adobe elements

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

adobe elements

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Do many NWDC folks use this for photo editing?
dphershman
Aquanaut

Re: adobe elements

Post by dphershman »

Adobe elements is a great program. Although its aimed at the consumer, it has most of the features of Photoshop. For the cost though, I'd recommend Adobe Lightroom. For about the same price as Elements you get a professional tool that organizes and processes your pictures quickly and easily. I use Lightroom almost 100% of the time.

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Elements is a good entry level program with allot of growing room. I use Paint Shop pro X4 ultra which is pretty much on the same level with maybe a few more perks. I like certain features of both programs. I haven't had the luxury of lightroom but I hear it's nice
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

I use PS Elements (version 6.0) for about 60-70 percent of my editing. If all I need to do is basic stuff like cropping, overall sharpening/gamma/brightness adjustments, then I usually use the freeware program Irfanview for that. MUCH faster to load up than Elements...

I've heard many good things about Lightroom, but no personal experience with it. I do most of my organizing outside the actual editing process, so it hasn't been a big issue for me.

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Love. Lightroom.
I have elements but am wery to install since my computer already seems uber overwhelmed.
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

I would recommend to look at both, Lightroom and Elements. Both of those programs have their usage that doesn't necessary overlap.

Lightroom is what you would use 95% of the time for everyday photo management and basic editing, like crop, contrast, brightness, white balance, etc. Lightroom is quite good and convenient for that. Even perspective correction can be done there these days. Sometimes though this is not enough. Operations that involve manipulating multiple images are pretty much absent from Lightroom.

That's when Elements enters the scene. First of all, Elements can be launched right from within Lightroom, passing in either original or a copy if your image for editing. In Elements you can do things like merging panoramas, HDR, or any other operations that involve combining several images. Also, ability to use layers for fine tune retouching is sometimes indispensable.

When you are done with editing, save your image as .psd file and return to Lightroom. All your modifications are visible there, you can continue using Lightroom as photo manager or you can launch Elements again and do some more editing. If you created a new file, just import it into Lightroom and save along with the original one.

Elements, as simplified version of Photoshop, is quite useful tool. I would definitely recommend to try it out.