Non-Strobe lighting for low-light conditions

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
lizard0924
Submariner

Non-Strobe lighting for low-light conditions

Post by lizard0924 »

We are experimenting with underwater photography during ultraviolet night diving. For anyone not familiar with this, it involves no camera flash and illumination only by handheld flashlights fitted with special yellow lenses.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a diffuser that might fit over the flashlight?

Right now, we're getting very concentrated light in some spots of the photo (obviously where the center of the flashlight beam is positioned), but what we want is equal light over the entire object. So I was thinking diffuser. Or maybe there is some other option? Change the light position, maybe?

I am in no way the photographer. Just the "light holder" and general assistant. I don't even really do UW photography at all (still hoping my new housing finds its way down here sometime soon). :)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Non-Strobe lighting for low-light conditions

Post by ljjames »

try a SOLA light from Light & Motion... they do both narrow beam for diving and wide angle for video/photography.

for your current lights i've seen some very creative things done with ...kind of translucent plastic bottles... (I'll see if i can get a screen grab for you) I've used folgers coffee can lids (kind of bungie them on) and also cut up a thin flexible cutting mat (cutting board) into appropriate shape and punched holes in the edges and shock corded it to light head.

basically find something (as thin white sock or tights material might even work) that will diffuse the light ;)

with all these options be very careful not to turn light on out of the water.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
lizard0924
Submariner

Re: Non-Strobe lighting for low-light conditions

Post by lizard0924 »

Thanks, Laura. I will experiment with some of your suggestions. If any of the photos actually turn out, I'll post them here.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman