7th Annual Photo Competition!

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

7th Annual Photo Competition!

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Pariticipation is OPEN to ALL!

The Puget Sound Depth Chargers presents our
7th Annual Photo Competition

Saturday, August 21st, 2010
at the Marine Science and Technology Center at Redondo

Gallery Open & Public Voting: 10:00 AM-2:00PM
Awards Ceremony: 2:30 PM

How To Participate:
*Prints must be 8 inches x 10 inches
*Prints should be ready to hang in a black 11 x 14 “gallery” frame with a black, white, or black & white single or double mat; width of frame 1 inch or less; please secure your photograph to the mat.
*Collages, video stills, previously entered photos, previously published photos, or photos that do not meet size requirements cannot be accepted. Please do not sign your photo and/or mat.
*Please limit digital editing to minimal adjustments of brightness, contrast, color, and sharpness only. Cropping, cloning, and other digital manipulation is not allowed except for entries into the Digital Era category. These guidelines will enable people who are not as savvy at Photoshop to compete on more-or-less even ground as those with more experience as well as highlight composition and lighting skills. Please exercise care in the decisions that you make.
*Submissions must be clearly marked on the back with photographer’s name, email address, phone number, photo identification, and photo location
*Titling your entry is highly encouraged
*Entries accepted at any club meeting or by appointment: psdepthchargers@yahoo.com
*Entry deadline is Saturday, August 14th at 5:00 PM
*Entry fee: $5.00 per photo (100% of all entry fees will be donated to MaST!)

Twelve Competitive Divisions:

Cold Water Wide Angle: Photo covers a large area and has a distinct foreground, background, and subject shot in a cold water environment such as the Pacific Northwest.
Warm Water Wide Angle: Photo covers a large area and has a distinct foreground, background, and subject shot in a warm water, tropical location.
Cold Water Macro: Photo is a subject taken at very close range and showing minute detail normally not seen by the naked eye shot in a cold water environment such as the Pacific Northwest.
Warm Water Macro: Photo is a subject taken at very close range and showing minute detail normally not seen by the naked eye shot in a warm water, tropical location.
Cold Water Marine Life: Photo is a single subject with foreground and background as secondary or obscure. Photo typically shows clear and unique details of the subject shot in a cold water environment such as the Pacific Northwest.
Warm Water Marine Life: Photo is a single subject with foreground and background as secondary or obscure. Photo typically shows clear and unique details of the subject shot in a warm water, tropical location.
Cold Water Nudibranch: Photo is a nudibranch (commonly referred to as a “sea slug”) shot in a cold water environment such as the Pacific Northwest.
Warm Water Nudibranch: Photo is a nudibranch (commonly referred to as a “sea slug”) shot in a warm water, tropical location.
Diver: Photo depicts a scuba diver in action! Photo can be topside or underwater, in either cold or warm water destinations.
Diving Lifestyle: Divers are unique individuals with incredible experiences that can be captured as images that reflect a day in their life. Photo can depict any aspect of the lifestyle of a scuba diver. Photo can be topside or underwater, in either cold or warm water destinations.
The Digital Era: Photo has been significantly, digitally altered by software such as Adobe Photoshop, etc. Combine your artistic, creative, and computer talents to create a scene that will stimulate the viewer’s imagination. Photo can be topside or underwater, in either cold or warm water destinations. Please include a 4x6 print of the original photo along with your entry.
Novice: This category is for the diver who is new to photography and has never entered a photo in any contest previously. Photo may be of any underwater subject in either cold or warm water destinations.

Judging & Prizes:

Judging by public/popular vote of the visitors of Highline Community College’s Marine Science & Technology Center. Awards will be presented to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photographs in each division. “People’s Choice” will be selected by public vote. “Best of Show” and “Judges’ Choice” will be selected from all entries by our panel of judges. 1st place photographs in each category, “People’s Choice,” “Best of Show,” and “Judges’ Choice” will be auctioned off to the public at a future club meeting. The “People’s Choice,” “Best of Show,” and “Judges’ Choice” winners will receive a tile mural created by Nebel Development.

http://www.psdepthchargers.com

We are proud to announce that all entries will be on display for additional viewing on August 28th at the MaST!
Jenn
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Re: 7th Annual Photo Competition!

