New Canon Powershot G1 X

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

New Canon Powershot G1 X

Post by DiverBob »

Canon just released the PowerShot G1 X as well as 2 Elph cameras. The intriguing part is the large 1.5" sensor, just 20% smaller than most Canon DSLR's. It's very expensive and pudgy, but I'm sure there will be many after market housing's available in the future. I sure wouldn't use the Canon housing. Should be interesting to see the reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canong1x/
Life is good, let's dive!!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: New Canon Powershot G1 X

Post by Dusty2 »

Drool!!!!!! :luv:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

DiverBob wrote:Canon just released the PowerShot G1 X as well as 2 Elph cameras. The intriguing part is the large 1.5" sensor, just 20% smaller than most Canon DSLR's. It's very expensive and pudgy, but I'm sure there will be many after market housing's available in the future. I sure wouldn't use the Canon housing. Should be interesting to see the reviews.

Not sure why they built a 4/3 camera with a fixed lens. Canon must not want to cut in to their own DSLR business....
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

cardiver wrote:
DiverBob wrote:Canon just released the PowerShot G1 X as well as 2 Elph cameras. The intriguing part is the large 1.5" sensor, just 20% smaller than most Canon DSLR's. It's very expensive and pudgy, but I'm sure there will be many after market housing's available in the future. I sure wouldn't use the Canon housing. Should be interesting to see the reviews.

Not sure why they built a 4/3 camera with a fixed lens. Canon must not want to cut in to their own DSLR business....
Picky picky! and it's bigger than 4/3 :neener:
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Both Canon and Nikon are protecting their current DSLR products from the so-called 'mirrorless SLR' concept that is in vogue right now. Nikon introduced a camera that has interchangeable lenses but a smallish sensor. Canon has now released a larger sensor camera but without the ability to change lenses. Both are attempts at just muddying the water. I'm looking for a true 'mirror-less SLR' that's has a sensor as large as an APS-C format (if not larger!).
Dan Hershman :smt024
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

dphershman wrote:Both Canon and Nikon are protecting their current DSLR products from the so-called 'mirrorless SLR' concept that is in vogue right now. Nikon introduced a camera that has interchangeable lenses but a smallish sensor. Canon has now released a larger sensor camera but without the ability to change lenses. Both are attempts at just muddying the water. I'm looking for a true 'mirror-less SLR' that's has a sensor as large as an APS-C format (if not larger!).
Some people just want it all! :smt064
I'll just have to muddle along with my old G-10 :queenliz:
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

dphershman wrote:Both Canon and Nikon are protecting their current DSLR products from the so-called 'mirrorless SLR' concept that is in vogue right now. Nikon introduced a camera that has interchangeable lenses but a smallish sensor. Canon has now released a larger sensor camera but without the ability to change lenses. Both are attempts at just muddying the water. I'm looking for a true 'mirror-less SLR' that's has a sensor as large as an APS-C format (if not larger!).
I would like to see the Sony Nex7. As more lenses become available it might come close to an SLR.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

blackwater wrote:
I would like to see the Sony Nex7. As more lenses become available it might come close to an SLR.
Yes the Nex7 looks like a wonderful camera and would be an attractive alternative to a full blown SLR, provided that anyone made an underwater housing for it. We'll see if this camera can drive some of the market away from cheaper SLRs made by Canon and Nikon. Not surprising that Sony would make a move like this, given that they don't really have that much invested in their SLR product line.

My dream UW camera would be a Nikon mirror-less SLR (with an APS-C size sensor) that would allow me to use my current DSLR lenses.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Dusty2 wrote:
Some people just want it all! :smt064
I'll just have to muddle along with my old G-10 :queenliz:
Larger the sensor, the less depth of field you'll have for your macro nudie shots. You truly can't have it all.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Larger the sensor, the less depth of field you'll have for your macro nudie shots. You truly can't have it all.
True, but the larger the sensor the smaller the aperture you can use to compensate for the decrease in depth of field. Small point and shoot cameras typically only go down to f8 because their small photosensor size produces diffraction limitations at an aperture smaller than that. Larger photosensors have somewhat higher diffraction limits, thereby allowing for smaller apertures, making up somewhat for the decreased depth of field. Remember Ansel Adams' photo group called f64? They used those tiny apertures on really big 8x10 view cameras.

For more info on diffraction limits see this article http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... graphy.htm

The APS-C size sensor found in most DSLRs is a pretty good compromise of Photosensor size and image quality. It would be great if one could obtain an APS-C camera sensor in a body that didn't have all the reflex mirror complexity in modern SLRs. The advantage would be less image noise and potentially higher pixel counts than what is currently available in point and shoot style cameras. There's a few being made out there, but Nikon and Canon aren't going to do that anytime soon as they don't want to compete with their own SLRs.

Speaking of which, Nikon announced the new D800 SLR yesterday. 36 megapixels!!