Got a Meg

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Got a Meg

Post by Chris Borgen »

Well after owning two other megs, then going to a revo, I am now back to a COPIS Meg. Looking forward to getting it in the water.
Attachments
CIMG5261.jpg
Maritime Documentation Society
http://www.maritimedocumentation.org
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Got a Meg

Post by Joshua Smith »

Good choice! I recommend sending it down to ISC for an Apecs conversion next.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Woop! Woop!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

Joshua Smith wrote:Good choice! I recommend sending it down to ISC for an Apecs conversion next.
Haha not gonna happen! Already tore all the copis parts out and wired in two fisher cables.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Chris Borgen wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Good choice! I recommend sending it down to ISC for an Apecs conversion next.
Haha not gonna happen! Already tore all the copis parts out and wired in two fisher cables.
Doing the "dual shearwater, no HUD" deal?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
raptor
Dive-aholic

Got a Meg

Post by raptor »

What do you like better about the Meg?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

raptor wrote:What do you like better about the Meg?

Cool logo.

Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
Yes sir!!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Got a Meg

Post by spatman »

Chris Borgen wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
Yes sir!!
I'll admit to knowing relatively little about CCRs, but why wouldn't you want the HUD?
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

spatman wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
Yes sir!!
I'll admit to knowing relatively little about CCRs, but why wouldn't you want the HUD?
I dont find it necessary. I have dove the past 2.5 years without one, and there was never a time (not even once) I said, "gee, wish I had a hud." I dont want to have a small light flashing in front of my face during my dive. Po2 litterally drops so slowly that if it has gotten to the point where my po2 is dropping to a dangerous range and I haven't noticed it....then probably shouldn't be diving a ccr or maybe even diving at all. Some people dont look at their displays and fly their unit using their hud, but it takes what... literaly 1 second to glance down and see all three cells are reading relatively the same. Some people have one display and a hud, I choose to have two displays reading po2 and calculating real time deco. Not for everyone Im sure, but then nothing is.
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

raptor wrote:What do you like better about the Meg?

Hey Raptor,

The rEvo is an excellent unit, easy to dive, easy to setup, has been dove to over 700 fsw, etc, etc. The main reasons I switched were that I like being able to use a standard backplate and wing setup with the unit. The revo uses a split custom backplate, so the only way to use an argon bottle is to clip the bottle (6cu ft or 13 cu ft) to the outside of the unit. I wasn't a fan of that and actually had multiple occassions where the clip holding the bottle came un done from the unit and was hanging off. Also if you want to change wings there are two bolts on the bottom and top of the unit that hold the wing and backplate to the unit which are not 11" on center like most wings and backplates are. So you have to make your own holes in the wing (not hard but still). If you add a backplate to the revo you have to bend the top because the top of the revo bends inward, now making that backplate unusable for anything else. Also I use x brackets on my meg so that I can use a large variety and pretty much any cylinder available. The revo has to use special brackets to hold the tanks on. So in the end it really came down the logistical gear configuration I like better on the meg. Its also nice being able to call up the manufacturer in our same time zone and have parts in a couple of days. Revo parts come out of NJ or Ocean edge outfitters (nice enough guys) but they charge an arm and a leg. (Bought a new cell tray for my revo before I sold it...a clear thin cheap looking piece of hard plastic, it was $33.00. My buddy Erik joked that he should have just saved me his microwave dinner tray to use:) Dont get me wrong, the meg isnt perfect either but from a configuration standpoint..its got the advantage.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Chris Borgen wrote:
spatman wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
Yes sir!!
I dont find it necessary. I have dove the past 2.5 years without one, and there was never a time (not even once) I said, "gee, wish I had a hud." I dont want to have a small light flashing in front of my face during my dive. Po2 litterally drops so slowly that if it has gotten to the point where my po2 is dropping to a dangerous range and I haven't noticed it....then probably shouldn't be diving a ccr or maybe even diving at all. Some people dont look at their displays and fly their unit using their hud, but it takes what... literaly 1 second to glance down and see all three cells are reading relatively the same. Some people have one display and a hud, I choose to have two displays reading po2 and calculating real time deco. Not for everyone Im sure, but then nothing is.

Fair enough. I love my HUD. Wouldn't want to dive without it; but whatever works for you, works for you.

Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
spatman wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
Yes sir!!

Fair enough. I love my HUD. Wouldn't want to dive without it; but whatever works for you, works for you.
Haha, yeah...different strokes for different folks!
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

+1
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

That's pretty much what I did before even diving my copis meg, yanked the stock electronics sold them off and wired it with shearwater Pursuit and shearwater HUD. The HUD is a convenience not a necessity... any combo that has you actively engaged is key. some people seem to be able to stay actively engaged in full auto, I'm not one of them.

My wife loves her shearwater copis, I've switched to a rEvo and love it too. we are fortunate to have several excellent options available.
Chris Borgen wrote:
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!