Entry deadline is now ONE MONTH away! Deadline to enter is Saturday, August 14th at 5:00 pm! Any questions, don't hesitate to ask: psdepthchargers@yahoo.com
Jenn
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

So I have to matt the picture and Have it glued to something ? I'm confused .. Can I mail the Picture ? And if so where ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

H20doctor wrote:So I have to matt the picture and Have it glued to something ? I'm confused .. Can I mail the Picture ? And if so where ..
Yes, framed & matted. Gosh, I think mailing an entry in would be kinda of pain in my opinion. But, if you really wanted to, you could mail it to Scuba SET Adventure Center, 11002 Valley Ave Suite 200, Puyallup, WA, 98372 along with an entry form which can be found here: http://psdepthchargers.com/Everything%2 ... tition.pdf
Jenn
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Less than 1 week until the entry deadline of Saturday, August 14th at 5 pm!
Jenn
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

OK, this is the last time I'll pester you....

Deadline is tomorrow! I will be at Scuba SET in Puyallup all day collecting entries. Hope to see some of you there with armfuls and armfuls. :partydance: :partydance: :partydance:
Jenn
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Wow! This year's show was really, really good with a lot of entries. I was asked to be a judge, along with Frank Poole, Jack Connick and Jeff Renner, (from KING TV 5), and we all had an absolute BLAST hanging out with the many divers and photogs that were there. The MaST center is an oustanding venue for an underwater photography show and competition, hands down!

I'd like to encourage NWDC members from all over to enter their pics in the competition next year, as I know that there have been quite a few shots just posted here on our board that could've been real winners! Next year, guys, find some way to do it! There's WAY too many really great photographers here on NWDC that deserve recognition, and contests like this one are great ways to do that!

The neat thing about Redondo is that I was able to meet Tom Nic in the AM for a nice long dive to the bottle field (Red Octo City!) and a visit to a nice-sized GPO beneath a boat, had a nice fish-n-chips lunch in the sun, and then judged an underwater photo contest in the PM....I ask you, how frickin' cool is that????

Special thanks to the Depth Chargers Dive Club for setting this all up each year!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

John/Jenn,

I'd love to see the winners. Did anyone take some snapshots of the displays?

Also, is there any consideration of setting an earlier deadline and allowing digital entries next year, rather than requiring framed and matted submissions? You'd probably get at least twice as many entries, and could use the extra revenue from those entry fees to frame the winners for display.
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i would have also entered this, but having to Mat and frame a picture was not in the funds .. it would be easier to just mat a Picture on plain paper stock, with out the frame .. Just a sugg for next year
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I have to agree with the others. The requirements make the "contest" to restrictive and expensive for the contributors. 1, not every photo works with the 8X10 format. Some newer cameras use a wide format and some pictures just look better cropped to a wide format. 2, matting and framing can be very costly and time consuming especially if you enter multiple photos. 3, these rules stifle artistic abilities like choosing the proper size, color and type of matting that works best with your composition.

My opinion is that if this is truly a "photo" contest then they should drop the framing idea and let the photos stand on their own. They should simply state a maximum size for entries and let the photographers enter the size that works within that maximum.

The other big issue, and I don't know if it applies here is ownership. The club should have the right to use, display, and publish just the winning photos and not all entries and the photographer should retain ownership.

That's my 2 psi
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

My issue was that it cost more to win than to lose.

Losers get their photo, frame and matte back ... winners don't.

Cost to enter a picture was $5. Cost to win was at least $25.

Seems to me that it shouldn't cost more to win ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

well then maybe we should put on our own photo contest, and get the dive shops to donate prizes...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

H20doctor wrote:well then maybe we should put on our own photo contest, and get the dive shops to donate prizes...
Were there prizes? When I entered the contest two years ago, all I got was a certificate saying "First Place".

Not trying to be critical ... it just seemed strange at the time that it cost more to win than lose.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

well the dive shops would get advertising and we could see alot more of the local photgs in the area, Plus there could also be a gathering of them all to talk and discus photo tricks and tips ... a local Hall , or dive shop could rent the space .. etc..etc.. Just some thoughts
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Grateful Diver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:well then maybe we should put on our own photo contest, and get the dive shops to donate prizes...
Were there prizes? When I entered the contest two years ago, all I got was a certificate saying "First Place".

