Big Screen Underwater Camera

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

We do a crapload of underwater video at my job. We have a bunch of canon point and shoots that take really great HD video. No one I work with is able to keep them still enough for usable video. There's also a canon HD video camera and a massive ikelite housing. None of these devices have a screen that is very easy to see.

What I'm looking for is a camera and/or housing that does still and HD video, has a very large viewing screen, big handles for steadying, uses flash memory not tapes to store footage, doesn't need a PhD to operate, and capable of big wide angle shots.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Price is rarely an issue.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Big Screen Underwater Camera

Post by mz53480 »

imax has a nice setup.....
1.jpg
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

A gates housing with one of their external monitors might work, though it's probably going to be a $10,000 rig at the end of the day

http://www.gateshousings.com/monitors/e ... l-monitor/
in_minsk_we_trust
Avid Diver

Post by in_minsk_we_trust »

Depends on what you're gonna use it for. If you guys have the money go for a gates. When all is said and done it'll be a lot more than $10,000 for a new one though. The EX1R would be a good choice. Brand new with camera, extra little things, monitor, lights, wide angle lens is gonna be around $20,000. You can find used bits to lower the cost. Out on the Islands you can probably skip the lights, but again, depends on what you want to do with it.

A bit smaller is the Light and Motion *Bluefin Pro* housings for something like the CX550. They come with big OLED screens on the back hatch that are really nice and easy to see. Great housing. New with camera, OLED screen, wide angle lens you're looking at $8,000-ish. Maybe less.

Those are definitely the two best options for medium and large sizing with big monitors and sturdiness.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Eric, how large is a "very large" screen to you?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

mount the little cameras on a scooter body. the weight of the scooter will settle them right down ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Put an iPad in a gallon zip-lock. I know. I'm so helpful. That's why you like me. :tomnic:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Attachments
monitors_a1.jpg
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

spatman wrote:Eric, how large is a "very large" screen to you?

Bigger and brighter than a powershot LCD screen I suppose.

I guess what I really want is a still camera that takes video and not the other way around. The light and motion housings are the highest on my list for video housings. Nice big screen and easy controls. There are too many choices of gates and I don't care enough about this to do the research on the cameras... I'm not doing production video so to me a camera is a camera. Does it take stills? Does it do HD video? I will probably buy the cheapest camera that fits into whatever housing I choose.

Oh and Ben. Shaddup. :luv:

Aloha hard bitches,

-Eric

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sockmonkey wrote:Oh and Ben. Shaddup. :luv:

Aloha hard bitches,

-Eric
Don't forget to rub some more aloe on your dome before bed. :angelblue:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

airsix wrote:
Don't forget to rub some more aloe on your dome before bed. :angelblue:
That sounds like a frightening euphemism.

FYI: I managed to survive warm water diving with Spatman again. I live to tell tales of his general strokery.

-Eric