ISC Predator Mini CCR

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

ISC Predator Mini CCR

Post by Mongo »

Anyone have experience with it? ISC describes it as an entry level and/or bailout rebreather.

I have a growing interest in crossing over to the darkside.

Thanks for your time.

Jonathan
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: ISC Predator Mini CCR

Post by ljjames »

I would recommend taking a look at the Pathfinder...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

The prototype Kiss SideKick I'm testing is also a bail out rebreather, but some folks are using it as a primary down in Cave Country.

Its not CCR though, rather SCR.

There are lots of rebreather options out there.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

http://www.customrebreathers.com/
My .02
ISC always has a large booth at the Tacoma Dive & Travel show. I would recommend coming and talking to them and seeing the products in person.
FWIW I have always found ISC's customer service to be top notch. They have gone over & above for our team on a few occasions. Having ISC somewhat local is also real nice for addressing service or maintenance issues.
Rob
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

ljjames wrote:I would recommend taking a look at the Pathfinder...
Why?
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

rjw wrote:http://www.customrebreathers.com/
My .02
ISC always has a large booth at the Tacoma Dive & Travel show. I would recommend coming and talking to them and seeing the products in person.
FWIW I have always found ISC's customer service to be top notch. They have gone over & above for our team on a few occasions. Having ISC somewhat local is also real nice for addressing service or maintenance issues.
Rob
Thanks. Good to know.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mongo wrote:
Why?
Because the Pathfinder actually exists, whereas the other one is still more or less of a prototype.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

What Josh said, plus the fact that the Pathfinder is far more versatile for our use in a still very small package. In the predator you are looking at comparatively short, i _think_ about an hour (or 90 min?) of cartridge time (uses extendair, no granular scrubber option as far as I'm aware). cartridges are $. You are limited by depth and duration. It really is designed more for military, homeland security, short/shallow-ish (recreational limit) duration no bubbles needed applications and/or surface applications that need breathable gas (firefighters etc..) or as a depth and time limited bailout system when running for home.

The Pathfinder is designed as recreational to tech 1ish (200') mixed gas CCR and everywhere in between. It can be dived in a minimal setup (a small O2 on the back and bailout slung) or utilized in a standard CCR config (both dil and O2 on back + slung bailout). It has a 3 hours (if memory serves me) duration depending on the scrubber used, and can use either an extendair or granular scrubber / radial canister. The IScan electronics are pretty cool, totally plug and play, which means for the most part you can fix things (if you bash up a HUD or controller, you no longer have to send the whole head back to the hatching ground - great for travel and expeditions)

As rjw said, ISC is in our backyard, and they are awesome... Stop in and ask at the booth or give em a call and drop by the factory :) They will be able to answer your questions more thoroughly and accurately than most online forums :)

Mongo wrote:
Why?
----
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

ljjames wrote:What Josh said, plus the fact that the Pathfinder is far more versatile for our use in a still very small package. In the predator you are looking at comparatively short, i _think_ about an hour (or 90 min?) of cartridge time (uses extendair, no granular scrubber option as far as I'm aware). cartridges are $. You are limited by depth and duration. It really is designed more for military, homeland security, short/shallow-ish (recreational limit) duration no bubbles needed applications and/or surface applications that need breathable gas (firefighters etc..) or as a depth and time limited bailout system when running for home.

The Pathfinder is designed as recreational to tech 1ish (200') mixed gas CCR and everywhere in between. It can be dived in a minimal setup (a small O2 on the back and bailout slung) or utilized in a standard CCR config (both dil and O2 on back + slung bailout). It has a 3 hours (if memory serves me) duration depending on the scrubber used, and can use either an extendair or granular scrubber / radial canister. The IScan electronics are pretty cool, totally plug and play, which means for the most part you can fix things (if you bash up a HUD or controller, you no longer have to send the whole head back to the hatching ground - great for travel and expeditions)

As rjw said, ISC is in our backyard, and they are awesome... Stop in and ask at the booth or give em a call and drop by the factory :) They will be able to answer your questions more thoroughly and accurately than most online forums :)

Mongo wrote:
Why?

Thanks!
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Thanks for the replies everone.

However, I was wondering if anyone around here has dove one and what thier impressions were.

Thanks again.

Jonathan
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mongo wrote:Thanks for the replies everone.

However, I was wondering if anyone around here has dove one and what thier impressions were.

Thanks again.

Jonathan
Nope. Maybe Laura has.....but they're basically like unicorns.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

A Unicorn I have yet to dive :) I have watched Leon dive it... He also had it up at a demo day in BC last year for folks to play with. It really didn't interest me enough to dive it instead of the Pathfinder...
----
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Why not go straight to the source and give ISC a call? I'd imagine if there's any way of seing one that would br you beat bet. Plus you'd get to see where they're made AND the rest of the line-up.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Mongo, If you ever decide to go down to ISC< lemme know, I"ll tag along.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.