To GoPro or not GoPro.... that is the question

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
dphershman
Aquanaut

To GoPro or not GoPro.... that is the question

Post by dphershman »

Last edited by dphershman on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Hershman :smt024
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: To GoPro or not GoPro.... that is the question

Post by defied »

Looks like you haven't installed a modified lens on it. Check out the blurfix by Snake River Prototypes.

D
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Here's some video I shot with a Hero2 and the above BlurFix lens:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17396
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

you already spent at least $250 on the unit itself.. you can either leave it in a drawer or have a $300 "barbie" camera that shoots "HD" video.

IMHO, it's better than it sitting in a drawer. I like mine and the housing (havent dove with new housing yet) only cost me $49.99.

just my .02
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Get the lens fix.. Or sell it to me defied got my gopro..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Just buy the cheap plastic flat lens and if you are truly impressed with it, buy a better housing. But that cheap plastic lens will satisfy you, just keep it in 1080.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

H20doctor wrote:Get the lens fix.. Or sell it to me defied got my gopro..
Wah! 0] She's my friend fer cryin' out loud! 0]
Dashrynn wrote:Just buy the cheap plastic flat lens and if you are truly impressed with it, buy a better housing. But that cheap plastic lens will satisfy you, just keep it in 1080.
The BlurFix uses a 55mm glass lens. It's pretty nice, and easy to replace if you bust it. It just screws off.

D
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

defied wrote:
H20doctor wrote:Get the lens fix.. Or sell it to me defied got my gopro..
Wah! 0] She's my friend fer cryin' out loud! 0]
Dashrynn wrote:Just buy the cheap plastic flat lens and if you are truly impressed with it, buy a better housing. But that cheap plastic lens will satisfy you, just keep it in 1080.
The BlurFix uses a 55mm glass lens. It's pretty nice, and easy to replace if you bust it. It just screws off.

D
I know she is yr friend.. And you got the friend deal.. But I can still harrass you about it untill I buy one at full retail !!!!
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I got a Gopro last week. Been thinking about one for a while and got a "pro deal" on one so it made the choice easy.

Durring snowboarding on Saturday it preformed amazingly. I do need to play with settings and see what works best.

Sunday we "dove" in the local 5' deep indoor pool to practice with our new gear. Of course brought the Gopro and will admit I am less then impressed. I did know of the problems though so that is not an issue. I just (10 min ago) ordered a Blur Fix and think it will be worthwhile from what I have seen. The one I am going to have a problem with is spending $75 on a filter. I have seen the videos but what are everyones thoughts on them? Worth it or not?

While I have not taken many still pics I am having trouble getting ones that are focused well. I am hoping to be able to pull decent stills off the video but have not had a chance to try.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

this was shot with a go pro... on my xscooter in florida

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3opgXqLb ... ature=plcp[/youtube]
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Nwcid wrote:I got a Gopro last week. Been thinking about one for a while and got a "pro deal" on one so it made the choice easy.

Durring snowboarding on Saturday it preformed amazingly. I do need to play with settings and see what works best.

Sunday we "dove" in the local 5' deep indoor pool to practice with our new gear. Of course brought the Gopro and will admit I am less then impressed. I did know of the problems though so that is not an issue. I just (10 min ago) ordered a Blur Fix and think it will be worthwhile from what I have seen. The one I am going to have a problem with is spending $75 on a filter. I have seen the videos but what are everyones thoughts on them? Worth it or not?

While I have not taken many still pics I am having trouble getting ones that are focused well. I am hoping to be able to pull decent stills off the video but have not had a chance to try.
Stick with the stock filter, and correct your colors in post.
Also, I keep forgetting to do this, but I think turning off auto white balance will make post editing life easier.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Can someone post a list of the necessary go pro (or other brand POV) camera bits (ports housings etc) and sources?

I already have a POV cam on my scooter but thinking of putting one on my caving helmet.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

The camera comes with the housing. The LCD backpack (or any backpack for that matter) will come with door extensions to the housing.

For the lens fix, go look at the blurfix lens.
http://www.aquaprohd.com/store#ecwid:ca ... ct=6592588

You have to install it yourself, but don't overthink it. It's super easy.

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote:The camera comes with the housing. The LCD backpack (or any backpack for that matter) will come with door extensions to the housing.

D
Are any of the flat ports rated deeper than 130ft? (at least to 180ft like the stock housing)

Know of any aftermarket housings rated deeper than 180?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

CaptnJack wrote:
defied wrote:The camera comes with the housing. The LCD backpack (or any backpack for that matter) will come with door extensions to the housing.

D
Are any of the flat ports rated deeper than 130ft? (at least to 180ft like the stock housing)

I'm pretty sure that is a "guessed" rating. Affordability wise, I think you might not find anything that will guarantee it too far beyond.

The good thing about the blurfix lens is that if it floods, you do not flood the housing. The original housing lens is still installed. The housing is still rated for it's depth.

The blurflix is also a glass lens which means it won't warp, the deeper you go.

D
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:

D

http://freedivingspearfishinggear.com/6 ... gopro.html (180ft rated) I use this one and have scratches on the lens but you won't notice.

http://www.golemgear.com/p-636-golem-go ... -back.aspx they also have the standard version.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Oh and they have glass too. I typically shoot in 1080 so the vignetting doesn't bother me for the other modes.

http://freedivingspearfishinggear.com/1 ... gopro.html
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Thanks for the Golem link, I recall seeing that 500ft version posted somewhere a few weeks back now.

Although the original hero is rated to 60m seems a bit aggressive to push that. Is the new hero2 all that better in low light?
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:Thanks for the Golem link, I recall seeing that 500ft version posted somewhere a few weeks back now.

Although the original hero is rated to 60m seems a bit aggressive to push that. Is the new hero2 all that better in low light?
Here's some videos though I don't have personal experience with the hd2, maybe someone can comment. Though it does look brighter in videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ilEQox76-k

"The color balance between the two models is also notably distinct, with the HD Hero 2 reproducing much more authentic tones compared to the Original's slightly brasher levels. Performance under lower-light levels also seemed to have enjoyed a marked improvement."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/24/gopr ... -2-review/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Thanks for that.
Sigh
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

CaptnJack wrote:Thanks for the Golem link, I recall seeing that 500ft version posted somewhere a few weeks back now.

Not a dive video, but a low-light trial run from another forum...

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gene ... ost1812725

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I have an HD2, and I do like it. The problem is when you get in to the twilight zone. You've got to have a lot of light to keep it crisp, otherwise it has this weird affect to it, which I don't think it necessarily bad, but black is not black.

The golem gear one is cool, and the housing is costy, but affordable to the depth you are going to. I wonder if they have a back attachment for the LCD. 0] I like the LCD.

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I don't think I need the LCD. I cope without knowing anything about what the CSI cam on my X scooter is filming. I would love the on-off function though. Editing one massive file is a pita.

Not really looking forward to even more weight on a helmet though.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

defied wrote: I wonder if they have a back attachment for the LCD. 0] I like the LCD.

D
Since it's you, I'll have to note that the first link I posted was a hyperlink to the housing that includes the LCD door :BDub: :penelope: :rofl:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:
Not really looking forward to even more weight on a helmet though.
Just an idea, you could wrap the go pro with neoprene to offset the weight for ballast.