Interesting video about effects of Hypoxia

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
citycatred
Submariner

Re: Interesting video about effects of Hypoxia

Post by citycatred »

So thats whats wrong with you....
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

No, I just don't give a Sh@t... I've been told that is my problem :angelblue:

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

you are a honey badger, which isn't really a problem ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ljjames wrote:you are a honey badger, which isn't really a problem ;)
Honey Badgers are way more badass than Geek.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

spatman wrote:
+1 :angelblue: :angelblue: :angelblue:
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Which reminds me, spatty and geek, redondo on sunday?
Cynthia Heimel
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Scary.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

spatman wrote:
Bad ass is a state of mind, and I'm the baddest most awsomest, coolest, brilliant, good looking one in mine...... oh, and humble too :angelblue:

citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Geek wrote:
spatman wrote:
Bad ass is a state of mind, and I'm the baddest most awsomest, coolest, brilliant, good looking one in mine...... oh, and humble too :angelblue:
chokes and dies on all that humbleness
Cynthia Heimel
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

citycatred wrote:
Geek wrote:
spatman wrote:
chokes and dies on all that humbleness
gags and vomits on putrid humility
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Wow. That is a very illustrative video. Thanks for posting, Geek, even if you don't give a $h@t!
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

FYI - anyone can try this for themselves in the US. I consider it highly advisable for any rebreather divers out there.

The FAA, via it's civil aeromedical branch (CAMI) offers this training for free in Oklahoma City, or at nominal cost at a bunch of air force bases...Spokane is the closest to Seattle. Last time I went for it, I think it was something like $50 - may have gone up a little, but it's still dirt cheap. It's basically a full day of classroom, with a chamber ride in the end.

The only requirement is you have an FAA third-class medical or better, which you can get from an aviation medical examiner for about $75. If you're not actually a pilot, it comes with a student pilot certificate for free :) You can actually take the class without the medical, but you can't ride in the chamber.

Seriously good training; I did it for a high-altitude endorsement a number of years back, so I could fly pressurized aircraft up in the flight levels, but I think I actually got more out of it with relation to the rebreather diving...

More info here: http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airm ... hysiology/
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

camerone wrote:FYI - anyone can try this for themselves in the US. I consider it highly advisable for any rebreather divers out there.

The FAA, via it's civil aeromedical branch (CAMI) offers this training for free in Oklahoma City, or at nominal cost at a bunch of air force bases...Spokane is the closest to Seattle. Last time I went for it, I think it was something like $50 - may have gone up a little, but it's still dirt cheap. It's basically a full day of classroom, with a chamber ride in the end.

The only requirement is you have an FAA third-class medical or better, which you can get from an aviation medical examiner for about $75. If you're not actually a pilot, it comes with a student pilot certificate for free :) You can actually take the class without the medical, but you can't ride in the chamber.

Seriously good training; I did it for a high-altitude endorsement a number of years back, so I could fly pressurized aircraft up in the flight levels, but I think I actually got more out of it with relation to the rebreather diving...

More info here: http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airm ... hysiology/
I'll be darned. I never heard about that before. Very cool.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Cam, you're just full of surprises!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

After that anyone doubt the wisdom of following the Flight Attendant's briefing to "...put on your own mask first before assisting others."?

Especially since, as I recall, you are already at 8000' PA before the decompression.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

ArcticDiver wrote:After that anyone doubt the wisdom of following the Flight Attendant's briefing to "...put on your own mask first before assisting others."?

Especially since, as I recall, you are already at 8000' PA before the decompression.
What the flight attendants don't tell you:
  • Your actual time of useful consciousness is about 10 seconds at 40,000' after an explosive decompression (if it's gradual, you might get double that...if you're lucky). Hope you actually are lucid enough to remember what you're doing
  • Your ear drums are probably bloody, blown out, and in pain
  • The pilot is diving the plane as rapidly as possible to get to a lower altitude, so your stomach is back up at 40,000'...
  • Everyone around you is going to be acting like a panicked moron
What she really ought to say is, "grab a mask and good luck," but that's not particularly reassuring to the general public...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

camerone wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:After that anyone doubt the wisdom of following the Flight Attendant's briefing to "...put on your own mask first before assisting others."?

What the flight attendants don't tell you:
  • Your actual time of useful consciousness is about 10 seconds at 40,000' after an explosive decompression (if it's gradual, you might get double that...if you're lucky). Hope you actually are lucid enough to remember what you're doing
  • Your ear drums are probably bloody, blown out, and in pain
  • The pilot is diving the plane as rapidly as possible to get to a lower altitude, so your stomach is back up at 40,000'...
  • Everyone around you is going to be acting like a panicked moron
What she really ought to say is, "grab a mask and good luck," but that's not particularly reassuring to the general public...
Thats depressing but really funny at the same time....
Cynthia Heimel
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Usually domestic airlines fly plus or minus a bit around 35,000 feet so you only have about 27,000 feet of altitude differential. (I'll leave it to the other folks to calculate the pressure differential). Then, although decompressions do happen rapid decompressions are exceedinly rare. Big, big difference between a Decompression and a Rapid/Explosive Decompression. One is very survivable for most everyone. Last one I personally know about no one, crew or passengers, was injured. The Rapid Decompression may cause some injuries, especially if there is a respiratory problem, ears plugged, or somesuch.

Lets' face it; there are hazards no matter how a person travels. Commercial aviation is the safest mode. Not perfect; but pretty close.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Now if you want something that is truly worthless and actually not so funny let us consider the Life Vest. Anyone who has ever used an SMB knows about the manual inflation tubes. Those used on the vests are the same. Good luck putting one in your mouth and inflating by simply blowing.

Then, there is actual survivablility. Assuming it is a successful water landing just how long can a person expect to live in N Pacific water? Not long. Every time we fly my wife and I look at each other and comment that at least they'll be able to find the body.

Fortunately, the airlines are so reliable for planning purposes this whole thing is a non-issue.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Finally got a minute to watch this. Very enlightening, thanks for posting.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

This hypoxia talk and video reminds me of this doomed flight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522
Another doomed flight that I've heard of due to pressure problems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Ai ... Flight_981

Have a nice day! :laugh:
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Wow. Very scary.
Kelly
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

diverden wrote:This hypoxia talk and video reminds me of this doomed flight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522
Another doomed flight that I've heard of due to pressure problems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Ai ... Flight_981

Have a nice day! :laugh:
Yep, no telling what is going to happen when the crew makes mistakes. Assuming what is presented in Wikipedia is accurate I'd say they died of crew error. Something like in a homicide blunt force trauma being the instrument of death but the cause being the guy who swung the hammer.

This whole post reinforces, to me at least, in addition to precautions for the rebreather diver, for every divier, the wisdom of analyzing every cyclinder of breathing gas a diver uses. Grant you mistakes are rare and the risk is low, witness the very low accident/incident numbers, but it doesn't take long and the consequences of wrong breathing gas are grave.