Not trying to be critical ... it just seemed strange at the time that it cost more to win than lose.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sometimes you just get to be the winner, Bob. It is and always has been an amateur contest run by a small local dive club that has extended the invitation to any and all who wanted to particpate every year. We've always made it very clear what the prizes would be...and yes, they are minimal at best. We can't offer liveaboard trips. We can't cough up brand-name camera rigs. Our awards are homemade, and our prizes are inexpensive.

BUT, correct me if I'm wrong, your winning photograph ended up on the cover of Northwest Dive News...thanks to the contest. Was that nothing??? I'm sorry that you feel that wasn't worth the $25 that you spent on participating. If it's that big of a deal, the club would be happy to refund your money. However, we may not have the funds until after our October club meeting when we auction off the 1st place, Best of Show, Judges' Choice, and People's Choice photos. That auction is traditionally how we pay for this event since we donated 100% of our entry fees ($670!!!!!!!!!!!!) to the MaST this year. We still haven't figured out how we are going to pay for the 39 glass vases that one of our club members etched painstakingly BY HAND so that each winner would have something nice to take home....rather than just a certificate. We still haven't figured out how we are going to pay for the 3 tile prints we are going to purchase as prizes for the Best of Show, Judges' Choice, and "People's Choice". And, the money we spent on printing ballots, balloons, banners, etc, will just be a wash. The point is that we are not making a profit. Every year, we lose money on putting this event on and a lot of people volunteer countless hours painting display panels, hanging photographs, etc, etc, etc, etc. But, it's worth it to us. The public gets a glimpse into the underwater world that is so familar to us. People smile. People laugh. People have fun. And, it means a lot to a lot of people......

Let me tell you a story about what makes dealing with all of this crap worth it. Last year, a 80+ year old diver from Alaska was visiting the contest with his daughter. He has not been able to dive for about 15 years, and he misses it terribly. He spent several hours viewing the photos. He would study each one carefully. He would get excited when he would see something he recognized like an orange peel nudibranch. Each photo of a familiar critter would spark a memory of a dive for him. He would tell his daughter the stories as they browsed the gallery. She too is a diver, but because of their age difference, she has only been able to dive with him a few times. Through the contest, they got to share something meaningful together. As they were leaving, I saw there was a tear in his eye. He tried to wipe it away before anybody saw it. Later, his daughter told me how much attending the contest meant to him. How he got to relive some of his best experiences of his life by looking at a single photograph of a giant pacfic octopus or a wolfeel. To me, that's worth a $5 entry fee, a cheap $3 frame, and an even cheaper $2 mat.

It's also worth it if we turn just one more person onto diving. It's worth it if we educate just one more person from throwing a plastic bottle off the dock at Redondo. It's worth it if we make even just one person feel good about themselves because the public voted for their photo.

For those of you who want to change our little "county fair" type, old fashioned print photo contest into something easier, cheaper, digital with big fat prizes that is only for the diving community audience...well, this contest isn't for you. I'm sorry. However, I will continue to extend the invitation to NWDC member each year to participate, and it'll be worth it if just one new person chooses to do so.

For those of you who choose to criticise something that you have never seen, I extend the invitation to you to view the photos in the gallery at MaST this Saturday 8/28 from 10 AM to 1:30 PM. See the winning photographs. See all of the entries. See the whole dang shabang, and see if your opinion changes. And, please make sure you introduce yourselves...I'll be there all day.

I respectfully ask the moderators to split this topic if everyone chooses to continue planning their own photo contest by bashing this one. Thank you.
Jenn
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

John Rawlings wrote:Wow! This year's show was really, really good with a lot of entries. I was asked to be a judge, along with Frank Poole, Jack Connick and Jeff Renner, (from KING TV 5), and we all had an absolute BLAST hanging out with the many divers and photogs that were there. The MaST center is an oustanding venue for an underwater photography show and competition, hands down!

I'd like to encourage NWDC members from all over to enter their pics in the competition next year, as I know that there have been quite a few shots just posted here on our board that could've been real winners! Next year, guys, find some way to do it! There's WAY too many really great photographers here on NWDC that deserve recognition, and contests like this one are great ways to do that!

The neat thing about Redondo is that I was able to meet Tom Nic in the AM for a nice long dive to the bottle field (Red Octo City!) and a visit to a nice-sized GPO beneath a boat, had a nice fish-n-chips lunch in the sun, and then judged an underwater photo contest in the PM....I ask you, how frickin' cool is that????

