Help with video formating /saving/exporting

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Help with video formating /saving/exporting

Post by Winter »

Last weekend I went to Salt Creek and I really really really want to get this video in a useable format!
I can only see the video on the camera itself or if I load it into the Image Mixer3 Video Editor, and its in this H.264 video format :computersmash:
WTH?!
I have "saved" the file but it has been saving for 2 hrs and is at 32%
:computersmash: :computersmash: :computersmash:
then I have another file that says extention (.es5)
:nutty:
Then something in media player said unsupported codex that was used to compress the file.
I have NO clue!
I want to cry.
I also Have elements , that I have yet to instal, only because I'm afraid it will crash my system...it runs so s l o w.

Any help would be awesome.
I would love to get some of this video to put on the shop's website!

Thanks,
J. Winter
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Help with video formating /saving/exporting

Post by CaptnJack »

Is it on an SD card? What brand and model camera is it?
H.264/mp4 is a very common native format for most videos. Its used by youtube and blueray disks among others. But its not a common format to edit in. It needs to be converted to .AVI or .MOV to be readily editable.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

canon vixia
hf m500
no sd card..its on the camera itself.
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The Canon site says there's an SD card in there somewhere.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... ifications

Are you trying to copy the file to your hard drive via a USB cable? It supposedly has a high speed USB port so shouldn't take too long if the file size is <10Gb, maybe 15mins. It may go faster if you can get the card out and into a SD slot on your computer. Assuming you have enough hard drive space. The Canon site mentions some sort of transfer software. Are you using that?

You will still need to convert it to edit it with most common editing software.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

I didn't have the sd card in the camera. and i used the image mixer 3 software to transfer it. I can't figure out how to convert it still.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

You have the HF20?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Image mixer only takes the video off of the camera.. You need an editing program.. Also whsts in yr computer ? Pentium speed, graphics card?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

H20doctor wrote:Image mixer only takes the video off of the camera.. You need an editing program.. Also whsts in yr computer ? Pentium speed, graphics card?

And how much memory. Video files are huge and conversion consumes tons of memory. H264 is Hi Def format so it will be a monster program. This is the #1 drawback of video. Try this one. It's free and cnet gave it 5 stars

http://download.cnet.com/iVideo-Convert ... 49489.html
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows 7 should be able to edit video from that camera...(if your home computer is Windows 7 that is)