dissolving the tissue I didn't know. I'm no expert for sure but upon reading the article I'm not sure what is new. Any marine biologists here?
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Read about it this morning.
Another reason to look and not touch.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I suspect this has either been 'dumbed down' so much for public release, or the reporter oversimplified it, or whatever because it's long been known that octos are poisonous to some extent or another. Of our locals, reds reportedly have a nastier bite than GPOs.
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Greg Jensen wrote:I suspect this has either been 'dumbed down' so much for public release, or the reporter oversimplified it, or whatever because it's long been known that octos are poisonous to some extent or another. Of our locals, reds reportedly have a nastier bite than GPOs.
Thanks Greg. I also know from my octo handling friends at the aquarium that reds do bite more often than GPO's. I didn't know that their bites were nastier mainly because I don't know anyone who has been bitten by a GPO.