Special thanks to the Depth Chargers Dive Club for setting this all up each year!

- John
John--THANK YOU for being a judge for our contest!!! We really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to spend the afternoon with us. And, I'm so glad to hear that you had so much fun making the day out of it!!

And, in case you missed it during the 5 PM newscast, Jeff Renner will be airing the Best of Show photograph again on the 10 PM newscast on KONG. It looked pretty darn amazing on a flat screen HD TV!!! He also made a few comments about the show, and it sounded like he had a great time too!
Jenn
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

SeattleYates wrote:John/Jenn,

Also, is there any consideration of setting an earlier deadline and allowing digital entries next year, rather than requiring framed and matted submissions? You'd probably get at least twice as many entries, and could use the extra revenue from those entry fees to frame the winners for display.
Hello SeattleYates,

All of the photographs will be on display again this coming Saturday 8/28 at the MaST Center from 10 AM to 1:30 PM. C'mon down and check them out!!!

Next year, we will be going back to an entry deadline of 2 weeks prior to the contest. Sorry, we will continue to do print entries rather than digital. I know it's a bit old fashioned, but our contest is just as much about educating the public as it is a competition for the photographers. There's something pretty cool about browsing a gallery of 134 framed photographs...... Come down and check it out! If you do, please introduce yourself. I'll be there all day!
Jenn
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

enchantmentdivi wrote:I respectfully ask the moderators to split this topic if everyone chooses to continue planning their own photo contest by bashing this one. Thank you.
Hey Jenn - not everyone here thinks negatively about this contest. I like it and think it is great that your club goes to all the trouble to offer the public a glimpse into a world most of them never experience first-hand. I participated last year and it was fun (nope....didn't win a thing).

Oh....and if I recall correctly, to print, frame and mat my entry cost less than $15, entry fee included. For me, it didn't really matter that my potential "winnings" would be less than my expense to enter. I was just excited to share a cool shot of a jellyfish with the general public. But then again, I am not a competitive amateur UW photographer (nor do I play one on TV).

Cheers!
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

enchantmentdivi wrote:
SeattleYates wrote:John/Jenn,

Hello SeattleYates,

All of the photographs will be on display again this coming Saturday 8/28 at the MaST Center from 10 AM to 1:30 PM. C'mon down and check them out!!!

Next year, we will be going back to an entry deadline of 2 weeks prior to the contest. Sorry, we will continue to do print entries rather than digital. I know it's a bit old fashioned, but our contest is just as much about educating the public as it is a competition for the photographers. There's something pretty cool about browsing a gallery of 134 framed photographs...... Come down and check it out! If you do, please introduce yourself. I'll be there all day!
Jenn,

I'll try to get down to see the exhibit! And I wasn't bashing the contest - just thinking that if you expanded it to include digital entries, it would dramatically increase the number of entries (and therefore entry fees). But I totally understand your reasoning, and the fact that a room full of framed prints provides visitors with an experience they wouldn't get from only seeing a few dozen winners. I respect what you're doing, and applaud all the hard work that goes into it. I just joined NWDC less than two weeks ago, so this is the first time I've heard of the contest - I'll try to submit some entries next year!

BTW, I'd consider raising the entry fee to $10 instead of $5. If someone is going to the trouble of framing a print and bringing it down, they're certainly not going to balk at a $10 entry fee IMHO. :)
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

enchantmentdivi, thank you for your post.

I take terrible pictures, but I would consider entering one in your contest next year, just to support your effort to publicize diving to those who don't. I can afford the cost to print, mat and frame a photo, and I'd be happy to donate that to an effort to share the wonders of the Sound with the landbound.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

For those of you who want to change our little "county fair" type, old fashioned print photo contest into something easier, cheaper, digital with big fat prizes that is only for the diving community audience...well, this contest isn't for you.

not trying to change a thing , just trying to make things easier for us , who dont have the time or money to frame pictures.. More people = More money for overhead costs.. we are in the digital age now.. dont understand why you got so angry ? it looks like a great event , every year , local celebs , and good press coverage on the news..
Good Job
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Jenn ... I'm sorry you took my comments as a bash. They were not intended to be. They're nothing more than observations about the contest from the perspective of someone who has participated in the past.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Elizabeth
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Elizabeth »

