PADI CCR?

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

PADI CCR?

Post by ArcticDiver »

On my last trip one of the folks on the boat told me PADI now has relations with some rebreather manufacturer and was encouraging the use of rebreathers. He was diving a rebreather and said he was with a local shop. I went to the PADI web site but could find nothing about that. Anybody have any reliable info?

Also, I was told that PADI is now encouraging, almost mandating, that all top line, Five Star?, shops carry rebreather consumables? Again, any reliable info?

If both are corrrect then I'm going to take another look at rebreathers.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: PADI CCR?

Post by Joshua Smith »

ArcticDiver wrote:If both are corrrect then I'm going to take another look at rebreathers.
I'm confused by this statement. Why would someone interested in a rebreather care what PADI thinks about anything?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:If both are corrrect then I'm going to take another look at rebreathers.
I'm confused by this statement. Why would someone interested in a rebreather care what PADI thinks about anything?
Maybe Arctic travels and getting CCR supplies (even just 100%) is a concern? If all 5 star padi places will be carrying 100% and sorb then they are easier to travel with - at least with air dil???
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Ahhh..bias is showing.

Anyway, as a traveling diver the lack of consumables at the destination is a big deterrent to a CCR. If PADI is doing what I was told my chances of having someone at my destination who is familiar with CCRs and has spare parts if needed is better.

I've always like the idea. But, the logistics hassle combined with cost has deterred me. If PADI has gotten behind them both cost and logistics will become much better.

Yep, not only Jack's items but O2 also. Most places I go I can get EAN.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ArcticDiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Ahhh..bias is showing.

Anyway, as a traveling diver the lack of consumables at the destination is a big deterrent to a CCR. If PADI is doing what I was told my chances of having someone at my destination who is familiar with CCRs and has spare parts if needed is better.

I've always like the idea. But, the logistics hassle combined with cost has deterred me. If PADI has gotten behind them both cost and logistics will become much better.

Yep, not only Jack's items but O2 also. Most places I go I can get EAN.
Ah. That makes sense. As it sits, there are some places where CCRs are welcome, and some where they are not. There have been a lot of rumblings about a PADI-approved CCR over the last few years, but I don't think they've jumped yet.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

Here is a bit of info on it that i found.

http://www.submergeproductions.com/vide ... sodeid=114
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

ArcticDiver wrote: Ahhh..bias is showing.
Worst reason in the whole world to be pro/against/no opinion on CCRs. If you let the agency bias you you'll sure as *(&^( be biased in what unit you dive which could/could not kill you. Remember most manufactures have A LOT of input over the agencies allowed to issue C-Cards and what is taught in a class, pick your breather then your instructor and agency be damned.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Agent 47 wrote:Here is a bit of info on it that i found.

http://www.submergeproductions.com/vide ... sodeid=114
Thanks. That video fits what I was told. Since the info isn't on the PADI web site apparently the program hasn't launched yet.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ArcticDiver wrote:Since the info isn't on the PADI web site apparently the program hasn't launched yet.
if that program had launched you'd know it. their marketing department would make sure of it.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

I believe the Natulis is going to be the first CCR on board.

Here is a link that has some info.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/dsat-pad ... ses-3.html
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Yeah, PADI is formulating both Tec and Recreational level CCR courses for later this year.

http://tecrec.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/ ... confirmed/

http://tecrec.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/ ... explained/

I believe the Poseidon will be the "recreational" unit and I dont think a specific Tec unit has been selected yet.

They have some excellent minds in the CCR field behind this PADI+CCR move and this will be the first "New Era" re-breather courses built from the ground up by a big training agency like PADI with manufacturer and big name CCR experts in the mix as well.

I'm very eagerly anticipating early CCR course-ware - people can say what they want, but the TECREC course-ware is really decently put together as well as all the instructor materials & media.

Theres a lot of debate at RBW on this, but I am avidly impressed with the TECREC training materials, as long as they can bring a solid set of intructor trainers to the field, I'm in.

looking forward to the details as it unfolds, a "wait and see" game at this point
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

PADI CCR team gets underway with their first CCR unit testing and manufacturer hands on sessions with the guys from VR, Poseidon, and Ambient Pressure.

Looks like the first units they are getting their hands on are the Poseidon MkVI (Recreational), Insperation (Tec),
VR Sentinel (from the Sanctum movie.. both Rec and Tec?)

Interrestingly enough all these CCR;s are completely electronic.. I was hoping for a real breather, like a rEvo or Meg..

http://tecrec.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/ ... cr-courses
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

kdupreez wrote:Interrestingly enough all these CCR;s are completely electronic.. I was hoping for a real breather, like a rEvo or Meg..

why arent those 3 a real rebreather? i know the posiedon is purely a rec rebreather but curious as to the other 2 .
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Was being slightly facicious, but those are fully eCCR's you cant run them in manual mode (afaik) and theres the big manual vs fully electronic debate..

I was hoping that at least for the Tec parts they would use a manual or even hybrid mode. I believe you should learn to walk before you run and should learn a manual CCR and dive it for a couple of years before doing full electronic.

That same philosophy is what I apply in Tec classes, I dont allow computers to be used until students fully understand the basics of the process of planning the dive and running it according to plan, including required gas calculations, contingency planning, etc.

If Computers always do the thinking for you, it makes you complacent.. You have a brain.. use it!

I dont want to open this up in a big "computers vs bottom timer" debate email, but that was the reasoning behind the tongue in cheek comment.