Video editing software?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Video editing software?

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm thinking to branch out to video ... and knowing next to nothing about it (except that my camera does a reasonably good job of it) I'm looking for some information on video editing software.

What do you use?
What do you like/dislike about it?
Knowing what you know today, would you buy it again?
Why?

What features should someone just getting into video look for?

There seem to be a lot of reasonably-priced software packages available ... I'm just looking for some information before choosing one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Video editing software?

Post by Dusty2 »

Bob I am no expert on video but there are several good ones that can be downloaded for free trial before buying and I would definatley consider try before you buy. Another good source of info is go to www.cnet.com and check their reviews. They give a editors review and users ratings on products and have a large list of downloads you can try.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i use Vegas Pro HD 12 ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

If you're still using that T2i, it really does good video on land. Anxious to see how you produce your dive vids in the future.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Are you using mac or PC?
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

I use Adobe Premiere Pro on both my Mac at home and PCs at school. I haven't used Final Cut, but what I hear from folks is that a lot of people are unhappy with its latest version and are switching. My own experience is that Premiere is getting better all the time. If you like Adobe Photoshop you can get the latest Photoshop and Premiere together in a suite package called 'Adobe Production Premium'.

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ljjames wrote:Are you using mac or PC?
Bob is a PC guy.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

the guy that manages tacoma UWS did a small video class sometime ago, but I dont recall the video editing software he used.

Not expensive, had reasonable effects and transitions. You might contact him.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i will trade video classes , and editing lessons for planned scooter dives Bob ..
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Adobe Premiere Elements is my recommendation. It is both affordable and produces excellent output quality. My prior experience with video editing software was that those two were mutually exclusive.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

you can find hd video plugin for Windows Movie Maker on the net. It's free and does just about any thing you want for UW video.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

ljjames wrote:Are you using mac or PC?
PC ... most likely my laptop (Windows 7 with a Core i5 processor and 8G memory) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

coulterboy wrote:If you're still using that T2i, it really does good video on land. Anxious to see how you produce your dive vids in the future.
Yup, using the T2i ... it does a great job with video. But so far I've only got the one (shark video) that I did a couple months ago. I just downloaded that one straight to YouTube ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Bob, have you tried "Windows Live Movie Maker"? It comes with new computers with windows 7. I'm shooting a canon g12, using a can light with diffuser, and put this combination of stills and video clips together using only movie maker. It's been a great start for me. The DVD I burned played over my HD 50" tv looks spectacular. You should be able to get incredible results with your skills and rig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP4Y35c3 ... ture=g-upl
Cheers!

Ron
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

olyvtx wrote:you can find hd video plugin for Windows Movie Maker on the net. It's free and does just about any thing you want for UW video.
but movie maker is really hard for cutting and shopping edit cuts... and its slow.. and doesnt have all the codecs for different formats..
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

H20doctor wrote:
olyvtx wrote:you can find hd video plugin for Windows Movie Maker on the net. It's free and does just about any thing you want for UW video.
but movie maker is really hard for cutting and shopping edit cuts... and its slow.. and doesnt have all the codecs for different formats..
true that....BUT it's free! And, he may find after a while that video isn't his thing...like i did. I dropped a couple hundred on Pinnacle Studio. I haven't used it in years, deleted from my hdd.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

olyvtx wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
true that....BUT it's free! And, he may find after a while that video isn't his thing...like i did. I dropped a couple hundred on Pinnacle Studio. I haven't used it in years, deleted from my hdd.
free is always good :supz: :supz: :supz: , there is a vegas pro HD 11 at target for 45.00... it does everything the expensive versions do
MikeMeagher
Dive-aholic

Post by MikeMeagher »

Used to use adobe premier elements. Then i outgrew its capabilities. Now use Vegas Pro 11 and will be upgrading to ver 12 soon. I love Vegas Pro. It has all the advanced tools such as Scopes and other high end tools. Like all things in life you get what you pay for.
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Re: RE: Video editing software?

Post by dewmercer »

I use Adobe Premier CS6. Its very expensive but Adobe has a rental program where you can rent it for a month at a time or for a year with monthly payments. I use Adobe After Effects for colour correction.
Adobe Premier Elements can be had for around $100 at frys. Not sure what it's capabilities are.
The features I use most are
Rendering H.264 720p to a MP4 container
Adjusting the speed of a clip to sync it with music.
Transitions between clips
Removal of underwater audio
Titles

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
--
DAve Mercer
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I too, recommend Windows Live Movie Maker if you are just starting out. Also, unless your Laptop is pretty beefy, editing HD video will be a pain if you are going to jump into using any Adobe software as they are pretty resource hungry. HD video + high end video apps = lots o' resources.
Windows Movie maker allows you to trim, split, and alter video however the only thing I didnt like about it was sometimes if you have a LONG piece of footage, it takes a while to load into the cache allowing you to edit it.
Good things are, dropping music into the program is a cinch, adding effects and scene segways is simple, and just all around editing is pretty sweet.
Maybe consider using something simple like this for a while until you start learning what you really need. This may help answer any questions you may have before shelling out money for Premier or something like that.

My 2 psi
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**