There's been some interesting dialog about this small dive club photo contest. Not sure if you've never tried to set something like this up that you can point out flaws or unrealistic expecations for a different avenue. Re digital - how could you do a digital contest where four hours of public voters coming in and out could effectively look at all the photos and post a vote? How could you number and name them all? How would the public know what category they were all in? Details that are often overlooked when suggestions are thrown out. Having an actual printed photo, matted and framed, hanging on a wall gives the public the time to look at the photos with the time they desire. They can see close up the details of the photo and come back and look at it again and again. For non divers this is a great experience! The exclamations you hear and the questions you get from the public are very rewarding. They are interested and excited about what they are seeing - and often in awe! This is what makes this particluar photo contest worth every minute setting it up. Even for divers it's a great experience. You see underwater life in areas that you may not have been. I personally saw probably 5 - 6 photos of things I didn't even know existed and others of things that I hardly ever get to see. The photos motivate me to keep diving and keep taking my camera out! Seeing composition and lighting techniques are inspiring and educational for a new photographer as well. It was also great to get a brief chance to speak to John Rawlings about what his criteria is when he judges the photos! The whole contest was a great experience and I can't wait to enter more next year!!

I entered a few photos this year and each photo to matt and frame cost me $4.10. I understand it's a tough economy and funds are tight - but I sacrificed a few mochas and I was in! And do I feel like I paid to have my photo taken away because I was awarded a first place in one category? Absolutely not! I am flattered that the dive club will auction it off and someone will actually PAY to get my photo! That is very cool. And as for my "prizes" - this dive club has heart and creativity on its side. To have a hand etched award is worth alot more than some gift card. You can tell this dive club cares about its club and members and more importantly, they care about getting the word out to the general public about diving! I'm happy to pay for my photo entries to support the club!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Elizabeth wrote:There's been some interesting dialog about this small dive club photo contest. Not sure if you've never tried to set something like this up that you can point out flaws or unrealistic expecations for a different avenue. Re digital - how could you do a digital contest where four hours of public voters coming in and out could effectively look at all the photos and post a vote? How could you number and name them all? How would the public know what category they were all in? Details that are often overlooked when suggestions are thrown out. Having an actual printed photo, matted and framed, hanging on a wall gives the public the time to look at the photos with the time they desire. They can see close up the details of the photo and come back and look at it again and again. For non divers this is a great experience! The exclamations you hear and the questions you get from the public are very rewarding. They are interested and excited about what they are seeing - and often in awe! This is what makes this particluar photo contest worth every minute setting it up. Even for divers it's a great experience. You see underwater life in areas that you may not have been. I personally saw probably 5 - 6 photos of things I didn't even know existed and others of things that I hardly ever get to see. The photos motivate me to keep diving and keep taking my camera out! Seeing composition and lighting techniques are inspiring and educational for a new photographer as well. It was also great to get a brief chance to speak to John Rawlings about what his criteria is when he judges the photos! The whole contest was a great experience and I can't wait to enter more next year!!

I entered a few photos this year and each photo to matt and frame cost me $4.10. I understand it's a tough economy and funds are tight - but I sacrificed a few mochas and I was in! And do I feel like I paid to have my photo taken away because I was awarded a first place in one category? Absolutely not! I am flattered that the dive club will auction it off and someone will actually PAY to get my photo! That is very cool. And as for my "prizes" - this dive club has heart and creativity on its side. To have a hand etched award is worth alot more than some gift card. You can tell this dive club cares about its club and members and more importantly, they care about getting the word out to the general public about diving! I'm happy to pay for my photo entries to support the club!
An introduction in the "New User" section would have been nice............
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

This was a nice photo contest that a ton of the public got to see, was a great ambassador for sea life and for diving, and one on which the dive club actually lost money. I'm glad I got to stop by...

I don't think the intention of the few who made suggestions was to "bash", but I can sure see how it felt that way. I think they were just sharing their opinions and about photo contest, but it did seem a little like monday morning quarterbacking, and - sorry guys - just a little bit whiney. I can go there myself, so I'M not "bashing" those who were expressing opinions giving advice, but I can sure see how it would be a bit deflating for those who worked hard to organize this to have their Photo Contest thread largely dominated by discussion of particulars in a less than flattering light.

Thanks Jenn for being a part of putting this on, and thanks guys for sharing your opinions.

Here's wishing you all well...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman