Another New UW Photographer

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
GRH
Frequent Bubbler

Another New UW Photographer

Post by GRH »

Over a year after taking my OW class I am finally attempting underwater photography. I did plan from the start to develop reasonable buoyancy control and planning before adding the additional task loading of UW photography but never thought more than a year would go by before I did.

I took my 50th dive Saturday, November 17th, and took my D3S underwater with me for the event. I’ve taken it with me on a two previous dives but ran into an issue where the Live View button was pressed as soon as I reached 10 feet or so, leaving me without access to the LCD. I suppose I could count a shallow, ambient light outing in the warm waters of the Virgin Islands but that almost seems like cheating compared with diving in Puget Sound.

Saturday I moved the Live view lever up and away from the guide and for the first time had some feedback after taking shots. Not that I made any changes; I was content for this dive just to get the feel of the housing and know I was capturing something. Now I can begin the journey of understanding strobe positioning and power combined with appropriate SS and aperture settings based on lens and port configuration. Plus I need to work on how to do that reverse frog kick.

Buoyancy control is definitely more of a challenge, yet manageable, while attempting to set up a shot with a large housing and a couple strobes. I was beginning to feel good about my rapidly improving SAC rate that increased significantly on my Saturday dive with a camera. I assume that will drop as I get more comfortable.

It has been a long process testing my patience. A lot has happened. Of course the D4 was released, which I now use for my sports photography, but the D3S is still a fine camera and it is nice to have a third body on the sidelines at times anyway.

What a blast I had. The dive was too short and my constant grin was making my mask leak. I can't wait to start working on becoming an UW photographer.

Here is the token first shot of a tiny squid that was not happy to see me. Obviously the hot spot and more shadow than I like tells me my strobe positioning was not ideal but it is a start.

ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: Another New UW Photographer

Post by ktb »

Gorgeous color on that!

Um yeah . . . you're doing just fine for a "beginner."
Kelly
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Glad to hear you took your time and got your basics down first. Now the adventure begins.
bm5w
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bm5w »

Congrats on your first successful dive with a camera! I'm looking forward to more photos and, of course, diving together soon.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Nice shot George ... let's set up a dive for next week or so ... I get back on the 25th ... I'll take you to lumpsucker country ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/