Fabulous Bonaire Macro

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Fabulous Bonaire Macro

Post by Tom Nic »

I don't post much in this forum, and I usually don't post outside links, but this thread on Bonaire Talk has some of the most amazing macro shots I've ever seen.

Keep scrolling down, they get better and better. Lots to load, but worth the wait.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Fabulous Bonaire Macro

Post by Tangfish »

Wow, those are some AMAZING shots indeed, Tom. Thanks for posting the links.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Wow! Fantastic photos!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Thank you for the link, Tom! And for anybody looking at the thread, scroll down past each set of comments -- there are lots more pictures, and the ones at the very end are some of the best.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Those are some pretty amazing images. My only somewhat negative impression is that the excessive use of Photoshop gives them more the quality of paintings than pictures. Perhaps that is the photographer's intent, and frankly I think for some it is a pleasing effect. For most, it's distracting in somewhat the same way as would be a pretty woman wearing too much makeup.

I guess it's a matter of taste ... but I think the majority of those images would be more visually spectacular with less digital enhancement ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Thanks Tom. The macro shots are very nice indeed, but the needlefish reflection shots and the wide angle turtle and ray shots are what really stand out to me. Wow - what it must've been like to actually experience those scenes as they were unfolding.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

whatevah wrote: Wow - what it must've been like to actually experience those scenes as they were unfolding.
Yup - that's Bonaire! Been there 4 times , done over 120 dives there, and as a photographer and critter lover it simply never gets old. There is so much territory to cover, and you can dive so much that just when the reef starts looking a little familiar something completely unexpected comes up to blow your mind.
Grateful Diver wrote: For most, it's distracting in somewhat the same way as would be a pretty woman wearing too much makeup.
Bob - I had a similar thought to yours at first. But then, you can only put so much lipstick on a, ahem... pig. These aren't "pigs"! :-) I was captured by the detail and clarity of the images - you simply cannot photoshop the detail in those shots. Having done lots of dives in Bonaire I was discovering critters I've never seen, as well as discovering familiar ones in ways I've never seen them.

Simply delightful... and glad that others enjoyed them as well!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

amazing photos. thanks for posting the link, tom.
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Thanks for the link, Tom. BT is someplace I haven't been for a long time, but it was worth it today. Those were amazing photos.

As an aside, though.....in my status as a total newb in the world of underwater photography, I am always confused as to how much of any given photo is raw material vs. Photoshop enhancement. It gets a little discouraging sometimes to see all sorts of fabulous UW shots and then look at what I end up with after a dive. Hard to figure out where to start to improve my shots.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

lizard0924 wrote:As an aside, though.....in my status as a total newb in the world of underwater photography, I am always confused as to how much of any given photo is raw material vs. Photoshop enhancement. It gets a little discouraging sometimes to see all sorts of fabulous UW shots and then look at what I end up with after a dive. Hard to figure out where to start to improve my shots.
It's hard to comment specifically without seeing what you are shooting and how your shots are turning out.

Enhancement can improve the look of a picture, but it cannot take a crappy shot and make it amazing - at least not the way I use it.

Typically I adjust contrast or brightness, and occasionally do a bit with the levels - that is all. There are others more skilled with the software that can do a lot more - I am not one of those.

But basically you need a decent image to start with if photoshop is going to do much. You can't bring a picture in focus that is out of focus, for instance. If exposure is really wrong you can only help things to a point...

Next time you do a dive with someone who you think takes better pics than you talk to them about what they shoot and how and what they do with their pics after a dive. I still only use a point and shoot with internal flash and no strobe. It limits my range of shooting, but I don't have a choice in the matter at the moment.

There are lots of good photogs on this board, and you'll find some of them able to spend more money on equipment. That is a good thing - but I maintain that a $3,000 camera rig will not make you a $3,000 photographer. Skill must be developed. Some of the best photogs I've seen max out their skill with the equipment they are using then upgrade equipment and and their skill together. The best route depends on your budget and your personality.

Keep shooting! The more the better. You'll learn what makes for a good shot more and more, and find yourself adjusting your angles, getting closer, passing up shots because you know they won't turn out, etc etc.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Jaw dropping photos!!!! Thanks for posting, those are just amazing!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

Although I had the same thought as Bob - too much post-processing - there are a heck of a lot of stunning images there, and it is obvious that the original shots (pre-Photoshop) really were exceptional. You gotta give credit where credit is due...and there's a lot of credit due for dozens of those shots!
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields