The biggest Lumpie Ever

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

The biggest Lumpie Ever

Post by gutholmj »

I've been printing quite a bit lately using Costco and getting good results on prints up to 12x18. Compared to the old film days, enlargements are really cheap so it's easy to get carried away. Despite my diminutive 6 MPix d100, I decided to have a go at a 20x30 print. The result is astonishingly good and the image looks very sharp from 5' away. The photo I tried is not in and of it self the greatest but I figured a Lumpie with an eye as big as my fist would at least be fun.

My biggest challenge up til now has been getting a good color match on the prints. I finally found out that the color profiles for the Costco printers (detailed by store) are available online. I did a couple tests with some 8x12 images yesterday and they were pretty much spot on with the print proofs in Aperture.

Here's my giant Lumpie.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: The biggest Lumpie Ever

Post by LCF »

Thank you for that information. Do you have a URL for the color information for Costco?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

LCF wrote:Thank you for that information. Do you have a URL for the color information for Costco?
Here's the info at Dry Creek Photo for all the Costco locations in WA.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Awesome!

If you are getting good results with Costco, you will get outstanding results with http://www.mpix.com. Their prints are slightly more expensive, and you have to pay shipping costs (usually a flat $5). But, if you order multiple prints at a time, the shipping cost is really no big deal. They usually ship prints the same day you order or the next day.

I highly recommend their "metallic" paper for underwater prints. It will make colors just pop! I also have found that I choose not to have them color correct (there is a box to check at check out), and the colors seem more true.

If you really want to splurge, try one of their canvas prints. It will turn your photo into a work of art!

If you "like"them on Facebook, they are always posting specials like 50% off metallic prints, etc. at least once a month on their page.
Jenn
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Great photo! bet you get lots of comments on that one when you hang it on your wall! It's amazing what these labs can do now days. I can remember when the pros said digital will never replace film. :rofl:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Who's the guy in the suit holding your pic?
I guess someone had to take the picture of the picture......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

cardiver wrote:Who's the guy in the suit holding your pic?
I figured an ugly model would make the pic look better. Kind of like girls who prefer "less attractive" friends.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Oh my that is stunning. Wow!

It's becoming more and more certain that I'll be getting a twilight and/or night dive in at Redondo on Friday. My buddy and I are very familiar with the site, but would love to dive with someone who is an accomplished lumpy finder at that site, just to improve our chances. I'll buy the beers for the buddy that shows me one. :) Any takers? Bob? Anyone?
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

gutholmj wrote:
cardiver wrote:Who's the guy in the suit holding your pic?
I figured an ugly model would make the pic look better. Kind of like girls who prefer "less attractive" friends.
:rofl:

Awesome picture!!!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

gutholmj wrote:....Here's my giant Lumpie....
:popcorn:

Oh, and that's a nice picture.
....of the fish.
no, not that one. the other one. yes, that one.
wait....
yeah, that one.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

enchantmentdivi wrote:Awesome!

If you are getting good results with Costco, you will get outstanding results with http://www.mpix.com. Their prints are slightly more expensive, and you have to pay shipping costs (usually a flat $5). But, if you order multiple prints at a time, the shipping cost is really no big deal. They usually ship prints the same day you order or the next day.

I highly recommend their "metallic" paper for underwater prints. It will make colors just pop! I also have found that I choose not to have them color correct (there is a box to check at check out), and the colors seem more true.

If you really want to splurge, try one of their canvas prints. It will turn your photo into a work of art!

If you "like"them on Facebook, they are always posting specials like 50% off metallic prints, etc. at least once a month on their page.
I'll have to try a couple of the prints on metallic paper for something really nice. They sure are pricey in comparison but if I have something worth framing, it's probably worth it. The nice thing with Costco is that the 8x12 images are only a dollar fifty so I can cover my office in them and don't feel guilty hanging them with push-pins.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Check out Clipframes for a sharp and attractive framing option that is really cheap. Under $10 per frame if you buy online. I prefer to print at 11x14 and put them in a glass clipframe that is 100% of the size of the print. These frames are basically a sheet of glass, solid backing, and 4 metal clips that hold it together along each edge.

No cheesy pushpins, and it's easy to swap out pictures when you get tired of them.

http://www.pfile.com/product/j-cf-11/11 ... ure-Frames

I do my own printing with an Epson 1800 that prints up to 13x19. Probably more expensive than costco, but I can make prints on demand that are just as high quality. I have used Costco before, and looking side by side I can't tell the difference between the two.
Dave
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

dlh wrote:Check out Clipframes for a sharp and attractive framing option that is really cheap. Under $10 per frame if you buy online. I prefer to print at 11x14 and put them in a glass clipframe that is 100% of the size of the print. These frames are basically a sheet of glass, solid backing, and 4 metal clips that hold it together along each edge.

No cheesy pushpins, and it's easy to swap out pictures when you get tired of them.

http://www.pfile.com/product/j-cf-11/11 ... ure-Frames

I do my own printing with an Epson 1800 that prints up to 13x19. Probably more expensive than costco, but I can make prints on demand that are just as high quality. I have used Costco before, and looking side by side I can't tell the difference between the two.
Thanks for the link. That's a pretty good price. I have a few of those clip frames on the photos in the background & I like them. Now I just need to save some pennies so I can afford to frame the 30+ photos I have hanging. :)
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

enchantmentdivi wrote:Awesome!

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for the mpix.com tip- absolutely love the metallic pics they made for me! :supz:
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Greg Jensen wrote:Just wanted to say THANK YOU for the mpix.com tip- absolutely love the metallic pics they made for me! :supz:
YAY! Glad you like them! You'll feel like you're slumming if you print at Costco now....
Jenn